Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks, I'm in the market for a Specialized Big Hit frame, preferably a 2003, but I don't have one yet.

I was wondering if a MRP system 1 World Cup or system 1 Slalom guide would fit. These are 2 spare chainguides I have lying around, but they are for the elevated chainstays, not regular chainstays. The World Cup is probably a no-go, but I was hoping my Slalom guide might fit since it is smaller in diameter. I don't want to space the guide way out to clear and have some horrible chainline, so I might have to go ahead and buy the correct system 2 guide.

Anyone running a system 1 Slalom guide on their big hit? Or the mini-me guide?

Just trying to get some parts organized for when I find the frame I want. I'll be running a 36 tooth ring, but could always drop down to a 34 tooth and get the mini-me guide.

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
System 2

FISHLEG said:
Ok folks, I'm in the market for a Specialized Big Hit frame, preferably a 2003, but I don't have one yet.

I was wondering if a MRP system 1 World Cup or system 1 Slalom guide would fit. These are 2 spare chainguides I have lying around, but they are for the elevated chainstays, not regular chainstays. The World Cup is probably a no-go, but I was hoping my Slalom guide might fit since it is smaller in diameter. I don't want to space the guide way out to clear and have some horrible chainline, so I might have to go ahead and buy the correct system 2 guide.

Anyone running a system 1 Slalom guide on their big hit? Or the mini-me guide?

Just trying to get some parts organized for when I find the frame I want. I'll be running a 36 tooth ring, but could always drop down to a 34 tooth and get the mini-me guide.
I am running 36T Slalom System 2...I don't think the System 1 would fit....

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
The Sys1 Slalom will just barely fit, according to the guys at Spec, however I've never tried it so..??
The Sys2 Slalom or World Cup would be perfect. I currently run a Blackspire DS1, similiar to a Sys2 Slalom except cheaper, on my Big Hit and it works fantastic. Had the Evil guide, but kept breaking the roller and didn't much care for buying parts trees from them every 6-8 months.
I personally wouldn't recommend trying to run a Sys1. Since it's not designed for running on standard chainstay bikes, you may have more problems than it's worth. Good luck.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I figured. I was just curious. I remember I had a Kona Stab (regular chainstay)that the system 1 Slalom guide actually came off. No biggy.

I need a medium or large Big Hit, so no go on the small.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.