Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a solid 250 lbs geared up, and I ride a mix of rocky, rooty, up-down singletrack with the occasional bike park day thrown in. I'll do drops up to about 3 - 4 feet at the biggest, and I try to ride fast-ish through the rock gardens and over the slabs and berms. I'm sure not winning any Enduro races, but it's fun to rip down the descents sometimes.

I'm finding that on faster descents I feel like I could use a bit more fork underneath me. Not quite sure how to describe it, other than I'm pushing the edge of confidence in my front wheel placement, and I'd like a bit smoother ride when I really let off the brakes.

I'm currently on a 2020 Rockshox Pike Select 140mm, and I can see two options:

1. Upgrade the internals on my Pike to the RC2 damper and change the air spring to 150mm to get a bit more travel. (My frame is rated to a 160mm fork, and I understand the implications on geometry.)
2. Sell my fork and buy a lyric ultimate, either 150mm or 160mm

Do any of you fellow clydesdales have experience with the Pike vs the Lyrik? Do you think the stronger fork would make a difference at my weight?

· Underskilled
4,940 Posts
Get the strongest fork you can, don't consider weight at all. It'll be negligible to the power you can put down.

My 50kg wife runs a lyrik, I think you can handle it.

I'd say either option is not ideal though.

The rc2 damper is great for a light rider (hence why my wife has one).

You would benefit from a better fork with a good damper.

I'd look for a mezzer Pro.

It'll significantly outperform the lyrik, especially for a real sized rider.

· Registered
43 Posts
Im not familiar with the pike but your experience with the fork sounds very familiar. Im not exactly your size but not the smallest nor the lighttest, im 6 foot and 200lbs and was riding a fox 34 150mm for the last 3 years. I often had the feeling that on rowdy descends the fork was getting overwhelmed. Just recently i upgraded to a lyrik ultimate 150mm and it feels so much more planted firm and it just goes where it needs to go without any protesting - very confidence inspiring!

· Registered
429 Posts
If you're looking for a stiffer fork, you won't get much improvement with upgrading the damper on the Pike. The damper has nothing to do with stiffness of the fork itself. You will feel an improvement in stiffness with the Lyrik tho. I've got a few lbs on ya and used to ride Pikes, but now I'm on either Lyriks or Zebs. The Zebs are on my bigger travel bikes and the Lyriks are on my trail bikes. Everybody's going to tell you that you need a custom tune, and maybe you do, but you're within normal operating weight for stock products, albeit on the higher end for sure. I've been happy with my stock forks, although I feel way more confident on the Zebs vs Lyriks simply b/c of how crazy stiff they are. And there's plenty of discussion in the Suspension forum about the faults of the 2.1 charger damper, but I find new damper and air springs to be pretty good for my weight and style of riding. Way better than the previous version, although probably not ideal. But what do I know? I only own like 4 old Pikes, 2 Zebs, 2 Lyriks and an old ass Fox Talas.

I'll throw one more thing into the convo. My buddy who's 265 and owns a shop is super into his DVO Onyx. Says it's the most supple fork he owns. And, if you want to go the custom tune route, DVO does them in house and it's pretty cheap compared to other custom tuners I've looked at, like 1/3 to 1/2 the price. Had them do a shock for me and unlike custom tune shops I've talked to in the past, DVO didn't balk at my weight nor tried to upsell me. But I've never ridden one of their forks, so....

· roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap! Try to buy local, which is really hard!
941 Posts
I am not a Lyric kind of guy........I like my Fox!

I agree with lots of what has been said previously!
I would say get the stiffer fork and don't waste your time trying to upgrade your old lighter fork!
Even it is a bit heavier you will love it on the rough stuff!

Good Luck!

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is all great advice. Consensus sounds like Lyrik is the front runner, with some votes thrown in there for the Mezzer Pro and DVO. Upgrading the pike doesn't seem like the way forward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.