Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
CanadianHooligan said:
Whats Konas warranty?
someone told me it was 6 years on the stinkys. i dunno about taht though.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
COmtbiker12 said:
What the hell?!?!?!

I personally feel more confident on a bighit then a Stinky. I've owned both a 2001 Kona Stinky (18), and a 02 Bighit Comp. I personally felt that the bighit was a lot beefier and was a lot stiffer especially since I'm a clyde at about 200#. My Stinky was built up with trail/fr parts and my bighit evolved into a beastly dh/hucking bike. It really is all about personal preference, I thought that the bighit was a lot plusher and just overall felt a lot better to me along with being more progressive even when they each only had VanillaRs on them (for a while). Try them out if you can, it really is just about which one you like better as opposed to which one really is better cuz that can be debated about for days without a true answer.
well you cant really compare a 2001 stinky 5 trail bike to a 2002 bighit freeride bike....untill 2003 stinkys have been like overweight trail bikes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The KONA rep. from my LBS was way cool and very in tune with other riders. Warranty, we don't need no stinking warranty. The good thing is I' v never had to use one and it's not because lack of abuse either. And I'v had 3 Kona's.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
CanadianHooligan said:
6 years? Not bad...Do you think you'll ge a new bike by then anyways?Caus then it wont even matter.
yeah im actually planning on buying a new frame next summer. i wanna wait to see what 05 has to offer, but on my list so far are:

demo 8
soul cycles full suspension
stab supreme
stinky supreme
cortina dh extreme 8
cortina triton dh
the list goes on....

i like the stinky, but im just a whore and like to try new stuff

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
bighit comp right now would sell for like $1700 at an end of season sale....

stinky would sell for mabey $1400

bighit has better components for the money and is much more agressive bike.
stinky is a good freeride bike.........
both bikes are tough.
ill say it once again, Specialized FSR already makes the bighit Worth getting over the kona...for the kona's rear suspension to remain active during braking, youll have to buy a floating caliper...the FSR will remain active without any add ons and will pedal twice as good as the kona.....component wise, the specialized offers stronger stuff for the money then the kona--hollzfeller cranks, 20mm thru axle, dj2 over the dropoff, and the 3way manitou shock over the vannila R.----my thoughts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Master_Jako said:
bighit comp right now would sell for like $1700 at an end of season sale....

stinky would sell for mabey $1400

bighit has better components for the money and is much more agressive bike.
stinky is a good freeride bike.........
both bikes are tough.
ill say it once again, Specialized FSR already makes the bighit Worth getting over the kona...for the kona's rear suspension to remain active during braking, youll have to buy a floating caliper...the FSR will remain active without any add ons and will pedal twice as good as the kona.....my thoughts
I'll give you the brake part, but let me tell you my STINKY PRIMO is a great peddling bike. Never had any brake jack problems either.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
ADDICT said:
I'll give you the brake part, but let me tell you my STINKY PRIMO is a great peddling bike. Never had any brake jack problems either.
but u do get pedal feedback when you suspension activates or whil you pedaling through rough stuff.....thats the biggest thing i didnt like about the konas when i rode my friends...

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
konabiker said:
well you cant really compare a 2001 stinky 5 trail bike to a 2002 bighit freeride bike....untill 2003 stinkys have been like overweight trail bikes.
? for you Konabiker. Was the Big Hit setup too your liking? In other words was the spring rates front and rear set for you? And was the all the componentry setup for you, did it have the bar/stem combo of your liking? What about seat, tires, brakes? Basically was it setup the way you would've set it up? This is not a personal attack on you, but I'd say my Big Hit is better than allot of stock bikes because I built it for me.

Since it's a rental, I'd doubt it. So that makes you partial to your Stinky and your opinion sort of biased. Having ridden a stock stinky and big hit, I'd say the advantage goes to the Big Hit. It manuals better, climbs better (24 wheel definitely an advantage here) and the suspension rides better. Also as mentioned before Specialized's warranty is killer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Master_Jako said:
but u do get pedal feedback when you suspension activates or whil you pedaling through rough stuff.....thats the biggest thing i didnt like about the konas when i rode my friends...
I ride really rocky loose trails and don't really notice any feedback. It could be that I'm used to it though since I;v ridden only Kona's.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
Master_Jako said:
i am opposite to you. one of the main things i didnt like about the bighit was the feedback i got while pedaling around. it was driving me nuts, it was almost as bad as the bullit i rented.
heres how this situation is solved:
get out and ride both
which ever on you like more, get that

thats what it came down to with me, and i chose the stinky

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've riden both alot and I really dont like stinkys. The rear linkage in the bighits is wicked, it pedals really well. You will have to upgrade for fork when you buy it though. Thats what I did. The Dropoff triple that comes on the stinky is pretty [email protected] anyway.

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
Basically, these are both great bikes, and they are also both very common, so you can go out and test-ride both realy easily...so just decide for yourself.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
konabiker said:
one of the main things i didnt like about the bighit was the feedback i got while pedaling around.
WHAT!!! :eek: Pedal feedback on an FSR? :rolleyes: NOT!!! Doesn't happen. You can talk smack on the 24, whatever, but there's no pedal feedback. Can't happen. Single pivots ( bullits, your kona), VPP sure, but not an FSR.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
konabiker said:
i am opposite to you. one of the main things i didnt like about the bighit was the feedback i got while pedaling around. it was driving me nuts, it was almost as bad as the bullit i rented.
heres how this situation is solved:
get out and ride both
which ever on you like more, get that

thats what it came down to with me, and i chose the stinky
a big reason FSR rules all other suspension designs is that there is no pedal feed back....your probably just used to feeling the pedal kick up everytime your rear suspension takes a hit on your kona........

·
Shortcutting Hikabiker
3,218 Posts
red5 said:
WHAT!!! :eek: Pedal feedback on an FSR? :rolleyes: NOT!!! Doesn't happen. You can talk smack on the 24, whatever, but there's no pedal feedback. Can't happen. Single pivots ( bullits, your kona), VPP sure, but not an FSR.
Uhhhh....

When the axel-bb distance is changing it's going to cause at least a little feedback no matter what.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
I'm not a fan of the interrupted seat tube on the big hit and it's ilk.
It's dangerous and limits the amount of seatpost you can run.
I like being able to drop it low or climb with it higher.
Also, the 24" wheel is pretty gimmicky to me. Sure, it's stronger, but the laws of physics demand that it rolls more slowly...not to mention crappier through the rough stuff.
I've seen StinkyOne's Stinky get put through hell and back without a wimper.
Another note, Shuntavi has a Stinky in the family that has seen hell from Mike and the other two boys...just hammered..but not dead...solid bikes....
Both bikes are good..I think the stinky pulls ahead with the regular seat tube and the 26" wheel...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Acme54321 said:
Uhhhh....

When the axel-bb distance is changing it's going to cause at least a little feedback no matter what.
when FSR is compressed, the axel-BB does not change...the axle path of the wheel remains the same distance with little change(1-3mm) thus not comprimising the suspension action even when pedaling....

21 - 40 of 60 Posts