Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Maybe I am an idiot, but what is OTD?

RiDE said:
Specialized Big Hit DH 2003

Found it for $2600 OTD still brand new. Good buy?

Thanks guys. :)
No doubt, brand new for $2600 is a great deal if
a) You are going DOWN and not up
b) the size you found for that price fits you.

Otherwise sweet ride, here's mine and I love it. All that 2003 needs is a set of Monster T's...

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep its my size. :)

I'm more of an XC rider and a roadie. :eek: I was a DH virgin, but after my first run where my HT took a beating, I think I know what I want to do from now on. :D I'm gonna end up selling both bikes.

Just wondering if theres anything better around that price range. Thanks again. :)

Oh and I just saw your thread about your big hit... nice bike... i dont think I can spring for that fork right after I plunk down $2k. :p

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
I would keep the XC

If you can...sometimes DH can be too restrictive as far as shuttling is concerned...for those times when no one else can go out and play, it's nice to have a back up bike that you can go pound on....but sell the road bike immediately....

·
Registered
24 Posts
RiDE said:
Specialized Big Hit DH 2003

Found it for $2600 OTD still brand new. Good buy?

Thanks guys. :)
I think you really need to compare it to a bike that retails for $2600 and see what you get or dont get. Such as this years Big Hit Expert.

The only advantages with the Expert model, is you get the 4-way swinger in the rear, which IMO is such a better rear end than the 03 Vanilla RC. I have rode both, and the swinger is alot more plush, with a bottomless travel feel. Also, I guess you get an 8inch rotor in the rear also with the 04 Expert model.

The 03 DH, has quite a few better components....starting with the Boxer Team which is their middle of the road fork. A better choice than the JnrT.
DoubleTrack rims are alot stronger than the SingleTracks on the Expert
HayesMag's are beefier than the HFX-9's, and you get probably the best color Specialized has but on their bike...the Ano Black.

So I think for $2600, its a great purchase.

PS - I have the 04 Expert Model, with a 888r on the front and love it...however i drool, everytime I see the AnoBlack 03 DH. Its just a sweet looking bike.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
riggse said:

Otherwise sweet ride, here's mine and I love it. All that 2003 needs is a set of Monster T's...
WORD, BigHit's w/ Monsters F*ckin Rulel!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my 03 BigHit DH for $3550 AUS. I don't think I could ever get a better deal on a DH bike.
It retailed at about $6000 when first released.

The only thing you will need to change are the pedals, and put an 8 inch rotor on the back if you desire.

Doing the conversion to US dollars its about $2500. ( not sure what OTD means )

Its a very good deal

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tag on it had $4100 or something as original price last year... then it was on sale for $3800... then on sale again for $2600 no tax. :)

I didn't know some people actually got theirs cheaper. :eek:

They had a Demo9 DH for $3500 but it was the store demo that people have been renting out. :( Not that I could afford it anyway. ;)

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Don't know what you are waiting for....

RiDE said:
The tag on it had $4100 or something as original price last year... then it was on sale for $3800... then on sale again for $2600 no tax. :)

I didn't know some people actually got theirs cheaper. :eek:

They had a Demo9 DH for $3500 but it was the store demo that people have been renting out. :( Not that I could afford it anyway. ;)
If you've got the $$, go buy it! Smokin' deal!

·
Registered
24 Posts
riggse said:

Hey Riggse, is that an 04 Expert? Looks sweet with the Monster. Here is mine with a 888r.

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Yes, it's an 2004 Expert...

netguy said:

Hey Riggse, is that an 04 Expert? Looks sweet with the Monster. Here is mine with a 888r.
I just took off the stickers on the main frame....yours looks nice with the 888's, ride height would have been a little tall for me so I went MrT!

By the way, don't you hit your shock with the seatpost that long? Mine was cut to half of that length and I was still hitting the coil...might want to cut a few inches off, I don't know just my opinion...

·
Registered
24 Posts
riggse said:
I just took off the stickers on the main frame....yours looks nice with the 888's, ride height would have been a little tall for me so I went MrT!

By the way, don't you hit your shock with the seatpost that long? Mine was cut to half of that length and I was still hitting the coil...might want to cut a few inches off, I don't know just my opinion...
In reference to the tall height, it is tall, however it was just something I got used to in a couple of runs down Whistler. The steering is a little slower, however I dont race, so its no big deal to me. Drops and jumps are all its about for me.
Yes...excellent idea to chop off some of that seat post. Just use a hacksaw? If I cut off the bottom 2 inches thats sticking out, will that take away from the strenght of it?

PS - When my SPV valve was the other way around, I put the seat post through it, when I was riding. It hit the schraeder valve, let all the air out (not to my knowing) and I rode it without air in the SPV for a full day down at Whistler. The next day, first run down the hill, and it blew up on me. Sent it to Manitou, and they replaced, rather than fixed, as they said it was just easier to do. However it still cost me $200. My own fault though. Kudos to Manitou though...I was without my shock for 5 days...very fast turnaround.

G

·
Damm you guys and your monster T's........ I WANT ONE!!!......... but i have a hardtail....
I dont think that would work out too well

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Yes, you can cut off at least a couple inches...

netguy said:
In reference to the tall height, it is tall, however it was just something I got used to in a couple of runs down Whistler. The steering is a little slower, however I dont race, so its no big deal to me. Drops and jumps are all its about for me.
Yes...excellent idea to chop off some of that seat post. Just use a hacksaw? If I cut off the bottom 2 inches thats sticking out, will that take away from the strenght of it?

PS - When my SPV valve was the other way around, I put the seat post through it, when I was riding. It hit the schraeder valve, let all the air out (not to my knowing) and I rode it without air in the SPV for a full day down at Whistler. The next day, first run down the hill, and it blew up on me. Sent it to Manitou, and they replaced, rather than fixed, as they said it was just easier to do. However it still cost me $200. My own fault though. Kudos to Manitou though...I was without my shock for 5 days...very fast turnaround.
Mine is only about 6-7 inches long total now that I cut it. hacksaw is ok but crude, I used a pipe cutter and it makes a nice clean cut. Then de-burr with a file.

I too have hit my valve hard enough to bend the setapost, but got lucky it did not blow up on me. But I too will be getting a new shock, check out the post I just did praising Manitou for what happened to me today....

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.