Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone spent a good amount of time saving up for a really nice ride, just to be disappointed shortly thereafter about the purchase? The dilema I face is whether I should get a Monocog (affordable) now or wait a little longer and build myself up a pretty tricked out frameset of my dreams such as a juan solo or gunnar ruffian. I can seem to decide whether a gunnar, which will cost about 4x the price of the monocog will bring me 4x the amount of happiness. I would like to say it would be worth every penny, but padding my savings account is also worth something to me.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
It's all relative...

unsuspended said:
Has anyone spent a good amount of time saving up for a really nice ride, just to be disappointed shortly thereafter about the purchase? The dilema I face is whether I should get a Monocog (affordable) now or wait a little longer and build myself up a pretty tricked out frameset of my dreams such as a juan solo or gunnar ruffian. I can seem to decide whether a gunnar, which will cost about 4x the price of the monocog will bring me 4x the amount of happiness. I would like to say it would be worth every penny, but padding my savings account is also worth something to me.
My second mountain bike was a huge step up in price for me but a serious step back in ride quality, feel, etc. from my first bike.

But I've also spent a ton of money on a bike that I don't ever see replacing. Is there a better bike out there for less money that would ride as nice for me? Perhaps, perhaps not.

So the answer to your problem is one that we really can't help you with.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
Agree with Ken in KC

Finances is such a personal subject. Some people love dumping money into their bike and others resent paying a nickle more than they have to. I suggest you decide which type of person you are, then following your heart.

By the way there are actually two types of people in the world: Those who divide the population into two types and those who don't.

--Sparty

Ken in KC said:
My second mountain bike was a huge step up in price for me but a serious step back in ride quality, feel, etc. from my first bike.

But I've also spent a ton of money on a bike that I don't ever see replacing. Is there a better bike out there for less money that would ride as nice for me? Perhaps, perhaps not.

So the answer to your problem is one that we really can't help you with.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
I spent a lot of money on my second road bike. It's nice and i'm not mad I did it. BUT it sits in the basement right now while I ride the first road bike I ever bought almost every day. I just like riding that one better despite the "improvements" offered by the second one.

Order the monocog and ride. If you ever get the itch to upgrade you can but you may find yourself very happy.

Chris
PS I'm getting a 2006 Monocog frameset for Christmas :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
learnt a big lesson

About a year ago now my father died and he left me with enough money to buy the bike of my dreams.My life has always revolved around bikes so it made sense for me to go all out and get the bike that i hoped would be with me forever.Unfortunatly i learnt the hard way(maybe by my father trying to teach me a lesson about expensive possesions)that cycling isnt about what you own,but more importanatly what you,yourself can put into it.It is about enjoying yourself no mater what you ride.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the opinions guys. at least i'm going right to the ss rather than dumping money into a nice fs rig that will sit in basement.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well I am going to have to say.....make yourself the perfect bike....
I spent about $2700(on my ss) ordering parts, I pretty much made no compromises, I have bought three bikes since then and it is still my main ride. If you know what you want, why get anything else?

·
DiscoCowboy
342 Posts
Maybe go inbetween...

The monocog is an okay entry level ride, but compared to a better bike it isn't even close. You may want to look at an ON-ONE, Surly, Soma (to name a few) also.

Going into debt for a bike is never a good idea.

unsuspended said:

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
You should think long and hard about what you "need" and what you "want".

For me, I always try to build / buy the best I can get regardless of the cost, because my experience in the past has always been that you get what you pay for.

Cheap is ok, but if you want the performance then you have to pay for it.

R.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Rainman said:
You should think long and hard about what you "need" and what you "want".

For me, I always try to build / buy the best I can get regardless of the cost, because my experience in the past has always been that you get what you pay for.

Cheap is ok, but if you want the performance then you have to pay for it.

R.
ahhh.....such words of wisdom. i belong to that same cult.

i spent $3000 out the door on my 26" single speed and $2200 on my 29" single speed and while I could probably enjoy the actual ride equally on bikes half the cost, I have no regrets.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This year I got myself a Cheaper bike, I was looking at the GF Tassajara but got the GF Marlin (and did a few upgrades) because I figured for the money I was spending I'd have a bike that would work really well for me. At the time the Tass was going to be just out of my budget so I thought I would get the Marlin and upgrade later.

Well after riding it for a season I really don't have any regets on the purchase, but I do know that for my next bike I'm going to be saving for what I really want on the bike rather then pulling the trigger when I can afford something that will work. I figure, I have a bike that suits my riding style now, it doesn't need to have anything changed on it for me to have fun on it next season.

So I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that repairs are kept to a minimum and any money that would go to upgrades is going to be saved for my next bike. (However I don't expect to have a total bling bike)

·
I'm sticky
143 Posts
I think Allroy has the best advice...

The answer is often somewhere in the middle. Go with something that is only twice as expensive as a Monocog (about a grand or so?). You'll be happier.

You can always upgrade parts from there, but your starting point will be much better.

Often "entry-level" purchases turn out to be bad choices - step up to a Surly, On-One, etc.

As for the big ticket bikes... if you can afford one... sure. But if it's something you need to "save" for it probably isn't worth the extra cash (your money is probably more valuable spent elsewhere).

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
Exactly

unsuspended said:
thanks for the opinions guys. at least i'm going right to the ss rather than dumping money into a nice fs rig that will sit in basement.
You mean like this one?

Great FS bike, but it sits in the basement a lot. Kind of a shame really...and makes the wife really happy (not) :(

Attachments

·
Don't be a sheep
3,442 Posts
FoShizzle said:
.....and this one....
Hey Fo, there are some new trails in the Laguna Wilderness that would be a blast on that bike............if ya give it to me I'd be glad to ride them on it for ya. I bet you thought I was gonna invite you out for a ride huh? :D

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Rivet said:
Hey Fo, there are some new trails in the Laguna Wilderness that would be a blast on that bike............if ya give it to me I'd be glad to ride them on it for ya. I bet you thought I was gonna invite you out for a ride huh? :D
yeah....but i should have figured you would tease me like everybody else :( however, i have next week off and do hope to ride the X5 at least once....somewhere.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.