Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Plays with tools
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sort of, it's a cruiser tandem. The holes measure at 3.4 mm. I have some of the Sapim Strong spokes on the way but those are only 2.3, leaves a lot of extra room in there that I would like to fill up with something. Those spokes are not big enough to keep from wiggling around in the flange which will lead to premature failure.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
customfab said:
Sort of, it's a cruiser tandem. The holes measure at 3.4 mm. I have some of the Sapim Strong spokes on the way but those are only 2.3, leaves a lot of extra room in there that I would like to fill up with something. Those spokes are not big enough to keep from wiggling around in the flange which will lead to premature failure.
They will only wiggle around if their tension becomes less than zero. When this happens (if it ever happens) you have more to worry about than wiggly spokes.

·
transmitter~receiver
9,334 Posts
3.4mm is huge! :eek:
The 14ga spokes I happen to have here only measure 3.8mm across the widest part of the head, so I think washers may help from a bearing area standpoint.
Looks like DT Swiss makes a 2.5mm washer (inside diameter) and I found some for sale on the 'Bay.
If you have some 2.2mm washers lying around you might try seeing how it works to put one on a spoke as far as it will go and setting the spoke head into it with a punch to get some additional necking of the washer.
Post up how it ends up working out.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

·
Plays with tools
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike T. said:
They will only wiggle around if their tension becomes less than zero. When this happens (if it ever happens) you have more to worry about than wiggly spokes.
My personal experience tells me otherwise. Maybe wiggle is a bad way to put it. Obviously to truly wiggle the spoke must reach zero tension, however if there is no support for the spoke head (like with a hole that is too big) it will cause premature failure at the bend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.