Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Clydesdale or Bear?

Big Fletch said:
I am 6'6" and 460, just starting up again after a year, i have a Ventana El Padrino 24 inch with upgraded HD frame tubes, with chris holm unicycle downhill rims, 36 hole, schwalbe big apple 2.35 tires, bmx 10 inch rise bars and thomson 410 seatpost, Ventana rigid front fork
TreButler said:
6'2", 430lbs. I'm riding a 2010 Giant Rincon for about a month now. Race Face grips, Crank Bros. Candy and Mallet 2 pedals (I switch up), and probably the single most important upgrade, a gel saddle:) After many test rides and months of research this fit felt best; especially at a shade under $500. Thanks to everyone on this thread for all of the tremendous help/info!
I thought I was big...I need to hang around you guys!:thumbsup:

6'9" and 400lbs+ (probably 430lbs...scale needs a battery) and I recently purchased a Dawes Haymaker 1500. I (now) know that its not the choice most of you would consider, but price was a big consideration. I needed something to get me back on the road. Its currently for exercise, as I enjoyed biking as a kid and throughout college, and it holds up well so far. I will keep it running and probably upgrade it if need be, as long as I dont spend too much within the first year of ownership. I have already replaced the handlebar with a more 'hybrid' type, and replaced the saddle with a wider one.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm 6'3", 260 - 265 lbs (working on dropping weight though). I'm currently riding a Large (20" frame) Jamis Dakota 29er with Salsa Semi rims laced to 36 spoke XT hubs, 2.25" tires, 180mm front, 160mm rear Shimano hydros, Race Face Diabolus riser bars with ODI lock on grips. I took the OEM WTB Dual Duty wheels and put 700c street tires on them for pavement duty. I love my bike!

I'm thinking about building up a Salsa Big Mama, but I don't know how well that frame would handle a clydsdale like me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
(This is my first post.)

6', 299 down from 345 last fall. Been reading this forum a lot and went out this past weekend to test ride some bikes: Fuji, Jamis, Felt, Specialized, Giant. They ranged from "no way" to okay. The Specialized (Rockhopper disc) was probably the best of them. Went out on Monday looking to ride the Rockhopper again. Unfortunately the store I went to didn't have any. (Guess I should have called first.)

Went to another nearby store that I'd seen an ad for. They didn't carry Specialized but they did have Fisher and there were a couple of those on my "want to try" list. So what's the very first bike to the right of the door as I come inside? 2009 Kona Hoss -- in my size. It's covered in mud and sitting in my garage now. Too bad I'm out of town until Saturday.

Anyway... thanks to everyone here who's provided information and shared their stories. It's good to know there are other big guys out there turning the cranks.

·
Clydesdale 29er
189 Posts
mo_feezy said:
What is the highest safe pressure on a 2009 reba team dual air?
The chart says "135+" for riders above 220lbs. I'm closer to 300, and want to go higher than 135, but I don't want to break anything. any ideas?
I'm 6'4" 270 lbs and I run my Reba sl 29er at 175+/175-

·
Registered
240 Posts
Been lurking, but its time to come out of the closet.

Started at 300 at the end of last season... I had dropped riding in a big way for over 5 years and it was time to come back, for my mental and physical health.

I am now 285. I am 6'2"

I ride a few bikes, some meant for my weight and size others not so much.

Giant Reign, with some beefy components, but a flexy fork that must go.
Bianchi BUSS
Kona AA
Gary Fisher 293 (technically this just sold)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't want to sound cheap, but is there a relaible "beginner" bike that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars? It's been over 20 years since I last rode a bike so I don't want to drop a lot of money at first.

·
Registered
52 Posts
fuzygrub said:
I don't want to sound cheap, but is there a relaible "beginner" bike that doesn't cost hundreds of dollars? It's been over 20 years since I last rode a bike so I don't want to drop a lot of money at first.
Hundreds or Thousands? A good bike that isnt used and old is going to be more than a WalMart special, so you are already in the $300+ range.

·
Registered
22 Posts
5'11" and a load at 350. I don't ride nearly often enough but aim to get over that this year. The whole point of me being here is to motivate myself. My main ride is a Surly Instigator That I built up for the '06 season with DH and dirt jumping components to endure my weight. Azonic Outlaw wheels, Marzocchi DJ1 fork, Crupi Pro round pedals and Avid Juicy 7 disk brakes. Zero issues other than the brakes binding up when I put it away for the winter and needing a bleed.

My original MTB which I've owned since '92 is my '92 Bridgestone MB-4. This is the bike I learned to trail ride on and it's worth so little as a used bike that I'll keep it forever. It's currently my foul weather/heavy duty SUV road bike. The Rhyno Lites have held up well with only an occasional truing being needed. I eventually want to turn this into a low budget fendered and racked XO-1 with a moustache bar.
This is the current setup but also fully fendered and with a rear rack.

Finally, I was in the market for a touring road bike to build my base miles......and bought a race bike...;) It's a 1992 Raleigh Technium Competition 531. This is an odd bike with Reynolds 531 tubes bonded to aluminum lugs with aerospace adhesive. I really wanted downtube shifters and this had a full Shimano 600 14 speed drivetrain, a very nicely repainted frame and a Kestral carbon fiber fork for $150. I threw on a 12-28 MTB 7spd cassette and juggled a few Sugino cranks to come up with a more friendly 36/48 crank combo. This bike and it's 32 spoke rims are holding up surprisingly well considering I'm probably twice the intended weight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I currenty ride a (new) 2009 Kona Dawg Deluxe. VERYYY BEEFY!. When I bought it had the rims upgraded to a much beefier Mavic EX325 rims (wheelset). I used to ride a 99 Kona Muni-Mula which I had built up from the frame. Last July or August I noticed the seat tube had cracked about 2/3 way around above the bottom bracket. I guess for that frame to last 10 years is pretty good with a Clydesdale Hoss on top of it. So I bought my Dawg Deluxe back in October or so. Sadly I have ridden it maybe a dozen times and only once on local trails. Excuses Excuses. Trying to get motivated..

But in summary, I love my bike. Very beefy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
6' 1" 320

Currently on a Felt Compulsion 1. Upgraded from a Redemption 3 that held up great. Broke the the upper shock pivot mount bolt twice but a side form that absolutely nothing that was caused from weight. Start talking about things broken from my lack of skill and I got a whole 'nother list for ya.

·
Registered
300 Posts
LoL you kinda necro’d a 12 year old thread. 🤣 That said it was cool to read through some of the posts.

6’ 285lbs, Hightower v2 with FloatX and 36 fox grip2 fork.

Trail riding in Oklahoma and Bentonville area. Planning on hitting Angel Fire and Winter Oark this summer.

141 - 159 of 159 Posts