Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking @ a 2004 Big Hit for Shuttled DH. Not 100% sure a 24 rear would be to my liking. BETD makes a 26" conversion. Any thoughts on a 26" rear ? Thanx

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
keen said:
BETD makes a 26" conversion. Any thoughts on a 26" rear ? Thanx
Got about $600.00 USD??? That's about what it will cost you for the BETD upgrade. I too looked at doing this, however at that cost I decided it just wasn't worth it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
red5 said:
Got about $600.00 USD??? That's about what it will cost you for the BETD upgrade. I too looked at doing this, however at that cost I decided it just wasn't worth it.
I had the BETD 26" seatstay on my BH.
The 24" wheel isn't that bad, it has pro's and con's.
What most people forget is that a good shock with the correct setup is far more important/noticeable than the size of your rearwheel.

I rode with dual 26" for a year and it holds it's speed better and rolls easier over stuff.
For high speed and rough sections it was super, but in tight technical sections and sharp turns, especially switchbacks it wasn't that great., the bike felt long and slow.
I also had a shorter 5th element (8.5" instead of 8.75") to get the geo I wanted.

I'm back on the 24" now, because I wanted a shorter chainstay, lower BB and a slacker headangle. I also have the shorter eye2eye 5th on there, the BB height is now 13.8"
the headangle is 66* and the short chainstay is super easy to switch lines, manual, wheelie and knife through corners.

The travel on the 26" version with 8.75" shock was 8.9"
The travel on the 24" version with 8.75" shock was 8.1"
The travel on the 24" version with 8.5" shock was 7.3"

The 'version' with the 7.3" travel suits my riding style the most.
The BETD seatstay is a very decent product, but 600$ is a lot of money
you could spend elsewhere...

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
I wouldn't do it because the cost is too high....either ride the 24 and save up for the New big hit or Recoil or Used M-1 or SGS (same FSR suspension) or just do it now

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
I looked at getting a bighit at one point and doing the BETD thing. I've gotten some other bits from them and they're made well. My biggest gripe was that it put the chainstay at 18". That's probably got more to do with the sluggishness than the bigger wheel.

If it were me, I'd get the newer bighit. Adult sized wheels on both ends and a really good build for the price.

·
493 Posts
I second the motion to go for a new BigHit with dual 26" wheels. Specialized should have done that long ago.

The 24" wheeled version actually isn't bad. I rode one for a summer, and I didn't dislike it as much as I thought I would. Most of the time I didn't think about the rear wheel size at all. Tire choices are limited though, and you need a larger chainring than the 22-32 some of the 2004s came with. As you're going for shuttle runs I doubt you'll want a dual ring setup anyways.

I wouldn't spend the money for the BETD upgrade. Put that toward the new frame that was desiged to fit a 26" rear wheel and you'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've been riding a bighit with 24" front and back for about 18 months and I love it. I hated the 26" front and 24" back, it felt like riding a chopper.
24" both is great for cornering, jumps etc. Yeah 26" rolls over stuff better but I just find that you adjust your riding style, I find now I have just developed into hitting little bumps, roots etc and hopping the bike over them, which has actually made me faster..
I prefer 24" but I think that its really just what you get used to....

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I think the price has come down - $360 to my door (think I did the correct currency). I really want an XL VP Free but $1500 is a fair chunk of change for a frame alone. I was thinking of running an 05' 8" 888 to offset the 26" wheel not sure where the BB height would be ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The BB hight on a standard '04 Bighit isnt all that bad, a 888 would increase it for sure though, I think it would be a good choice assuming its the FSR or the Expert with the full travel rather than the Comp. I rode one with the 26'' conversion for quite some time, it really isnt worth the money IMO. I think kidwoo has it right when he says that the increased chain stay length has more negative effect than the stock 24'' rear wheel does.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ive been riding with a 24 in the back and a 26 in the front for about a year and i like the feel of it. However i do basically all freeride, and downhill about 5 times a season. I like thelower center of gravity, the shorter wheelbase, and the strength, however like everyone else said it doesnt roll as smoothly over stuff, and if ur ur doing almost all downhill, then its prob not the best option. I do like the agile feel, and the way it corners, however in ur case i the best option is prob save for a new frame.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bighit816 said:
ive been riding with a 24 in the back and a 26 in the front for about a year and i like the feel of it. However i do basically all freeride, and downhill about 5 times a season. I like thelower center of gravity, the shorter wheelbase, and the strength, however like everyone else said it doesnt roll as smoothly over stuff, and if ur ur doing almost all downhill, then its prob not the best option. I do like the agile feel, and the way it corners, however in ur case i the best option is prob save for a new frame.
I worry the 24 wont work well for rocky DH - I ride mostly Northstar @ Tahoe. I really like a low raked out bike. The XL VP Free w/ an 888 would have a 15" BB height and a 65* headangle - little much. I really like a 14ish BB and a 67* head angle though.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
keen said:
Well I think the price has come down - $360 to my door (think I did the correct currency). I really want an XL VP Free but $1500 is a fair chunk of change for a frame alone. I was thinking of running an 05' 8" 888 to offset the 26" wheel not sure where the BB height would be ?
It does look as if they have reduced the price a bit, very cool. However, the bigger issue with their pricing really has more too due with fluctuations in the exchange rate. So depending on the options (bearings installed, A.R.T. 12mm) you ask for, it could be closer to $450 but I'd say your right the exchange rate seems good right now.

A word of advice
**Be careful of one thing if any of you ever planning to order stays (or anything for that matter) from BETD. When I first inquired about ordering mine the exchange rate was low, like it is now. However, I was told they didn't have any and had to mfg more so I would have to wait. Well the wait took about a 1 1/2 months and by that time the exchange rate had gone way up. So if you plan on getting one I suggest you see if you can pay up front so you get the best rate and not get jacked with a higher one.**

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.