Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Glass Breaker
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Stock XT build with seatpost switched for a Salsa shaft and stem switched for a 110 mm Promoto, with a 3-ring Tooth Fairy added, bought from Freeze Thaw Cycles in State College when they were $2500.

Well I've had her for awhile and beat her like she didn't deserve and here's what went wrong...

Chain suck leading to major paint carnage on the forged region of the chain stay solved by a Salsa warranty replacement of the Race Face Deus XC with Shimano SLX.

Loose BB pivot on drive side fixed by LBS.

Shredded rear derailleur cable housing fixed by me.

Constantly loose Shimano XT rear hub after riding through rocky sections fixed by keeping cone wrenches in my pack.

Numerous pinch flats from over riding with too low of pressure, fixed by ghetto Gorilla Tape tubeless of the rear Nevegal.

Bent 30 tooth cog of 11-34 XT cassette, still involved with warranty process with Shimano, replaced with 11-32 XT cassette I had on hand.

Paint chips, scrapes, cable rub, heel rub through paint/primer down to metal most covered with stickers and clear vinyl.

Dented rear rotor by huge rock kicked up by lead rider will be fixed with an Ashima when I get my hands on one.

Hand numbness during extended climbs and during rock garden riding, somewhat fixed by going with Ergons.

Future plans are Hadley 10 mm bolt on rear hub re-laced to current Semi rim but with double butted spokes and install my White Brothers 110 Fluid TA and some wide flange hub re-laced to the current Semi rim with double butted spokes matched with some lower rolling resistance tires like the Ardent 2.4". Maybe switch to SRAM X9 or some 10 speed foolishness with a 2 ring front when I dominate the Shadow.

All in all, I'd say it's a decent bike for the price, and a smoking bike for the $1800 it bottomed out at. I'm keeping her the duration as this will be my first bike I bought new since I started re-riding in 2005.

Every scratch and broken bit is mine and I love her for it.

·
rth009
959 Posts
You got a warranty replacement from Salsa for your PoS Race Face crank, eh? I emailed with them for weeks about that. They told me to have my LBS contact race face for new chain rings, which I did, but the race face turbine chain rings they sent did absolutely nothing. I finally had to purchase my own XT crankset.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Same here, Salsa sent me the replacement rings, via laocal shop and they did nothing, I ended up buying a xt crank, problem solved. Had the same thing happen with rear hub, but tightened everything up once and it's been fine since, probably going to replace that this winter.
It took a bit to get her dialed in but now I'm really liking the ride.

·
rth009
959 Posts
Funny you guys both mention the rear XT hub, mine is toast as well. Even after it was cleaned and repacked it either wobbles and spins good or it is tight and wont roll worth a crap, but never both. Got some Stans ZTRs laced to some Stan's Flows on the way though.

I also agree that it took a while, some time emailing Salsa, a new XT crankset, and way too many trips to the LBS, but once I got my Big Mama dialed in, it's is pretty fantastic. 1650 miles and counting

·
Glass Breaker
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
STT GUY said:
Did anyone here have the bottom shock mount bushings develop free play...?
Yes. Thought it was the DU bushing and took it into the shop to have them replace it since it was still under service warranty through them. Turns out the bottom bolt through that mounting point is longer than required and bottoms out on the threaded shaft that goes through the bushing. Salsa's fix is a stainless steel washer between the bolt head and the mounting location on the frame. Tighten the bolt while holding the shaft end until you feel resistance and then maybe a quarter turn more. The LBS that solved my scenario may have torqued to some spec, but it was loose after the first ride. Performed the resistance plus a quarter technique and it's been good ever since.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
Had the same condition on my frame, every time I picked it up, it would "clunk" as the shock unweighted. Contacted Salsa, they provided the info to add a washer, done and done. I put a washer on both sides.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
agentorangemen said:
Yes. Thought it was the DU bushing and took it into the shop to have them replace it since it was still under service warranty through them. Turns out the bottom bolt through that mounting point is longer than required and bottoms out on the threaded shaft that goes through the bushing. Salsa's fix is a stainless steel washer between the bolt head and the mounting location on the frame. Tighten the bolt while holding the shaft end until you feel resistance and then maybe a quarter turn more. The LBS that solved my scenario may have torqued to some spec, but it was loose after the first ride. Performed the resistance plus a quarter technique and it's been good ever since.
Yep... I replaced the DU bushing and the play came back in a couple of rides.

Any idea what size that washer is so i can pick one up before tearing it apart? I'll use some blue loctite on it.

Thanks

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
STT_GUY said:
Any idea what size that washer is
I carried both halves of the bolt with me when I went to the hardware store and dug through drawers until I found what I needed. Sorry, don't remember the size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts