Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Big Hit swinger 4 way setup advise

825 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  nobody242424 
#1 ·
I just got a used 04 big hit expert. I'm new to full suspension and wondered if anyone could give me advice on rear shock setup. It feels much too soft right now with the 400 lb spring. I weigh 185, should I get a stiffer spring or will just adding air pressure suffice? I just don't want to ruin it on the first ride. I ride my bikes pretty hard so would i be better off with a stiffer spring? - I don't care too much about the small bump absorption. What do you all use on your big hits?
Thanks a lot guys.
josh

#4 ·
Dude, think about it . . .

you will NOT know if you have the right spring until you set your sag! We can NOT determine your sag settings over the internet . . .

Is any of this getting through to you?

Have someone help you set up your sag, if it's too much . . . you need a different spring! it's that simple.

If someone responds and says, " get a 550 lb spring, 'cause you way like 185" are you going to just blindly go out and get a 550 lb spring?

#5 ·
DJBiker said:
you will NOT know if you have the right spring until you set your sag! We can NOT determine your sag settings over the internet . . .

Is any of this getting through to you?

Have someone help you set up your sag, if it's too much . . . you need a different spring! it's that simple.

If someone responds and says, " get a 550 lb spring, 'cause you way like 185" are you going to just blindly go out and get a 550 lb spring?
settle down ther no reason to get mad he dosent know. but ya ur gonna have to set the sag and ride the bike to really know if the spring needs to be changed. once you do that it should be clear whether or not you need a new one.

#6 ·
dude what is your problem

the guy is asking a question and you throw this s@*t at him. obviously he doesn't know what spring he need and he was looking for some direction. now to answer his question yeah it sounds like you will need a heavier spring because the air pressure doesn't help with sag, that is the job of the spring. and if your wondering DJbiker yes i do have a swinger on my session 77 so i know what i am talking about, ya dolt!

#8 ·
Most likely will need a strong spring but...

afireinside said:
I just got a used 04 big hit expert. I'm new to full suspension and wondered if anyone could give me advice on rear shock setup. It feels much too soft right now with the 400 lb spring. I weigh 185, should I get a stiffer spring or will just adding air pressure suffice? I just don't want to ruin it on the first ride. I ride my bikes pretty hard so would i be better off with a stiffer spring? - I don't care too much about the small bump absorption. What do you all use on your big hits?
Thanks a lot guys.
josh
...go ahead and ride it at it's highest setting and see how it feels. Also depends on your preference and riding style. You stated small bump absorption is not a concern so you don't want it too plush but strong for bigger hits. My friend is 195 lbs and he needed to upgrade to a stronger 550 lb spring because he hits drops pretty hard. If you are smooth and don't do big drops, your 400 lb spring and higher pressure should be fine...but I think we both know what you'll decide.

#9 ·
Oh, please forgive me . . .

The guy asked "what spring do I need?"

I answered, "you must set your sag to determine the answer"

He replyed, "yea but, can't you just tell me what spring I need?"

I said, "again, you must set the sag!?"

Here is the deal, without the proper sag setting determined, you can ONLY TAKE A WILD GUESS AT WHAT SPRING. You could be right, you could be wrong, in any case you will not be taking FULL advantage of the technology by ignoring the PROPER setup procedures.

It's that simple.

(in my most calm voice) Sir, you must set the sag to determine if your spring rate is proper for your weight and riding style, once that determination has been made you can "fine tune" spring rates, SPV chamber settings, preload, rebound, pedal platform stiffness, air pressure from there.

The best way to complete these tasks is to find a copy of the manual for your bike/rear shock (I looked on the Specialized site, but because they have changed it all, I can't find it, sorry) and follow the instructions outlined in the manual.

I hope this helps you to find you "best settings"(end most calm voice)

(in most rude, pissed off voice) For everone else: You know I'm right, I know I'm right, and now the original poster knows I'm right. So stop kidding yourself, stop your crying and go set your shocks up RIGHT! (end most rude, pissed off voice)

Now what's your problem?

#10 ·
You Are My Problem

if you would have answered him like you did in your last post you idiot then no one would have gotten on your case! go put all of your gear on and do some drops off of a curb or something small like that. if you took the trouble to type out the proper answer why the hell didn't you just do that in the first place? you probably think my session looks just like a Kona.

#11 ·
Yea, curb hucks RULE!

kyle said:
if you would have answered him like you did in your last post you idiot then no one would have gotten on your case! go put all of your gear on and do some drops off of a curb or something small like that. if you took the trouble to type out the proper answer why the hell didn't you just do that in the first place? you probably think my session looks just like a Kona.
Wait, let me think for a minute, I care about what YOU think of me because . . . . well because I DON'T care what you think about ANYTHING . . .

suck on that one for while bro

Just trying to help the boy out, seems he wants to know if his spring is the "correct" rate for his weight and riding style? Simple answer: set the sag to find out.

YOU know that is the way to do it, so pipe down session-boy (funny thing, nobody mentioned anything on this thread, but Bighit Expert, you are the only one that is sooo proud of YOUR bike that you bring it up twice! "look at me, I gots a Session" "hey everybody look at me" )

Why don't you stay on topic, What spring do you think the guy needs?

#13 ·
Yea, dude . . .

kyle said:
and apparently you do care because you keep responding to me picking on you. go wax your bike, i'am goin riding. peace
thats the way to stand up and make a positive contribution to answering the guys questions! You are such a "helpful" kinda guy, I mean it sure is good you are around to help others out, maybe you can fix their brakes too . . .

Heres a thought, why don't you STFU and go ride, no peace for you "session-boy"

#14 ·
(in most rude, pissed off voice) For everone else: You know I'm right, I know I'm right, and now the original poster knows I'm right. So stop kidding yourself, stop your crying and go set your shocks up RIGHT! (end most rude, pissed off voice)

Now what's your problem?[/QUOTE]
not saying ur wrong, cause ur not, ur right on what to do but you dont gotta be a jerk about it, thats all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.