Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the mtb thing and picked myself up a 2017 Big Honzo for a steal. I’m a big guy (250lbs) so wanted to get a bike that I wouldn’t kill. I think I found a good one.

Anyways all has been good on the few rides I have done around here (Victoria BC) except for a couple things that I am addressing.

I am putting some new skins on it. Nobby Nic Addix in the rear and a Magic Mary Soft up front. That takes care of the old original hard and half worn rubber.

I put a PNW Bachelor dropper (150mm) and that took care of that problem as it didn’t have a dropper and wasn’t all that comfortable to ride the trails around here.

Lastly I have come to the finding that the original Rockshox Recon Silver 120mm just isn’t up to the task of keeping my fatass weight riding as smooth as I would like it to. It is also losing pressure over time but not quick enough to carry a pump. I thought about a rebuild and then looked into the fork and even rebuilt I don’t think it will do what I need it to.

I have found a good deal on a Fox Factory 34 locally and wanted to hear some opinions on running it. It is a 2016 but serviced regularly at a local shop and has been used by a girl half my weight and mostly on the pavement. It looks new still.

Is this an upgrade I will be happy with? To buy the same thing New is close to $1500 CDN and I would be paying less than a third of that.

Sorry for the long spew but if any of you could toss in some input it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it did. I screwed up but I had it changed a few minutes after I posted it. You must have read it in that small window of time. Lol

Thank you for responding tho! I would still like to hear your opinion on the Fox 34. That is 34. Not 32. 34. Lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a big guys as well, 260ish and have the 2018 Big Honzo. And to be honest, I was pretty impressed with the Recon, being it was such an inexpensive fork. I don't have any issues with it flexing. Give it the proper amount of air, and it seems to work just fine. Now in saying that, I do believe the next upgrade I will do is to bump it up to a pike or Lyric. So I say if you can get a good deal on the fork, go for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s not the flexing I’m concerned with. It’s just that It loses air pressure over time and a rebuild would only possibly get it as good as it once was when it was new. The fork I’m looking at is far superior in every aspect and as I start riding it harder and demanding more performance I think it will fall short. I haven’t even considered the flexing thing. It’s probably fine for now like you said but I plan on riding harder and on more technical trails as my skill develops. I don’t want the fork to hold me back.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The Lyrik is the stiffest fork besides a Mezzer according to Manitou's tests while developing the Mezzer. The data is deep in the Mezzer thread. The Lyrik is a very nice fork with great tire clearance. It would most likely perform awesome on the front end of a Big Honzo. I have Yarik - Yari chassis with all Lyrik internals and it takes care of me. I am probably 220 with a pack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.