Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Riding or Drumming
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any do's / don'ts build tips from Big Dummies owners ?

I just picked up my frame tonight and am giddy !! I'm spraying the frame with J.P Weigle tomorrow and gathering components from my shop.

Super excited for the build after debating the B.D. / Radish choice for WAY too long...

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Things I've learned.

Freeloaders ****ing blow. Buy BOB Dry Saks to put in them ASAP. Freeloaders don't hold ****.
Add cinch straps from the lower frame all the way up to the top of the V-racks. The freeloaders flop out without them and it's annoying.
Passengers really do need a magic carpet. I used vintage NOS GT Fork standers instead of the overpriced footsies. Now they're always there and ready to go if necessary.
Get a roll of the double sided velcro tape. It's awesome for customizing your strapping.
Get a couple of cheap ratchet straps. Go to Harbor Freight or something. You really don't need much of a weight limit since you'll never really exceed it.
Make the wheels beefy and abuse the **** out of it like it's supposed to. That's what I do. Running strong.

·
Riding or Drumming
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Schmucker said:
Things I've learned.

Freeloaders ****ing blow. Buy BOB Dry Saks to put in them ASAP. Freeloaders don't hold ****.
Add cinch straps from the lower frame all the way up to the top of the V-racks. The freeloaders flop out without them and it's annoying.
Passengers really do need a magic carpet. I used vintage NOS GT Fork standers instead of the overpriced footsies. Now they're always there and ready to go if necessary.
Get a roll of the double sided velcro tape. It's awesome for customizing your strapping.
Get a couple of cheap ratchet straps. Go to Harbor Freight or something. You really don't need much of a weight limit since you'll never really exceed it.
Make the wheels beefy and abuse the **** out of it like it's supposed to. That's what I do. Running strong.
Good stuff. Keep it coming...

·
Registered
62 Posts
funkydrum said:
Any do's / don'ts build tips from Big Dummies owners ?

I just picked up my frame tonight and am giddy !! I'm spraying the frame with J.P Weigle tomorrow and gathering components from my shop.

Super excited for the build after debating the B.D. / Radish choice for WAY too long...
Thanks for the frame saver tip, I caught the guy building mine just in time before he started assembling the Dummy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Schmucker said:
Things I've learned.

Schmucker can you post pics of your setup? I'm interested in seeing the fork standers. Not an easy item to find btw... I agree the footsies things seem silly. Surly also has some tips in their blog post about the Dummy here: http://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/spew_19_big_dummy/

3,617 Posts
wideloaders, work just fine as footsies, especially with some kind of "grip" wrapped around them, like old road bike tyres.

honestly...

one bummer with a longtail cargo bike, is the loading.
i've broken 3 kickstands
i use the kickstand only when i don't need to load it so much.
the best method is to lay it on it's wideloader.

if the wideloader is wrapped in something, like a road bike tyre...
laying it on its side is "nice"<---- for lack of better descriptive (???)

plus
when/if you carry a passenger, the bar of the WideLoader, being already wrapped, works just as well as footsies

but of course, they are WideLoaders
not as slim as "not having Wideloaders"
that is...
wideloaders are much wider than the dummy with only footsies...

OH!!!

you will more than likely appreciate a "stoker bar"
not so much for a passenger

but really...
so that you'll have an extra handlebar to grab hold of when it comes time to wrassle your rig.

that is...
the extra handlebar is great for moving your bike around.
whether its rolling it down a set of stairs
or simply
maintaining control of it while its loaded, and you have to walk it down a hall or something.

stoker bar!
you want it.

i simply used an old stem, and bar
a 1" & 1/8" stem with a shim to fit 27.2mm <---- seatpost diameter

all edges of bike, i make smooth
that is... reduce things to snag on
like...
rubber handlebar grips.... put a plastic cap on them or something.
this way, to reduce chances of something catching on your bike...

like...
parked bike, someone walks by, "oh look... cool bike"
they stop and stare, or just pass by
maybe some clothing catches the bar... like a shirt, or dress, or some little kid...
and the bike falls over...
maybe the bike is loaded with 50lbs of stuff, and it smashes someone's grandma, or someone's kid....

3,617 Posts
superjohnny said:
Schmucker can you post pics of your setup? I'm interested in seeing the fork standers. Not an easy item to find btw... I agree the footsies things seem silly. Surly also has some tips in their blog post about the Dummy here: http://surlybikes.com/blog/spew/spew_19_big_dummy/
that "spew" is a great reference!

attention: Suspension
and keep in mind the weight distribution

I have yet to put a suspension fork on my dummy... it seems that it would be really expensive to get a good fork that i'd feel would be reliable... i can imagine $600 for a suspension fork, and of course it needs to be able to handle adjustments.

i.e. I weigh 170lbs... how in the heck is a suspension fork going to handle adding 50lbs?
i mean... is there even a fork on the market that can handle "on the fly" preload adjustments in that wide of a range?
then, would you really even want it?

sometimes i do think of it tho...

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Took me quite a while to get mine fitted properly. It's an 18" and I'm 5'8", 175 pounds, and I finally found that being more upright was better for me. Now I can (and do) ride this monster all day.

One of those tweaks in the cockpit was the bars. I went through a few, including different stem stack heights, too. Settled on the swept-back Jones H-Bar, Loop version, and it's a winner:

You can see how high my stack is in this photo:

At some point, I might remove a few spacers, add my Ahearne bottle opener, and be done with it, but, generally, this feels great. So...my advice is to be flexible and willing to make adjustments to your setup over time...I know that sounds painfully obvious. However, the Dummy's cool/fun factor will overwhelm you in the first few hundred miles (or more) and it's easy to overlook the nuances of a well-tweaked fit.

And here's my build spec's, for what it's worth:

More than anything, as it's mentioned above, USE IT!

3,617 Posts
superjohnny said:
Hmmm, not ghetto at all Devo... that's good work there.
if I was super ultra...
I'd pull the kevlar bead out of a folding tyre
and use it to lace the carcass to the wideloaders, using an awl
a la steering-wheel-esq method

or maybe something a kin
to sewing buck skin with a bone and sinew
but rather use an old spoke and kevlar bead...

·
Registered
238 Posts
SelfPropelledDevo said:
OH!!!

you will more than likely appreciate a "stoker bar"
not so much for a passenger

but really...
so that you'll have an extra handlebar to grab hold of when it comes time to wrassle your rig.

that is...
the extra handlebar is great for moving your bike around.
whether its rolling it down a set of stairs
or simply
maintaining control of it while its loaded, and you have to walk it down a hall or something.

stoker bar!
you want it.

i simply used an old stem, and bar
a 1" & 1/8" stem with a shim to fit 27.2mm <---- seatpost diameter
A couple questions... what did you use as a shim?

Also, do those folks running fenders find them near impossible to install? It doesn't appear that the fender mounts on the frame are tapped for 5mm screws. Is that just my frame or are they all that way? I bought the Planet Bike Hardcore fenders and find the rear fender will need to be modified in order to run it on the Dummy. Anyone else having trouble with fenders? What did you do?

3,617 Posts
good timing

good timing, as it turns out, I've got the dummy here today, along with my digi cam.

these fenders are Planet Bike Cascadias
i just used the provided hardware
at times I used a Dremel tool to cut, smooth, etc...

the rear fender is the trickiest
of course cutting the section for the chain
and my personal set up, was to set the fender as high up as possible, which = the fender hitting the SnapDeck, which = putting something on the fender or snapdeck to reduce/eliminate a rattle if it occurs.

my personal view of the situation is that i want a decent gap between the tyre and fender, as to make room for any debris that the tyres may pick up. like twigs. bcz i have a tendency to ride the bike in the dirt.

at the moment I'm using:
(f) Tioga DH 2.5"
(r) Intense 2.25" crosscountry

i have a set of Kenda 2.5" Short Trackers that i use front and rear.
the rear tyre may rub the fender when an adult passenger is sitting on the snapdeck.
its a close fit, and sometimes debris gets caught up, which i typically just keep riding, until its no longer an issue. if i hear something in the spokes, I stop right away.

so there you go...
fender pics.

oh ya....

you'll probably want to bow out the fender stabilizers, particularly in the rear, as to avoid them from rattling against the bike.

Attachments

3,617 Posts
superjohnny said:
A couple questions... what did you use as a shim?
for a shim i used a "seatpost shim"
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=914
914-2217 (item number) PS Seatpost Shim 27.2 - 28.6

27.2mm being the seatpost diameter
28.6mm = 1 & 1/8"

another Dremel tool job.

first i place the shim on the bike, etc...
ride around a little get someone to sit on the bike, etc..
and make sure i actually like the way its mounted.

then I marked the shim with a fine Sharpie
used a saw guide (steer tube saw guide), to make a nice cut.
then used the Dremel to smooth off any edges.

on my bike, I'm using an old Syncros stem, and its mounted upside down
which is in effort to reduce any sharp edges which is potential for injury.

if you look at the set up
you can see the top of this shim above the stem
when you get the shim, its longer than the stack height of a stem
so you have to cut it.
when i cut the shim, i cut it about 1mm shorter than the stack height of the stem
and smooth the shim out, with a Dremel, or round file
as to "hide" that sharp edge.
plus its on the lower section.

everything i do on a bike (mechanically)
i keep in mind "injury"
anything that can end up jamming into someone, is not good.
sharp edges are not good.

even the ends of the grips, are plugged off with plastic caps, to avoid something catching on them.

the stoker bar I have, is an old Kestrel carbon/kevlar weave.
the grips are Oury, that i had re-used from a GripShift setup, therefor they are short.
so i wrapped the bar with electrical tape a few times, to increase the diameter of the bar, and then slid the grips over the tape, which makes the grips "oversize", and they never slip. I used Boeshield T9 chain lube to slip them on... which is what i use for chain lube.
the grips are slid inward enough to expose the ends of the carbon bar.

when the bike is laid on its side, or if it falls over...
it hits the stoker bar, or lays on the end of the bar.

so the contact is
front handlebar
stoker bar
pedal

that is pretty much the gig.

if you use WidLoaders... i've wrapped mine with old road tyres... which gives it yet another "bumper car-esq" feature.

lates...d

Attachments

·
Lighten up.
1,089 Posts
Here's a shot of my rear Hardcore fender, as it attaches to the frame:

It bolts into the frame just fine, but I ended up bending that metal tab back on itself (see the photo) since it was in the way. At least, it seemed to be in the way. Maybe I did something wrong.

A thousand miles later, it seems to be holding up just fine.

Also, I taped up my frame, under the bags where the fender supports and bags will rub against the frame:

The tape is called Magic Tape, I think. Use it or any of the self-sealing plumbers tape. Also holding up very well with extended mileage. Granted, not Devo Abuse & Mileage, but...it's holding up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
How about alternatives to the footsies when not using the wide-loaders? Simple, short pegs or something? I just ordered up an OD green frameset - super-stoked! Thanks to all the Dummy vets for your sage advice.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.