Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoooooooee! Hit a big rock at warp speed and blew both tubes instantly.

Crashed down and slid on my knees and left elbow across a big flat ledge of rough rock.

Whacked both my thighs across the handlebar on the way past. Lots of blood...:eek:

The walk out was hell.

Still .... i've had worse :eekster:

Bike is ok. 29'ers are tough... but i'm gonna be a very sore boy tomorrow.. :(

I guess I was going a bit too fast. I blame it all on the Nevegals...lol.. :D

R.

·
A Surly Maverick
2,707 Posts
That`s one of the advantages of Full Suss RM, if you do `overcook` it you are more likely to come out of it dermally intact !;)

Seriously though,hope you`re ok, hot baths and plently of analgesia + TLC.

Best wishes Dr FG:thumbsup:

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Best Wishes For A Speedy Recovery!

Ahh..............Sounds painful!

Blew out both tubes? Wow! When you are feeling better perhaps you could elaborate. Until then, take it easy! Hope to hear you are healthy and riding again soon!

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ted...havn't taken the tires off yet...i'm too sore to work on that till tomorrow...

I'll let you know when I have a good look ....

R.

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
speedy recovery rainman.
hey would you happen to be a pilot or ex pilot? i've only ever heard "prang" from ex military pilots (like my dad).

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,359 Posts
Were you knackered at the end of the walk?

Sorry, just wanted to use that word:)

Speedy recovery, and you should wear some pads the way you ride.

You'll probably get a (loving) earful from the wifey.

·
Only dead people are old
729 Posts
Rainman said:
Whoooooooee....I guess I was going a bit too fast...
Yep, been there before - too fast that is...Here's what my knee looked like after going from 28 to 0 mph in a few seconds or less on my SS during a catastrophic chain of events...

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Get well soon.
That`s one of the advantages of Full Suss RM, if you do `overcook` it you are more likely to come out of it dermally intact !
Of course, the main disadvantage of full sus is that when it all does go pear shaped you are going alot faster!!:eek:

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Whoa...were these 29er tubes? I thought they were magical tubes....no unicorns and fairies flew in to assist in your fall? No fantastic boquet of throw pillows appeared below you as you met terra firma?
How odd.

......just jokes...hope you heal up soon!

·
OMR - Old Man Riding
429 Posts
I could have done with out that!

Super E said:
Yep, been there before - too fast that is...Here's what my knee looked like after going from 28 to 0 mph in a few seconds or less on my SS during a catastrophic chain of events...
Holy big knee Batman... how long did it take to recover from that?

OMR...:cool:

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ahhhhhh...you guys...make me smile. :)

Thanks for the good wishes..I'm very sore this morning... and will be ok in a few days.

I've had a quick look at the tubes and they are both snake bites. I was obviously running the pressure too low [20psi] and hitting the edge of the rock at that speed simply compressed both tires enough to split the tubes open and dump me.

I was sort of expecting this to happen sooner or later because of the increased grip of these new Nevegals. My riding has been getting progressively faster ever since I fitted them.

The accident happened in the late afternoon and I had the setting sunlight in my eyes which made me misjudge the size of the rock. I was carrying a spare tube but only one...so I considered that by the time I replaced it I may as well walk out as it was going to be getting dark soon.

Also..my left leg was killing me and I knew I had to keep moving or it would just lock up on me, another good reason to walk it out.

I must remember to carry two tubes from now on.. :)

Thanks,

R.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bikecop said:
speedy recovery rainman.
hey would you happen to be a pilot or ex pilot? i've only ever heard "prang" from ex military pilots (like my dad).
I have been known to fly a bit in my younger days... :D

I guess the language I use dates me... :D

R.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.