Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
NedwannaB
12,772 Posts
Looks like a mighty fine venue. Heard they had epic con conditions on long coursea couple years ago.
Are you doing it on a retro vintage?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Big Sandy race bump. I rode the pro/expert course today at amateur/beginner speed, the course was excellent, the flowers blooming. Come on down next weekend and enjoy the trail.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My advice is have fun and don't get hurt. If you care about winning get to the front because there's not many places to pass especially in the first few miles of trail. And save me some General Shermans Ale.

·
menace to myself & others
370 Posts
And note that those results show Ron (a/k/a Tyrone) crushed all of us in the Pro/Expert SS. Spectacular work, Ron!

Also, the new stupid-long course was not as brutal as I expected! Even after 30-whatever miles I still did the last climb faster than I've done it before. And I was pretty wrecked at the end, but not so wrecked I couldn't take a driving shift on the way home.

This race continues to be one of my faves. Just excellent.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I've seen a couple Stravas from the race. 6600ft of climbing in 36 miles, that's a lot of climbing!

·
more skier than biker
2,384 Posts
Ha. Thx Sasha. I guess i had the right gear. Good seein ya there.

I love the Big Sandy. I always wonder why more people dont do it. I hear so many complaints about such and such race not having enough singletrack. And this and that race being all lame eAsy stuff. Big sandy is none of that. All singletrack. Great descents. Tech stuff. Fast stuff. Flowy stuff. Hard stuff. A real mtb'ers kinda course with 3 distance options, free beer, free post race food, and a great grassroots vibe with prize money for pro men, pro women, and pro/exp SS'ers. Attendance is good but i always wondered why it isn't more....

·
menace to myself & others
370 Posts
Ha. Thx Sasha. I guess i had the right gear. Good seein ya there.

I love the Big Sandy. I always wonder why more people dont do it. I hear so many complaints about such and such race not having enough singletrack. And this and that race being all lame eAsy stuff. Big sandy is none of that. All singletrack. Great descents. Tech stuff. Fast stuff. Flowy stuff. Hard stuff. A real mtb'ers kinda course with 3 distance options, free beer, free post race food, and a great grassroots vibe with prize money for pro men, pro women, and pro/exp SS'ers. Attendance is good but i always wondered why it isn't more....
(I think it's more that you had the right legs, not so much that you had the the right gear)

I totally agree. Great race, great trails, great vibe. More people should do it!

I've seen a couple Stravas from the race. 6600ft of climbing in 36 miles, that's a lot of climbing!
Brewtality, we prerode the upper loop the day before ('cause it's super fun) and I realized it's 8ish miles and 1600 feet of climbing. Serious business! Most of the elevation, though, comes in rolling chunks. There're not a lot of places to rest, but there're also not that many endless climbs, either.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts