Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im looking into getting back into riding. Im 6'4 and about 300 lbs. getting back into shape and figured I'd start hitting up the trails. Im not real hardcore and wont be doing big drops,but I want something that isnt gonna be just an on road bike. I guess Im looking at FS and something thats gonna be long and tall enough for me. So far Ive seen that I like are the iron horses but I have zero idea what to look for. Price is pretty open but I cant afford a 3 grand bike.

· Registered
6 Posts
Am 240lbs/6ft2in and used to ride Cannondales and now ride Santa Cruz. The SCs are great, the XL frames large enough and built well. Am riding a Blur & Nomad. Looking at the new Superlight for XC as my wife has offered to buy me a new frame for my 40th...and I guess she wants me to stay in shape. Price is good and reckon that's a light as I want to get. Dont go light on the rims - I've popped a few too many spokes on my CrossMax and gone back to Mavic 819s

· long standing member
3,095 Posts
michaelpeh said:
Hi, Im looking into getting back into riding. Im 6'4 and about 300 lbs. getting back into shape and figured I'd start hitting up the trails. Im not real hardcore and wont be doing big drops,but I want something that isnt gonna be just an on road bike. I guess Im looking at FS and something thats gonna be long and tall enough for me. So far Ive seen that I like are the iron horses but I have zero idea what to look for. Price is pretty open but I cant afford a 3 grand bike.
There's no short answer for you question. You want strong components, that's for sure. Parts made for freeride or downhilling would be best, although not absolutely necessary. Strong wheels, preferably handbuilt. If purchasing a full-suspension frame, you want something that has enough travel to allow for a comfortable ride and not too much to sacrifice pedaling efficiency. Many trailbikes are now in the 5" to 6" travel range. You want to make sure the rear suspension's average leverage ratio isn't too high. The higher the leverage ratio the higher rate coil spring or higher air pressure that you need, and us bigger guys can exceed shock capabilities pretty quick with a high leverage ratio suspension.

Do some poking around on the various manufacturer boards to get an idea of what models are out there. On bike that immediately comes to mind as potentially a good clyde trail bike is the Heckler. Quite a few clydes riding around happy on those.

Here are a few more threads that may help steer you in the right direction:

t=227938
t=214057
t=221593
t=219428

Hope that helps.

· Registered
54 Posts
I was exactly where you were...I am now 275lbs. I went with a HT (Kona, Hoss). I will ride a HT until I am at 225 to 250lbs. I road a few Fs bike and felt I was pushing their limits at 300lbs. I took a least expensive route, did so up grades etc. Love my bike and will probably always keep it as a commuter etc, after I buy a FS bike. I also figure I can get significantly more performance out of a FS bike when my weight is lighter then at 300lbs. You might want to re-eval why you want a FS bike now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.