Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for future reference as I don't have the dinero to replace the Pike yet, but it looks like 160mm fork or better is okay on the Reign, I was looking at the setups database. Won't void the warranty?

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
I've got a 160mm talas on mine and others have gone as high as 170mm. I'm not sure if anyone's gone 180mm yet though.

Personally, I think the angles on the bike with 160mm fork are really nice. I only drop it to 130mm for tight/twisty xc stuff or for fireroad climbs. Otherwise, it stays at 160mm most of the time.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Scuffed
174 Posts
I currently have a 145mm Nixon on at the moment but would really love to get the RS u-turn 115mm-160mm Lyric. I am also interested in what Reign owners think of the bike handling at 160mm and the Lyric.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Longer Fork

actually what you guys should look in to is the axle to crown height of the fork.. there are some forks out there that has a long travel but low axle to crown and some fork has shorter travel but higher axle to crown.. one of my friend has an 05 Marzocchi AMSL 130mm which has axle to crown of 518mm which is the same axle to crown as manitou nixon 145mm

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
GiantCHaDSTeR said:
actually what you guys should look in to is the axle to crown height of the fork.. there are some forks out there that has a long travel but low axle to crown and some fork has shorter travel but higher axle to crown.. one of my friend has an 05 Marzocchi AMSL 130mm which has axle to crown of 538mm which is the same axle to crown as manitou nixon 145mm
Exactly. My TALAS 160 is only 7mm taller than your Nixon at 545mm A2C. Also, worth noting is the integrated headset helps the Reign's front end feel lower since you don't have the extra stack height of the BB cup.

A two step Totem or the new 66SL ATA would allow adjustable travel up to 180mm so that would give the bike the ability to run lower travel for XC/AM and more travel for AM/FR type of stuff. I would think those would be better fits for the Reign X though.

Cheers,
EBX

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you EBX - you are always so helpful to folks on here, and I appreciate it!
I'm going to look into a Domain 115-160, the Lyric is too expensive. Coil If I can get it.

So far am loving the bike, and thinkt he bearings and everything will hold up fine. Look for somemore pics!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
mtnbkrdr98 said:
Thank you EBX - you are always so helpful to folks on here, and I appreciate it!
I'm going to look into a Domain 115-160, the Lyric is too expensive. Coil If I can get it.

So far am loving the bike, and thinkt he bearings and everything will hold up fine. Look for somemore pics!
No worries....glad to help. I think the Domain would be a good option or perhaps picking up a used Vanilla 36. The costs of those Totem is ridiculous as are the 36's new.

I love this bike on the XC/AM terrain where it tracks really nicely, but I'm most surprised with how well this bike handles bigger stuff for a 35 lb. do-all rig. I took it on a true PNW "AM" ride yesterday with a couple thousand feet of climbing and several gaps and drops (all to tranny) and it did totally fine. I had only hit that stuff with my big bike previously, so I was a little nervous as to how well it would do. Well, it felt great on all of it and the extra bonus was I had enough energy to rail all of the trails vs. being totally knackered from hauling a 45 lb. bike uphill all day.

I've got 3 buddies on 6.6's and 3 on Nomads and, so far, I'd say my standard Reign is as capable as those bikes based on what I've hit with it. I have no doubt the Reign X would hold it's own to those 2 bikes on everything.

Peace.
EBX

·
Registered
326 Posts
ebxtreme said:
FSR......you're right.

he old Z150's and the newer Z1's (I think the AM series too) at 150mm of travel are 538mm A2C. My '04 Z1 (130mm) is 518mm A2C.

EBX
Guys sorry about the wrong information about the axle to crown on the 130mm AMSL, the axle to crown is 518mm.. I was think about my 150mm AMSL while responding to the thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.