Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the rear tire clearance for the 07' Specialized Big Hit frame? Will they fit Michelin Comp 32 2.8"

Shredder111:cool:

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
It depends on how acurate the 2.8 is and also which rim you intend to use it with. I sometimes (rarely) run a 2.6 Nokian Gazzaloddi which fits no problem, as does the Continental Petrol 2.5 that I use. My rear wheel is built with a Mavic D321 rim. I reckon you might be getting a bit close with a genuine 2.8.
To be honest, I've never found a huge benefit from using very wide rear tyres. The Gazzaloddi Jnr 2.3 or Specialized Chunder 2.3 (awesome tyre across many surfaces) are my favored, anything wider tending to become something of a drag, literally.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I shouldn't have clearance issues with the 2.8 but I'm thinking about when the tire is compressed how that will affect it. The smallest area on the rear swing arm is about 3.1 inches. I was thinking about getting maxxis minions dhf/dhr 2.7 up front and 2.5 in the rear. Does anyone run a similar setup?

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
2.8 is huge!!!!!!!! get a 2.5 for the front and a 2.35 for the rear... much less rotating mass and anything bigger is just a waist...

Although I am running 2.6's front and back... but they are more like 2.4 or .5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts