Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is the better freeride bike..the stinky or the big hit comp and why?

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
rockymountainbiker69 said:
which is the better freeride bike..the stinky or the big hit comp and why?
search funtion can be quite helpful :rolleyes: . i was in the same situation, and i went with the stinky. i rode a bighit this weekend at mammoth and im still happy with my decision.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
CanadianHooligan said:
So you liked the Stinky better KonaBiker? I havent rode eithr of them but i thought the Bighit looked real nice...
yep. i own a stinky, and rented the bighit for a weekend. its just personal preferance, but i like the stinky a lot more.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Sweet,I thought the Stinky looked nice too..but the bighit looked really nice.It doesnt really matter though since i havent rode either of em and im just judging by looks and components etc.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
CanadianHooligan said:
Sweet,I thought the Stinky looked nice too..but the bighit looked really nice.It doesnt really matter though since i havent rode either of em and im just judging by looks and components etc.
yeah. component wise the bighit is a little better, but its also more expensive. before i got my super t the total i had spent on my stinky was right around 1900 after selling all the stuff i replaced. still cheaper than teh bighit, with some pimp stuff. and like i said it comes down to personal preferance pretty much. i liked the feel of the stinky a lot more, and i didnt like the 24 inch rear wheel. and something else i considered in my choice was the dealer. my local kona dealer is really cool and is more dh/fr oriented, but the specialized shop is really lame and the beefiest bike they stoke is an enduro.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Different strokes for different folks..... They are both good bikes for a few different reasons.... it's not as black and white as that... and what kona stinky vs what bighit model you talking about I'd take a stinky primo over the base model bighit anyday...point being it comes down to the parts that make up the bike... the support of the dealers/ lbs and what you plan to ride. simply, I go with the Kona over the specialized.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thats cool that you've got an awesoem Konda dealer,and i didnt know that you've upgraded some stuff on your stinky.How much is the Bighit stock?In your case I wouldve probably bought the Stinky too.This might sound stupid but what colour is your stinky,black/orange?

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
CanadianHooligan said:
Thats cool that you've got an awesoem Konda dealer,and i didnt know that you've upgraded some stuff on your stinky.How much is the Bighit stock?In your case I wouldve probably bought the Stinky too.This might sound stupid but what colour is your stinky,black/orange?
bighit comps retail for 1950 us dollars.
heres some pics of my stinky.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have had 2 Stinky Primo's, one 2001 and now I have a 2003 Stinky Primo. Both were bought as a frame only and then built up. If you compare frames the Stinky is much beffier then the Big Hit. I don't think I would feel as confident on the Big Hit. Both are good bikes but I think the Stinky makes a better hardcore freeride bike. Just my 2 cents. :cool:

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
Pedaling up stuff much?

I've ridden a few Stinky's and the new Big Hits, are you just looking for a bike at the 1800-2000 price point? There are other options if you spend a little bit more (Huffy, MGX, Mongoose, Schwinn).

The Big Hit definitly pedals better than the Stinky as it has the FSR (Horst Link) rear end. I would have to say that the Big Hit is actually beefier. The thing weighs 46 lbs in Medium. Not that weight means strength.

If you get the Big Hit comp, get your LBS to let you upgrade the fork. The DJ2 sucks for trails (I have a DJ now...). I like the ride of the BigHit more, but I haven't really wrung out either one (as I don't have one) nor am I an expert.

·
I wanna talk to Samson!
3,303 Posts
CanadianHooligan said:
So ADDICT Kona has good quality?Have you dealt with their customer service?KonaBiker another question,how tall are you?
im 5'11 and i ride an 18. feels sweet, though some would say i need a smaller frame.

·
a'buh?
635 Posts
I've ridden both, and then anded up going with the kona coiler, 'cuz I ride trails sometimes, too, and couldn't afford two bikes.

Personal preference, ilike the stinky more. The frame is super beefy, and it feels really solid. The Big hit is super plush, to the point of being annoying, of course, that's just how it came set-up, you can always change that. Whereas the stinky is plush, but not in the same way. It's travel is there when you need it, and almost gone when you don't. Though once again, you can set this up differently.

Both are great bikes, and the 24" wheel is really great for manualling and wheelying, but it takes some getting used to.

Bottom line, ride bothm, and see which one you like more. Also, don't rule out other bikes, such as the Iron Horse SGS Expert and others

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
?

ADDICT said:
I have had 2 Stinky Primo's, one 2001 and now I have a 2003 Stinky Primo. Both were bought as a frame only and then built up. If you compare frames the Stinky is much beffier then the Big Hit. I don't think I would feel as confident on the Big Hit. Both are good bikes but I think the Stinky makes a better hardcore freeride bike. Just my 2 cents. :cool:
Oh really? Why so?

Specialized has a lifetime warranty on their frames.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
ezweave said:
I've ridden a few Stinky's and the new Big Hits, are you just looking for a bike at the 1800-2000 price point? There are other options if you spend a little bit more (Huffy, MGX, Mongoose, Schwinn).
What the hell?!?!?!

I personally feel more confident on a bighit then a Stinky. I've owned both a 2001 Kona Stinky (18), and a 02 Bighit Comp. I personally felt that the bighit was a lot beefier and was a lot stiffer especially since I'm a clyde at about 200#. My Stinky was built up with trail/fr parts and my bighit evolved into a beastly dh/hucking bike. It really is all about personal preference, I thought that the bighit was a lot plusher and just overall felt a lot better to me along with being more progressive even when they each only had VanillaRs on them (for a while). Try them out if you can, it really is just about which one you like better as opposed to which one really is better cuz that can be debated about for days without a true answer.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts