Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone else interested in a stiffer aftermarket chainstay that will accept bigger tires on an Id?

(yep, my bottom bracket is too low on my Id;))

PS: I know someone asked this before, but the truth is, I like big tires and even moderate tires have a cramped clearance issue.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
What type of rear wheel are you using, I have noticed a significant difference between my built wheel CK ISO disc DT spokes Bonty Mustang compared to using a Mavic UST cross roc for example!

Also I have switched to using CK fun bolts which make a huge difference to rear end stiffness ,not that I found my rear ends on either the Moment or ID flex, I weigh 90kgs and ride hard and I am the classic rear end skidder but I have noticed a big difference with fun bolts compared to skewers, this goes for most of the other high end brands as well.

Course won't necessary help with tyre clearance, I personally don't find this a problem at all with the Moment, and when riding Id for I can use 2.3 inch down depending on terrain. Mainly I run a 2.1 rear for general trail riding and a 2.2 front (ID) when racing I use anything from a 2.1,2.0, or 1.9 depending on tyre brand and course type. But tyres are a personal choice

High volume tyres like Tioga are great on the ID 2.1 Blue dragon rear 2.3 yellow Kirin front is a good combo for trail riding.

Later

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
trailadvent said:
What type of rear wheel are you using, I have noticed a significant difference between my built wheel CK ISO disc DT spokes Bonty Mustang compared to using a Mavic UST cross roc for example!

Also I have switched to using CK fun bolts which make a huge difference to rear end stiffness ,not that I found my rear ends on either the Moment or ID flex, I weigh 90kgs and ride hard and I am the classic rear end skidder but I have noticed a big difference with fun bolts compared to skewers, this goes for most of the other high end brands as well.

Course won't necessary help with tyre clearance, I personally don't find this a problem at all with the Moment, and when riding Id for I can use 2.3 inch down depending on terrain. Mainly I run a 2.1 rear for general trail riding and a 2.2 front (ID) when racing I use anything from a 2.1,2.0, or 1.9 depending on tyre brand and course type. But tyres are a personal choice

High volume tyres like Tioga are great on the ID 2.1 Blue dragon rear 2.3 yellow Kirin front is a good combo for trail riding.

Later
Right now I have a geax sturdy 2.25 on the rear and it barely slides through, but is the best so far in a rear I like. However, any mud, it clogs and it grabs small pebbles and beats of the stay to hell. I wanted to run Pana FR2.4 tires but forget it (what I use on the front). other Tires I would like include the Kenda nevegal line. Prolly the small one will fit but not the biggie.

I used a king hub back there and considered fun bolts but haven't tried them.

Before I got my Id, I was really bummed with the clearance of the truth. The seatstay clearance was nill and they improved that on the id with the bigger seat stay but the chainstay is now the limit.

I guess most people are content with smaller tires. I love big tires...even on my hardtail. Bummer that it takes bigger tires than my Id.

I considered funbolts but haven't hear a lick about them.

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
lidarman said:
Right now I have a geax sturdy 2.25 on the rear and it barely slides through, but is the best so far in a rear I like. However, any mud, it clogs and it grabs small pebbles and beats of the stay to hell. I wanted to run Pana FR2.4 tires but forget it (what I use on the front). other Tires I would like include the Kenda nevegal line. Prolly the small one will fit but not the biggie.

I used a king hub back there and considered fun bolts but haven't tried them.

Before I got my Id, I was really bummed with the clearance of the truth. The seatstay clearance was nill and they improved that on the id with the bigger seat stay but the chainstay is now the limit.

I guess most people are content with smaller tires. I love big tires...even on my hardtail. Bummer that it takes bigger tires than my Id.

I considered funbolts but haven't hear a lick about them.
Definitely worth a try you'll notice a big diff in stiffness, tyres are bigger than I run on my ID
I guess for that stuff I use the moment anyways, have you tried a Nevegal or Yellow Kirin
or another option Ive used and really like esspecially on the front has been a Intense system 4 2.2inch great tyre, no good for Mud though, when it gets muddy I go to a smaller rear.

·
Time is not a road.
4,150 Posts
I've got a gently used Tioga Blue Dragon you could try...I could leave it at Mtn High. But I didn't like the tire for my application. It rolls fast and grip is good most of the time, but it won't dig in to deep loose over hardpack and it's crap when wet. Also, it didn't grip to the sandstone like the Kendas. I'm back on Kendas for now.

·
Registered
85 Posts
height/volume issue

So far, the problem I've come across is tire height. I've found that Hutchinsons and Tiogas run bigger than many other brands with the same claimed size. I was unable to fit a 2.3 Hutchinson Octopus into the chainstays vertically speaking...too tall.

Without any width or height issues, I've successfully fit the following combos into a 2004 Id with the square stays:

WTB Speed Disc (24mm rim) with WTB Motoraptor 2.24
Sun Single Track (28mm rim) with Maxxis High Roller 2.35 ST (single ply sidewall, 850gm version)

I may also try a 2.25 IRC Trailbear w/Single Track when the trails dry out, but I'm not sure that it will fit.

My guess is that Ellsworth is not motivated to allow people to set their Ids up any burlier, since they have the Moment now and are taking the Id in a shorter travel direction for the upcoming model. Wider stays would be welcome to many though. Maybe BETD or Risse will come up with something, but I'm sure it would void the warranty. Whether that really matters is a rhetorical question, so let's not even have that conversation

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Must be me I can’t see why you would want to run such big tyres in the rear.
In mud I always use a smaller tyre which chews through mud easier and clears quicker.
On trails I ride I have no problems using a high volume 2.1 or 2.0 tyre on the ID this is more than wide enough for me and I ride aggressively and also do some mild jumping and drops.
Where I have found a problem is with some brands of tyre which are smaller than in the past, with light side walls, not the other way around so sometimes you need to go to a 2.3 in those brands the high roller is an example very narrow in a 2.1 yet my 2.0 Hutchinson is like a 2.3 compared to it. Another option is UST tyres, you can run lower pressure get the feel of a larger tyre have better grip, stiffer side walls, and roll faster, last longer etc..

I think you just need to find a tyre that works for you not so much the width of the ID rear I just don’t see it as a problem, no more so than any other bike I’ve owned, I’ve ridden with some other big name brands in some of the crappest mud/clay this side of the black stump and kept going when they have been clogged and had to push clean etc only my 2cs worth hope you get it sorted

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.