Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm a big guy (6' 4", 280 lbs.) and I ride a Gary Fisher Marlin. I've been riding on the same stock shock (RST 281) for about 5 years. I haven't hit many trails so it hasn't bothered me too much, but this thing is JUNK. It bottoms out on almost every bump and then doesn't return.

Here is my dilemma: I am a poor college student, so my budget is no more than $200. I'd like to hit the trails more and also not bottom out going off curbs, haha.

What should I look for and where should I look for it? Is it possible to even find a shock that will support me well for under 200 bones? Anything's gotta be better than this RST!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same dillemna. I'm 230ish and have a air shock now...heard that springs were the way to go and not to exceed 80mm of travel. I want to spend less than 500...any help would be great...thanks

spruce

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
bobcatpilot said:
What about a Rock Shox Pilot XC? I've seen a few of those on eBay relatively cheap. They run 80-100mm.

Any Marzocchi's in particular?

Thanks!
Pliot is a very low end OEM. The reason for Marzocchi is price, parts availability, ease of service and they require vertually no maintenance. The coil/oil system is very nice and plush once set up correctly. I would suggest looking into reviews on mtbr and decide where to go from there. You need no more than 100mm fork, 80mm ideally.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
UMineralKasherT said:
I have the same dillemna. I'm 230ish and have a air shock now...heard that springs were the way to go and not to exceed 80mm of travel. I want to spend less than 500...any help would be great...thanks

spruce
You have a totally different budget here. Look into Fox forx. And again, read reviews on various models.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Deffinately go Marzocchi....

bobcatpilot said:
Alright, I'm a big guy (6' 4", 280 lbs.) and I ride a Gary Fisher Marlin. I've been riding on the same stock shock (RST 281) for about 5 years. I haven't hit many trails so it hasn't bothered me too much, but this thing is JUNK. It bottoms out on almost every bump and then doesn't return.

Here is my dilemma: I am a poor college student, so my budget is no more than $200. I'd like to hit the trails more and also not bottom out going off curbs, haha.

What should I look for and where should I look for it? Is it possible to even find a shock that will support me well for under 200 bones? Anything's gotta be better than this RST!
To be specific the Marzocchi MX Comp with the air preload would be the way to go. The system consists of one side coil spring and one side low pressure air. The spring does the primary suspension duties and you use the air side to set the proper sag. The fork is quite reactive to bumps, the air preload helps with bottoming as air is exremely progressive and serves to ramp up the spring rate in the last 15 to 20% of the travel stroke. When the pressure is properly set so as to sag the standard 20 to 25% of total travel you will rarely bottom the fork out. The 2005 model you would be looking for is the MX Comp Coil, available in 85 or 105mm travel, the 2004 Model is just the MX Comp, also available in 85 or 105mm. Some really good deals can be had on the 04 models if you can find them. Very simple design, very durable and very easy to service. I would recommend steering clear of either model with the ETA lockout system. Nothing wrong with them and the ETA works fine. But it is an added cost item and slightly complicates maintenance. Not a bad thing to have if you do allot of off road with long climbs, but not really necessary otherwise. That's the way I would go. The only thing that you would need besides the fork would be a low pressure fork/shock pump to add the air for the preload.

Good Dirt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.