Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm running about 240-250psi to get the proper sag on an FSR XC with a 6.0X1.25 Float. I know the max pressure is 300 psi, but I was thinking running as much pressure as I am for long periods with hard hits could be detrimental.

Anyone else run this kind of pressure in their air shocks and have you had any problems?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I run 220 to 230 in...

mattsavage said:
I'm running about 240-250psi to get the proper sag on an FSR XC with a 6.0X1.25 Float. I know the max pressure is 300 psi, but I was thinking running as much pressure as I am for long periods with hard hits could be detrimental.

Anyone else run this kind of pressure in their air shocks and have you had any problems?
The Float Itch Switch on my Enduro and the same on the Fox Triad on my Stumpy with no problems. The shocks are designed to take it. As long as you don't exceed the max recommended pressure you won't have any problems. When you are riding and take a hit that fully compresses the shock the pressure ramps up WAY beyond the max recommended. The max recommendation is just so that under load at full compression the pressure will not exceed the max that the seals etc. can handle, and they can handle quite a bit more than 300 psi. You shouldn't have any problems running 240 to 250, your still well within the limits of the shocks capabilities.

Good Dirt

·
MattSavage
2,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, That's what I was hoping to hear. I put an after market linkage on my bike and I knew I would need a little more pressure to get the same sag, but I wasn't expecting that much! Typically I run 180, 200 at the most, depends on the trail.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't worry :)

A couple of years ago I asked Fox this same question. They said that the limit of 300 lbs was only due to the fact that it is the maximum pressure the shock pump can measure. The shocks are designed to go way over that amount, since everytime they compress in half, the pressure quadruples if I recall correctly. So, don't worry about it and run it at the pressure you need for proper sag.

·
Registered
85 Posts
mattsavage said:

At present, I'm running a Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air on my bike....

I weigh 235...and I run my SPV chamber at 75psi with the main spring air chamber at 170psi....and the ride is SWEET.

Most air shocks nowadays have a blow-off valve just in case you do encounter that wheel-eating bump on the trail.

Personally, I don't think I would ever run my pressure that high...it would wind up taking its toll on the frame and linkage eventually.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.