Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i have a bike addiction and i have been playing with the idea of selling my RM7( i use this as my xc bike). The weight on this bike is 38# and i ride/live in the Pisgah area, i never shuttle and climbs are never avoided.
My question is , will the percieved effort over a 30 mile ride be more or less on a ss than on a big squishy in typical Pisgah conditions.
I have a couple of other bikes so i will not be limited to only the ss, but since the RM7 is my most ridden bike the ss will have to be as much fun as pedaling a 7" travel 38# bike uphill.
How will my legs feel???

·
zeebot
1,125 Posts
thadthetroll said:
Well, i have a bike addiction and i have been playing with the idea of selling my RM7( i use this as my xc bike). The weight on this bike is 38# and i ride/live in the Pisgah area, i never shuttle and climbs are never avoided.
My question is , will the percieved effort over a 30 mile ride be more or less on a ss than on a big squishy in typical Pisgah conditions.
I have a couple of other bikes so i will not be limited to only the ss, but since the RM7 is my most ridden bike the ss will have to be as much fun as pedaling a 7" travel 38# bike uphill.
How will my legs feel???
Personally, I think riding a single speed will seem much more enjoyable. I've found i ride quite a bit faster on the pisgah style trails with my one gear hardtail than any geared person i've been with thus far. Last time i was in pisgah, about 3 weeks ago, i rented an ellsworth ID that was pushing the mid 30# range. While it was fun to ride down i was WAY faster climbing on my single speed. I'm not sure if it was because of the weight, the extra gears allowing me to not push as hard, or the squish factor.

Some of the climbing ability may depend on the weight of your SS and definitely the ratio. for pisgah i run a 34-21 and am quite happy. i could maybe see 34-20 but below that would be pain. Mines pretty light around 21.x pounds. Also, you have to like to stand up a lot. no more sore butt but maybe your legs will argue. I was in good shape when i made the transition to SS from a squishmaster and didnt have any issues besides my hands going raw from the constant wrenching SS requires when climbing hills but i've heard others complain about their legs not being strong enough at first when they ride the SS. you build leg strength fast though and you will have some mean pads on your paw in no time:) the first few rides will probably be painful one way or another then youll probably never want to ride a geared bike again except for maybe some bombing descents:)

Good luck!

I really don't see the big draw on full suspension. i hate riding them:)

·
Registered
129 Posts
drop the weight factor and enjoy the shear simplicity of the singlespeed. i love the quiet harmonious sound of her with nature, no chainslap, no additional levers to dork with, just you, your legs and the trail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.