Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18" frame has arrived at the shop and now we need to build it up.

I have questions for those of you that have been on this bike for a while; mangoman, Devo, Vik, Pigeonfarmer, etc

If you were to choose between BB5's or 7's and Juicy 5's for your big Dummy, what would you pick and why?

Those of you with Brooks saddles, what model have you found works well? Springs? or no springs? What about the Selle Anantomica? Mangoman, you've had it for a while, what do you think? Quality, support, comfort?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
The bigger models of brooks would be preferable. Unless you're 200lbs+ the springs do nothing really. I avoid them too as most of the models require a straight post instead what is the standard one. I currently have an Imperial on mine because I got for $60. A lower cost option is to try one of the ones from http://www.velo-orange.com/brookssaddles.html . I have their raciest model and it works fine. Feels pretty good just like my two Brooks.

I have BB7s. Avoid the BB5s. Just get the BB7s and a 203mm rotor in the front and a 185mm in the rear. The only reason for the 185mm instead of the 203mm in the rear is that it is a pain to install the caliper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
BB7s, definitely - hydraulics are nice, but unless you are already set up for it, they take some investment in a different set of maintenance equipment. Cables are easy, and they work well. I would advise lubing the threads of the pad adjusters on both sides before installation, just to make future adjustments easier. As far as Brooks/Selle Anatomica are concerned, it is always best to sit on any saddle that you are interested in, to make sure that it fits your sit bones. For upright riding (Albatross or North Road style bars) I favor wider saddles. The B72 is my personal favorite, but they're all nice, and I know many folks who swear by the coil springs. Selle Anatomicas are comfy and waterproof (if you get the waterproof model), but not really as wide as I like for an upright position - perfect for a more aggressive "road" cockpit.,

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
I know I've only had my dummy a couple weeks, and you're looking for advice from someone with long term dummy experience, but I have thousands of miles on my Brooks Professional, which is now on my new dummy. I have found that it's even more comfortable than it was on my previous bikes, but that could have something to do with the gigantic big apple tires which provide substantial cushion. Anyway, my vote is for Brooks, the only bike seat that really feels comfortable to me.

·
Registered
439 Posts
As someone new to hydraulics, it took me a really, really long time to get them working on the BD. It didn't help that I bought them on Craigslist and both lines were detached -- but I guess I would have had to use a longer rear line anyway. I can never resist the sweet deal, though... Juicy 7 front and rear complete setup with rotors for $50.

The standard 2m Avid line I bought was *just* barely long enough to reach the back -- I think I took a couple inches off it, if anything. After re-bleeding the lines at least three times, they're finally working very well!

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Whoa...late to the party. Sorry.

BB7's, in case you haven't seen enough endorsements from everyone else.

And saddles: my Brooks B17 is now back on the Goat. If you go that route, be willing to give it several hundred miles before its broken in. Mine took about 700+. And I soaked it in Neatsfoot oil (after generous use of Proofide, etc.)

The Selle An-Atomica? Worth it. Put it this way: it's on my Long Haul Trucker, the bike that I'm shipping to San Francisco for a cross-country ride (to Yorktown, VA) this summer.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Adding to the very late replies, since I'm cruising the top of the forum. :)

I put a Brooks B68 on mine and somewhat regret it. The B68 is the wider "city" model, and I think if I was sitting bolt upright it would be fine. I haven't found a short enough stem/long enough bars though, so end up leaning forward and the wider saddle becomes a literal PITA. I tried tipping it forward a hair, but then it felt like I was sliding off the front.

As for brakes, I use BB7's as well for simplicity ... but taking Surly's suggestion to not over-brake the front and fold the fork, I put a 203mm on the rear and a 185mm on the front. The huge rotor in the rear works great on its own on the flats, as well as for dragging on downhills. Since I use the rear the majority of the time, I've even considered reversing the levers (UK/moto style) so I can more easily gripshift when slowing down/feathering the brake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In regards to Schmucker's first reply about Brooks sprung saddles saying: "Unless you're 200lbs+ the springs do nothing really", I would add that, yes, the springs do nothing UNLESS YOU HIT A BUMP. In fact, they should not do anything unless you hit a bump lest the ride quality suffer. I can say from experience that the difference in bump and vibration reduction between a standard Brooks and a sprung Brooks is quite substantial, and I'm a 180 pounder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.