Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the stock Sun Singletrack rear wheel build that came on my '05 Big Hit FSR isn't holding up well so far and I've begun to explore alternative rims for an upcoming wheelbuild project.

I need a reliable rim strong enough for DH and wide enough for beefy DH rubber. The chances are high that I'll de-spoke my 26" Rohloff Speedhub to build the new rim with.

What 24" rims have peeps been using?
Are there any special considerations for dish, etc. for the Big Hit?

-Adam

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Adman said:
So the stock Sun Singletrack rear wheel build that came on my '05 Big Hit FSR isn't holding up well so far and I've begun to explore alternative rims for an upcoming wheelbuild project.

I need a reliable rim strong enough for DH and wide enough for beefy DH rubber. The chances are high that I'll de-spoke my 26" Rohloff Speedhub to build the new rim with.

What 24" rims have peeps been using?
Are there any special considerations for dish, etc. for the Big Hit?

-Adam
Doubletracks are beefy and not too expensive

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
Get these you won't ever "F" these up. I ran this when I had my Bighit and all of my bighit friends have them on thier bike.

·
Registered
694 Posts
A Sun Ringle DoubleWide. Its huge and holds of to all my cased jumps/drops etc... Ive only had to true it once--no complaints.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
skate said:
Get these you won't ever "F" these up. I ran this when I had my Bighit and all of my bighit friends have them on thier bike.
Gotta agree with you there, those are massive. I had one on my BH and it never budged. My only issue was they're heavy.

FWIW, I'm still uisng my original SingleTrack that came stock on my 03, also without any issues. Though I did retension mine after the first couple rides. Good luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback-it's unanimous

Looks like I'm going shopping for a doubletrack!

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Adman said:
Thanks for the feedback-it's unanimous. Looks like I'm going shopping for a doubletrack!
Huh, how is that unanimous?? 2 people said DTracks and 2 suggested Arrow DHX rims!! Seems we were tied. Anyhow good luck, both should suit you fine. :thumbsup:

·
Specialized Rida
815 Posts
red5 said:
Huh, how is that unanimous?? 2 people said DTracks and 2 suggested Arrow DHX rims!! Seems we were tied. Anyhow good luck, both should suit you fine. :thumbsup:
Actually it was 1 doublewide, 1 doubletrack, and 2 Arrows.

Well it looks like it's time for Adman to join the Arrow club :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm game.. For some reason I couldn't pull up the Universal catalog w/ that link yesterday (site was sloowww), making it uninimous for Sun at the time:) All good recommendations!

-Adam

skate said:

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
skate said:

Around here anyway, Doubletracks are common and reasonably cheap (Mag30 are $$$). I've never priced out the Arrows but I hear they're strong too.

I've heard lots of people flat-spotting DoubleWides, so why bother with them...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts