Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a sweet used 2011 Big Dummy, with the stock Xtracycle v-racks. I'd like to use some collars to stiffen the racks for carrying passengers, and I'm wondering which collars I need. I notice the Dummy Rail Collars page says "will not work with Xtracycle rails." I notice the Xtracycle Rack Locks page says "will not work on a Surly Big Dummy."

I had the first-generation Big Dummy back in 2010 and used Whatyamacollars, which worked great but seem to no longer be made...

Any help?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Big Dummy rail collars should work OK on a 2011.
I have a first gen 2007 swoop and only fitted collars on a few years back when my son started on the back and I used rail collars to fit V racks as I changed over from P racks.

Jamie
Just dug this old photo out and you can see the collars clearly. I used four and from memory I fitted these when they first released the rail collars after whatchamacollars became unavailable. I've taken my racks on and off and the collars never move they work great. Can't imagine why a 2011 would be different as the Xtracycle racks are the same, unless there is something different diameter wise with the frame, especially when Surly released them for the later frames.
Hope this helps anyway.
Jamie
DSCN3462 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.