Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Master_Jako said:
when FSR is compressed, the axel-BB does not change...the axle path of the wheel remains the same distance with little change(1-3mm) thus not comprimising the suspension action even when pedaling....
It's going to a little bit no matter what with the FSR, but its little enough to where you cant really noticed it compared to other suspension designs where you can easily notice it.IMO

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Padre said:
I'm not a fan of the interrupted seat tube on the big hit and it's ilk.
It's dangerous and limits the amount of seatpost you can run.
I like being able to drop it low or climb with it higher.
Also, the 24" wheel is pretty gimmicky to me. Sure, it's stronger, but the laws of physics demand that it rolls more slowly...not to mention crappier through the rough stuff.
I've seen StinkyOne's Stinky get put through hell and back without a wimper.
Another note, Shuntavi has a Stinky in the family that has seen hell from Mike and the other two boys...just hammered..but not dead...solid bikes....
Both bikes are good..I think the stinky pulls ahead with the regular seat tube and the 26" wheel...
seat tube???---lol--i never had any problems with it in climbing or it hitting the shock...you need to put it very close to the shock for it to hit. the shock moves only like 6mm throught the travel, so you got plenty of room for a seat post.....-- as for the 24 inch wheel...i ride both 24 and 26...i only feel a differance in cornering and acceleration...i feel i can throw the 24 deeper into corners and it also feels a bit more---need a good word, a bit more lively when going down hill. as for streanth, its slightly stronger, not that much... there is no differance bettween a 26 and a 24 on rough stuff though....

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Master_Jako said:
thats what im saying...it changes like 1-3mm which is unnoticable no matter what.
It's atleast un-noticable to people who aren't patent holders of the DW link and or any other sort of mechanical engineering degree. haha.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
red5 said:
? for you Konabiker. Was the Big Hit setup too your liking? In other words was the spring rates front and rear set for you? And was the all the componentry setup for you, did it have the bar/stem combo of your liking? What about seat, tires, brakes? Basically was it setup the way you would've set it up? This is not a personal attack on you, but I'd say my Big Hit is better than allot of stock bikes because I built it for me.

Since it's a rental, I'd doubt it. So that makes you partial to your Stinky and your opinion sort of biased. Having ridden a stock stinky and big hit, I'd say the advantage goes to the Big Hit. It manuals better, climbs better (24 wheel definitely an advantage here) and the suspension rides better. Also as mentioned before Specialized's warranty is killer.
hey its cool. no the bighit was not setup to my liking, it was just a stock bighit comp. ive come to the conclusion that the feedback i was feeling was the spring rate being to high, and the shock being set up horrible. overall i did like the bike a lot, but still prefer my stock stinky. like ive said before, personal preferance. your a bighit person im a stinky person(not litterally)

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
Padre said:
Also, the 24" wheel is pretty gimmicky to me. Sure, it's stronger, but the laws of physics demand that it rolls more slowly...not to mention crappier through the rough stuff.
Another note, Shuntavi has a Stinky in the family that has seen hell from Mike and the other two boys...just hammered..but not dead...solid bikes....
Both bikes are good..I think the stinky pulls ahead with the regular seat tube and the 26" wheel...
I rode a Big Hit when they first came out (they were blue and had clipless pedals *scoff*), and remember Specialized even admitting that the primary motivation to put the 24" wheel on the back was to allow more travel. It has other benefits, but some of that is just marketing (ie they just tried to justify it). You will notice that the Demo 8 & 9 have 26" rear wheels.

Again, I actually like the Big Hit a little more due to the FSR rear end and the layout. What I didn't like was the weight, which is why I bought an 04 X3. In retrospect, I might have gone for the Big Hit instead because it offers more travel. I do find it funny that Kona and others brag about 4-bars when they are really glorified single pivots... food for thought.

That said I ride a single pivot with pro pedal and it works fine.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Ok, First off, go BigHit. Stop being mentally retartded and head down to your local Specialized dealer and order one. FSR rules is you like your rear suspension to work under braking. Also, the Bighit is gunna be a better DH bike will a Stinky is more of a FR Huck It Bender Yeswayjay style bike. But you'd ve smoking crack to not go with a Bighit Comp...i have one and i'll snap a pic and post it tomorrow night.

-TS

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Padre said:
Problem solved

Padre said:
Well there you have it, StinkyOne's Kona survives his beatings so the Stinky is better. Specialized must s*ck just ask Matt Hunter.

padre said:
If you ask me the Big Hit pulls ahead wth better geometry and warranty. Any more points on which bike is more versatile you'd like me to poop on. :D

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
It's atleast un-noticable to people who aren't patent holders of the DW link and or any other sort of mechanical engineering degree. haha.
Yeah, like you!! :D What's your point?

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
red5 said:
Specialized must s*ck just ask Matt Hunter.
i dont think thats a fair argument at all red5. ask any of the kona pros that have been rocking stinkys way longer than people have been riding bighits.

also that seatpost is just more money you have to spend.

like ive said many times before, personal preferance
buy a bighit for more and have a factory ride
or buy a stinky for less, and customize it for about the same price as the BH, thats what i did and it worked out pimp for me.

note: maani spellzin und grmammer mistaks waz mad in dis. i typed it really fast

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
people, stop confusing this poor person. just go out and test ride both of them, and make a choice for yourself, don't let us tell you what to do

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,218 Posts
Ride them both.

Buy the one that fits you best and your instinct telss you is THE ONE.

Don't listen to all of these momos argue over dumb bikes on the internet.

(STINKY)

·
Registered
155 Posts
umm, yeah i guess this counts as spam, but I have an 04 Stinky (18 in) that im trying to sell. Its stock except for MRP with 38 t Race Face DH ring, sram 11-34 cassette and sram chain. All of that stuff is only about a month old. ODI lock on grips, and Kenda Kinetics 2.6 tires (75% wear left). New seals and oil in fork about 3 months ago. Excellent shape! PM me with an offer!

·
T.Dot Represent
1,290 Posts
dotn rule out norcos, the VPS Atomik 04 is a great specced bike and allt eh others are aswell, also they are all true FSR just like th bighit so u wont have to worry about teh break jak

i dont like the stinky cuz kona seem to always cut bak on it every year. last year it was wiht teh crappy Vanilla shock thats right no rebound adjustability and this year its the crappy dropoff forks. why dont they simply get it right the first time nstead of haveing the primo etc...

a stinky with a jrt or z150 or slider would be sick though!!!! not to kona listen to finch!!!!

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
finchy said:
dotn rule out norcos, the VPS Atomik 04 is a great specced bike and allt eh others are aswell, also they are all true FSR just like th bighit so u wont have to worry about teh break jak

i dont like the stinky cuz kona seem to always cut bak on it every year. last year it was wiht teh crappy Vanilla shock thats right no rebound adjustability and this year its the crappy dropoff forks. why dont they simply get it right the first time nstead of haveing the primo etc...

a stinky with a jrt or z150 or slider would be sick though!!!! not to kona listen to finch!!!!
im starting to think your retarded.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
konabiker said:
i dont think thats a fair argument at all red5. ask any of the kona pros that have been rocking stinkys way longer than people have been riding bighits.
Moot point, Stinky's have been around longer.

konabiker said:
also that seatpost is just more money you have to spend.
Actually you don't have too, it's just a fix for Padre's lame excuse. I didn't need on to climb my Big Hit.

konabiker said:
like ive said many times before, personal preferance
buy a bighit for more and have a factory ride
or buy a stinky for less, and customize it for about the same price as the BH, thats what i did and it worked out pimp for me.
How much did you pay for your Stinky? I bought my Big Hit Ex brand new in 03 for $1700.00. The only real upgrade it needed was the fork, which is usual on mid level priced bikes.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
red5 said:
Moot point, Stinky's have been around longer.

Actually you don't have too, it's just a fix for Padre's lame excuse. I didn't need on to climb my Big Hit.

How much did you pay for your Stinky? I bought my Big Hit Ex brand new in 03 for $1700.00. The only real upgrade it needed was the fork, which is usual on mid level priced bikes.
damn you got like a grand off your bike. thats sweet! i payed 1550 in november, pretty good, considering the season hadnt even started then. i got a deal though.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
konabiker said:
damn you got like a grand off your bike. thats sweet! i payed 1550 in november, pretty good, considering the season hadnt even started then. i got a deal though.
oh and total came to 1600 once i got my slider on/new front wheel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
ok that helps sorta..except i got waaayy confused wit all that crap bout the parts and junk all i wanted to know was which one was better for freeriding. some people have been saying that the big hit is more downhill then the stinky so its better but i dont really care about downhill. all of my riding invloves a hell of alot of uphill to get to the best trails. and then the trails r pretty technical with sharp turns at higher speeds. also alot of balance is needed for most of them. now that i have specified my needs in a bike which one would be better? or are there other possibilites to consider?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, really, it's personal preference. They both have a different feel to them when you ride them. One friend has a Stinky and one friend has a BH. For me the Stinky is easier to ride but I'm not as comfortable dropping big on it. The BH has a burlier feel to the ride but more comfortable on the big drops. But that's just me.

Visit your LBSs and test ride them if you can.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts