Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 8 years of rehab from a sports injury in college, i bought a bike and started riding here in the bay area, and boy am i out of shape! I been rolling down at the interpretive (sp?) trail in hayward, nice flat land for me to start out at. I have to stop every once in a while but to each its own pace. I been able to ride out to san leandro and back. Hoping to see other members out on the track and you'll see me on the trail transition here and there to other tracks as i gain confidence and get back into shape! where you at bay area peeps!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
Congratulations. The most important thing is you have fun. As long as you are having fun, you will keep riding and you will get faster and be able to ride longer.

When I look back, I am amazed at how much stronger I have gotten over the years (and I am by no means a fast rider). When I first got back on my bike 8 years ago, the ride I did had about 600 feet of fire road climbing. It took me 45 minutes to climb the 2 miles or so, with 4-5 breaks on the way up, then we came back down. I now do that same climb in 20 or so minutes without stopping and it is a warm-up. Fast riders can probably do it 12 minutes.

Good luck, keep at it and enjoy.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Way to go Ralphy boy!

Raphy said:
After 8 years of rehab from a sports injury in college, i bought a bike and started riding here in the bay area, and boy am i out of shape! I been rolling down at the interpretive (sp?) trail in hayward, nice flat land for me to start out at. I have to stop every once in a while but to each its own pace. I been able to ride out to san leandro and back. Hoping to see other members out on the track and you'll see me on the trail transition here and there to other tracks as i gain confidence and get back into shape! where you at bay area peeps!:thumbsup:

Just keep at it, and next thing you know you'll start finding yourself waiting for slow people at the top of the climbs in your ride group.... then you realize you were once there, and it's all part of the fun... and really, its not that hard to get there. The important thing is just to ride lots and have fun doing it.

I used to have to do the lower trail climbs at China Camp in my lowest granny gear, and still stop every 5 minutes... Now I'm middle ringing most of it, and big ringing the rest (when I'm not riding the singlespeed). I don't really work too hard at trying to be faster, I just try to ride whenever I can, which isn't often enough.

It sounds like what you are doing already, but find a pace you can sustain for a good long while, and keep at it. If you keep at it, you'll find yourself going faster with no more effort.

I love riding. It's my escape, my meditation, my medicine all in one.... even if it is boring old china camp a lot of the time.

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
CDMC said:
Congratulations. The most important thing is you have fun. As long as you are having fun, you will keep riding and you will get faster and be able to ride longer........
I want to echo what CDMC said and I'm going to brag about my riding buddy Ogre.

I didn't keep track of time and pounds, but he has shed a bunch of weight and he and his team mate won the 2 man 24 Hr. Cool race this year.

Keep it fun, keep it up.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Start slow and work your way to what you and your soon to be biking friends are capable of. It helps to have a couple of buds to ride with occasionally so you will keep up the pace of getting better because you will want to beat them some day. Always hydrate during your ride since most beginner riders forget this part, oh yeah, wear a helmet even if you think it looks stupid. Enjoy the thing that we forgot about as teens then when we do return to it we have as much fun as we did when we were little kids.

·
sunnyside up
1,193 Posts
Awesome. Doin' it is the most important thing. Even really big people can get fit, or at least a whole lot fitter, even if you aren't losing much weight. It's just a matter of doing it over and over. You will get stronger and faster.

If you are looking for social rides with other riders who ride slower, which can be very motivating, check out Mere Mortals http://www.mere-mortals.org/ and the Passion Trail Bikes Wednesday night ride, where you can join the Fat Bottomed Girls and Flabby Bellied Guys on the FBG ride. The FBG ride is usually pretty short, and always slow. It does involve breaking a sweat though. We are across the San Mateo Bridge in Belmont. http://www.passiontrailbikes.com/pages/weeklyrides

If you haven't yet found the clydesdale forum, you might drop in over there. Lots of support from other big dudes.

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Patty

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd like to second and third those suggestions

I rode only on my own...not sure what was the right fitness level for me to join a group ride. I still remember my first, a Romp ride. It wasn't easy but having company was great and I learned plenty over the next year or two.

Ogre is riding great, I was with him last Friday (the fourth) but don't send him off on a fire road route!
:D
He wasn't a happy camper :madmax: but to help Big Larry celebrate his birthday, we ditched him when he made a wrong turn (that's the second time Larry).

Patty has some really good suggestioins...if you can make it to the other side of the bay. They serve up a feast afterward too!

Best to you, we've all been there!

Kathleen

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great replies guys! im so excited to hear, and thanks patty for those links. im sure i'll check them out. its been a slow process for me as im hoping to speed them up. yesterday i went again from hayward all the way to the marina in san leandro. and headed back. all in about 3.5 hours. i'll check out the links. soon i'll be checking out other trails in the bay area as flat lands arestarting to get boring now:p

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Let me add....

Raphy said:
great replies guys! im so excited to hear, and thanks patty for those links. im sure i'll check them out. its been a slow process for me as im hoping to speed them up. yesterday i went again from hayward all the way to the marina in san leandro. and headed back. all in about 3.5 hours. i'll check out the links. soon i'll be checking out other trails in the bay area as flat lands arestarting to get boring now:p
... that the old rule of '90% of success is just showing up' applies very strongly here. Just getting out on your bike and pedaling... pretty much anywhere... will get you going, and get you in shape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.