Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a set of fenders. Leaning towards the Mud Shovels over the Grand D.A.D. and M.O.M., but then I came across The Big O fenders. Looks like the have a bike "kit" depending on the bike. Unfortunately their website does not have many pics. Looks decent from what I can see, anyone using them? The are over double the price of the Mud Shovels, trying to decide whether they are worth the cost.

Big O Manufacturing, LLC Home Page

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use them on my fat commuter (pugsley). I like them. Sturdy and great coverage.

I also use mud shovels on my beach and trail fatbikes. I like them because they are quick on and off and cover reasonably well. You will get more splash from them versus the BigO fenders, though. Especially your feet - the diwntube "fenders" pretty much direct the water to your feet - especially at speed.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
The LBS has installed a few on bikes. LBS owner complained about the amount of drilling and time it takes to install the fenders, as if I remember correctly, they come with the fenders and mounting hardware, but no mounting locations on the fenders?

Once installed though, they are a very nice and a substantial fender. The complete fender package is definitely a quality setup. Much nicer imho opinion than a mudshovel (which I have).

I think they would be great for light mud and some snow conditions, but not sure if they would clog up in heavy mud and slushy snow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was a bit worried about having to stop and scrape them out mid-ride. No pre-drilled holes is a non-starter for me though. I like the quick on and off of the mud shovels, but I was curious about the Big O's, more bang for the buck is always a good thing. Guess I will go with mud-shovels, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I installed a set on my bike (2014 Pugsley). It is a bit tricky. I like the look of a fender tight to the tire but wasn't interested in scraping out the clogs of mud and snow so I mounted with a bit more clearance. The trade off there is mucho toe overlap making it not so good on slow tight singletrail. I like the look but am afraid they will be coming off (a not so quick proposition) when riding the tight stuff.

·
my body breaks the falls
1,455 Posts
I run a set of the "short & fat" on my Muk. Like most fat bike parts, they did require a little improvisation, but in the end worked out fine. Rear wheel comes off fine and the short fender still provides ample coverage. It would be nice it there were a quick release method to install, but I don't mind running them all the time. I shortened the front to reduce the amount it twisted.

IMG_0761.JPG

IMG_1008.JPG

·
Registered
34 Posts
With the Big O fenders on a Pug, can you pull the rear tire without taking fenders off?
Yes- only requires a minor wiggle to get the tire tread past the rear caliper. I rode it yesterday on some muddy trails. Didn't notice toe overlap as bad as I did just doing circles in front of the house. Surprisingly there was no mud clumping in the fender at all. That makes me happy

·
MN/WI
238 Posts
I live in the Twin Cities and got them installed by Big O for free. There's supposed to be a larger set coming out for the Moonlander-sized tires. Only issue I've hand is the bolt loosening up on the rear fender. Added some mud flaps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, looking to purchase a Pug and will need fenders. The Big O's seem to be a good choice, I was just a bit worried about wheel removal with the rear load dropouts on the Pug. I don't want flat fixes at 5am in 0*F weather to be any harder than they need to be.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Big O fenders.

They are a bit of a pain to install initially (you have to drill the holes). But after the first time, on and off takes about 15 minutes.

I see they're now available for On-One Fatty, Krampus and Karate Monkey. I'd like them for my Moonlander.

They look good on my Pugsley.
P1010401.jpg

I made a front mud flap out of an old tube, some scrap metal and a couple of zip ties.
P1010406.jpg

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, looking to purchase a Pug and will need fenders. The Big O's seem to be a good choice, I was just a bit worried about wheel removal with the rear load dropouts on the Pug. I don't want flat fixes at 5am in 0*F weather to be any harder than they need to be.
Why do you have fenders on at 0*F? Here in Anchorage I put my fenders on when the spring break up starts and take them off when the snow flies.

The only time I get wet with my big O fenders is when I am rallying through puddles and the overspray from the front tire gets my toes wet when my toes drop below the fender.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why do you have fenders on at 0*F? Here in Anchorage I put my fenders on when the spring break up starts and take them off when the snow flies.

The only time I get wet with my big O fenders is when I am rallying through puddles and the overspray from the front tire gets my toes wet when my toes drop below the fender.
Our temps fluctuate enough that one week it will be 0* and the next it will be 35*, add into that the large amounts of salt put on the roads and you basically need to run fenders all winter. I run fenders year round on my commuter bikes and I am pretty close to putting fenders on everything I own except for my dedicated trail bikes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Big O fenders

15.jpg I bought the big O fenders, they real nice people to deal with, I did have some trouble because of my E-type front derailleur rubbing but they give you spacers, I also used Surly monkey nuts to move the rear tire back some, but they are real strong and work great :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is Big O Manufacturing still making fenders?

Does anyone know if Big O Manufacturing is still in business? I'd love to get full fenders for my Motobecane Night Train fat bike, but a visit to the website yields the following for at least the past few days:

Down for Maintenance

This store is currently unavailable due to maintenance. It should be available again shortly.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

http://stores.bigomfg.com/

·
Registered
548 Posts
Give 'em some more time. Should be worth your patience.
I've got 'em on my Pugs, and I love 'em! They keep me and bike clean and mostly "spatter free" when bombing thru puddles and crossing small creeks.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts