Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's a photo my neighbor took of big kitty on Tucker gulch trail, just west of the base of NTM yesterday. he apparently hung out there for a while till F&W were brought in, they nailed him w/ some tranquilizers and relocated him to an undisclosed location.

apparently homeowners on the trail were picking up darts out of their yard after kitty was gone. spring time brings out all teh cougars!

Branch Daytime Organism Twig Vertebrate

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
46,453 Posts
Relocation....why?
Apparently he's not allowed in his home range.
My sister and husband and my two 14 year old twin niece and nephew saw a lion on Saturday morning. They were hiking near Pine Tree reservoir west of Loveland and came face to face with one. 30' away the cat stopped and so did they. About twenty seconds of staring the cat turned and ran. Lucky encounter!

·
old skool newbie
857 Posts
After a lifetime of looking I saw my first mountain lion yesterday. It was lying dead on the side of I-70 west of the Morrison exit. There was a state trooper parked behind it. Not the first time experience I thought it would be.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Relocation....why?
Apparently he's not allowed in his home range.
My sister and husband and my two 14 year old twin niece and nephew saw a lion on Saturday morning. They were hiking near Pine Tree reservoir west of Loveland and came face to face with one. 30' away the cat stopped and so did they. About twenty seconds of staring the cat turned and ran. Lucky encounter!
Well, not that long ago they would have just shot it on sight. Relocation isn't great, but it's better than a lot of the other options.

Beautiful animal though. I hope it does well where ever they took it.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Perhaps this is the relocation program?
Maybe, although for the animal the OP is talking about the F&W folks would have taken it to more a more remote area. Cougars have large ranges and are constantly competing with each other for the best areas. The bigger and stronger guys (and girls) kick out the little ones who then go searching for new territory and end up doing very dangerous things like crossing I-70. Sad stuff - and dangerous for humans and their property - but there aren't any easy solutions short of cutting the human population on the FR (or Mountains for that matter) in half or so or severely restricting where they can live and visit, neither of which is going to happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.