Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago, my peak riding year, I didn't have much trouble riding my age (63) at Auburn. But last year my ride was shortened due to a mechanical problem. I've been slowing ever since and I was doubtful I could make 65 miles this year. Yesterday Cohenfive and I did the old Auburn 24 miler at a pretty leisurely pace and after we finished I went on to my usual ride up Stagecoach - Manzanita - Mossy Rock out to Foresthill Divide. Victory Velo in Auburn built me a new killer bike for my birthday: 29er S-Works Stumpjumper FSR and I took it on a short shakedown ride a few days ago. On that ride I had a few problems with the chain on the rear cassette, but I figured it was just due to sloppy shifting on my part.

On yesterdays ride the problem got progressively worse. While in the small front chain ring (2x10) the chain would jump up several cogs, get stuck, I'd about fall over, and it felt like the chain was about to break. So by about mile 30 I could only use the big cassette cog with the small front ring. So without about half my gears riding became much more difficult, and not wanting to risk blowing up and/or breaking the chain, I only did one loop of Foresthill Divide. When I got back to the Confluence parking I was at about 57 miles so I decided to go up Clementine and come back down Culvert and Confluence. Going up Clementine with limited gears was really tedious. When I reached the bottom of The Confluence I was pretty close to 65 miles so I went out and back on Clementine to get up to 65 miles.

Cohenfive accompanied me up Stagecoach and down Manzanita, where he had quite a spectacular fall on the first big Manzanita drop just before the bridge, and he was lucky to escape with only a few scratches.

Summary-5-3-14.jpg

S-Works-2013S.jpg

Birthday-5-3-14.jpg

·
Track Junkie
1,236 Posts
Congrats on the birthday, and you're continued dedication to staying on the bike!

What was the issue with the shifting? Did you get it corrected after the ride?

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Great ride Steve, and fantastic accomplishment, especially without a full suite of gears. I'm sure it is just normal adjustments. I had a great ride albeit a short one at only 30 miles and 3700 ft of climbing. It was a relaxed pace, but I went back and checked and for me it was the fastest time I have ever done that loop. Go figure....As for my fall, from my side it wasn't very spectatcular as I was trying to meander down some rocks at a slow pace, and just didn't quite make the turn back to the trail...so off I went into a bunch of downed tree limbs. Only scrapes. Anyway, great day and I'm glad I was able to at least get Steve warmed up! Here are a few from the ride....

·
Paper or plastic?
10,134 Posts
Impressive

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts