Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I went to the Big South Fork Park In Scott County, Tennessee yesterday. The temperature was about 25*f with about a 15*f wind chill. This was our first 'real' trail ride. Even being cold and feeling like our toes may fall off, we had a blast.:) We cannot wait for some warmer weather.

At the start getting the bikes ready.

A look from the parking lot. We were the only ones at the park all day!

Trail leading to the first trail, Charit Creek.

The trail we decided to take lead us strait to this so called 'creek'. It was about 30 feet wide and about 3-4 feet deep in the center. We ended up having to trek back up about a half mile long steep icy hill to try a different trail.

Here was the sign telling us to go through the water with our bikes laying down at its bank.

The next one we decided to try, Collier Ridge Loop.

Taking a quick break for lunch.

This one looks better!:cool:

Here is what we had to deal with on parts of the trail. The leaves were sitting atop of about 2-3" of ice cycles. I have never seen anything like it before. This was pretty hard to ride on.

A close-up of the ice cycles we were riding on.

Trail head of the next one we got in right before sunset.

Had to stop for a picture!

Nice view right off of the trail.

Here is the sunset just after we returned to my truck. The heat felt great!

Thanks for looking!
-Brett

·
bottom dweller
90 Posts
good and cold

I've fly fished there when I used to live closer but never got to Mt bike there. glad to see there's some good trails and that you're enjoying them.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
468 Posts
You should drop into Charit Creek Lodge. It's a really cool place. Don't expect electricity though! A great weekend would be to make reservations at the hostel there and ride some of the area and hike up to Twin Arches and look around. Super cool area for backpacking too! I make a trip there nearly every year.

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
Thanks for posting. We need more interest in mountain in National Parks! How can you help? thanks for asking...

go here and support new MTB trail at the New River Gorge in WV!

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?parkId=259&projectId=28775

Sample text:
(Feel free to add your own language, or use our suggested text below to complete the NPS commentary form.)

Dear National Park Service,

I support the construction of a new stacked-loop mountain bike trail system, located in New River Gorge National River.

New trail construction -- including good sight lines and well-designed trail layout -- will allow for an enjoyable recreation experience for all user groups. Scientific research funded by the NPS shows the environmental impacts of mountain biking are similar to those of hiking and less than other allowed uses.

IMBA members recognize the backlog of maintenance needs for public trails and donate nearly one million hours of volunteer trail stewardship each year nationally. Mountain bike volunteers are willing to help the agency construct and maintain this trail, bringing a new base of volunteer energy and support to New River Gorge National River.

I also applaud the expansion of this Environmental Assessment to include the existing trail network.

Thank you for considering my comments as you develop the plans for a shared-use trail system. This would be a terrific asset for New River Gorge and the surrounding communities.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shockfinder said:
You should drop into Charit Creek Lodge. It's a really cool place. Don't expect electricity though! A great weekend would be to make reservations at the hostel there and ride some of the area and hike up to Twin Arches and look around. Super cool area for backpacking too! I make a trip there nearly every year.
We plan on doing more here soon. The twin arches is one of the places we are going to hike the next time we go to the park. She lives within 30 minutes of there so it is pretty doable for us several times a year.

-Brett

·
Registered
340 Posts
k2biker said:
Thanks for posting. We need more interest in mountain in National Parks! How can you help? thanks for asking...

go here and support new MTB trail at the New River Gorge in WV!

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?parkId=259&projectId=28775

Sample text:
(Feel free to add your own language, or use our suggested text below to complete the NPS commentary form.)

Dear National Park Service,

I support the construction of a new stacked-loop mountain bike trail system, located in New River Gorge National River.

New trail construction -- including good sight lines and well-designed trail layout -- will allow for an enjoyable recreation experience for all user groups. Scientific research funded by the NPS shows the environmental impacts of mountain biking are similar to those of hiking and less than other allowed uses.

IMBA members recognize the backlog of maintenance needs for public trails and donate nearly one million hours of volunteer trail stewardship each year nationally. Mountain bike volunteers are willing to help the agency construct and maintain this trail, bringing a new base of volunteer energy and support to New River Gorge National River.

I also applaud the expansion of this Environmental Assessment to include the existing trail network.

Thank you for considering my comments as you develop the plans for a shared-use trail system. This would be a terrific asset for New River Gorge and the surrounding communities.
Thanks for this. I just commented, using your template and adding some of my own thoughts.

To the OP, Congrats on the new bikes and being out there. As you have found, nothing better. Winter riding comes with that solitude that is so very nice as well.

John

·
Registered
56 Posts
Brett
Congrats on your new passion...it is a wonderful sport that I have enjoyed since 1989.

Our club is responsible for maintaining some of those trails at BSFork. We would love to have each of you join us for group rides. We can show you a few more nice rides in the park and we take a special interest in newbies to the sport...always glad to have beginners ride with us..we never drop anyone on any ride. If you are interested, send me a PM or ask someone at Bandy Creek Visitor Center..they will give you a contact phone number.

This is a great time of year to be riding at BSF. As another poster said, try the Grand Gap trail for good views of the river gorge ..esp since the leaves are off of the trees. There are also some nice rock shelters to ride by on that trail and it only has a couple of short technical spots..most of it is smooth sailing singletrack. This time of year you might see a few backpackers so yield to them please.

:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.