Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys... i'm putting my race bike on a diet right now. Weighs in at 39lbs. I've also got two 2.5 WTB Dissent Race on the way along with Sunline grips on order... That should bring it down to 38lbs. How much can i lose from a lighter stem and bars. I dont want to go with carbon. The stem, preferably white and the handlebars i dont really care for colour choice... Also, how much weight will i save going to a Manitou ISX6 Evolver shock in the rear. My shock is a 8.75X2.75....

Frame : Custom White Ibex Zone FR-1
Shock : Manitou Swinger 6 Way
Fork : Devolved Manitou Sherman Slider Plus
Fr Derailer : Shimano Deore
Rr Derailer : Shimano XT
Shifters : Shimano LX
Brakes : Hayes Stroker Trail
Tyres : 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 60D
Wheelset : Azonic Outlaws White
Crankset : Truvativ Holzefeller with FSA bash
BB : Truvativ Howitzer Team
Cockpit : Truvativ Hussefelt
Headset : FSA Pig DH Pro
Pedals : Shimano 737
Saddle : WTB Rocket V
Rear Axle : Azonic Momentum Axle
Grips : White Oneals

Attachments

·
Person
775 Posts
- Trim your shifter housing/brake lines!

- I think Syncros makes a fairly light white stem

- Replace those heavy old pedals

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not too sure how much the frame weighs... probably like 9lbs or so... i dunno... question here is how much i can lose replacing parts i have now... not how light i can build it up...

i've seen the sycros stems and they're definitely in consideration. Question is to go with the AM stem or am i gonna break it and i'm better off with FR stem???

Yea, i need to cut those hoses but havent found the time for that just yet... XD Pedals need to go??? Yea, was thinking about that too... how heavy are those say compared to M540??? I like the plastic cages though. They protect against rocks and stuff...

·
I wear two thongs
1,675 Posts
Your not gonna shave a ton of weight just changing out small things like stem/bar/pedals. with the money you would spend on all that and most likely a little extra I would reccomend a lighter set of FR/DH use wheels. Plust rotational mass is where you feel the most gain from dropping some weight.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric Hoefer said:
Your not gonna shave a ton of weight just changing out small things like stem/bar/pedals. with the money you would spend on all that and most likely a little extra I would reccomend a lighter set of FR/DH use wheels. Plust rotational mass is where you feel the most gain from dropping some weight.
dont wanna skimp on wheels... i've tacoed some sun singletracks... not too nice... XD How much do you think i'll save from a Syncros AM stem and some Answer protapers?

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Do you want white or light? Put a Thomson stem on it and be done, light and strong. Wheels would be your biggest gain. What about a second set? One for racing and Azonics for your hucking duties. If you really want to lighten things up go with a Thomson post and ti railed seat, 7 "rear rotor, pedals, Ti spring, Boxxer world cup on and on. It’s tough to have a race bike that you can huck without worry. You seam to have a pretty decent set up as it is. To really lighten it up for a race bike you are going to have to expect some parts to be disposable

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
m-dub said:
Do you want white or light? Put a Thomson stem on it and be done, light and strong. Wheels would be your biggest gain. What about a second set? One for racing and Azonics for your hucking duties. If you really want to lighten things up go with a Thomson post and ti railed seat, 7 "rear rotor, pedals, Ti spring, Boxxer world cup on and on. It’s tough to have a race bike that you can huck without worry. You seam to have a pretty decent set up as it is. To really lighten it up for a race bike you are going to have to expect some parts to be disposable
if only thompson made stems in white... XD right now, i'm thinking Syncros AM. How much will a thomson post save me? And yea, i plan on a 6" rotor in the rear too. Also probably going Air with a Manitou Evolver ISX6. No plans on the fork just yet, though in the future maybe a Fox36 or a 66... Boxxers would just destroy my bikes handling... too much travel...

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tom2304 said:
I dont think the Syncos AM stem is the way to go. A weak stem is almost as bad as weak handlebars.
The AM stem cant be that weak, right? i've been hucking some xc fsa stems and stuff too and so far nothings broken...

i guess i also forgot to mention i'm 120lbs 125-130 with gear... XD

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
i would choose a dh stem over an am...

why not go with a black stem so u can actually lose more weight (the white syncros dh will let u lose 10g while a thomson will let u lose 51g) and go with a white bar like azonic b-52 which is 260g compared to your truvativ hussefelt which i believe is 334g

so total weight saving would be 125g

and...m-dub had a great post

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pipes10 said:
i would choose a dh stem over an am...

why not go with a black stem so u can actually lose more weight (the white syncros dh will let u lose 10g while a thomson will let u lose 51g) and go with a white bar like azonic b-52 which is 260g compared to your truvativ hussefelt which i believe is 334g

so total weight saving would be 125g

and...m-dub had a great post
i think i'm going to go with Answer Protaper bars... Azonic B52 is way overpriced...
http://www.hbsuspension.com/items.asp?deptid=2&itemid=33

I might go with the thompson after all...

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
11-34 or ?????

the sram pg 950 claim to have a weight of

372 g (11-32)
382 g (11-34)

sram pg 990

272 g (11-32)
305 g (11-34)

so depending on which one u have u will save 100g or 77g....more significant than the stem imo as u get more weight savings plus added performance

having lighter tubes for race purposes helps in weight as well....1.1mm thick will save u around 50g or so per tube over a 1.5mm thick..pretty cheap way to shed
weight

also, taking off that front derailleur, front shifter (and cable/housing...of course), and second chainring thus changing it into a 1x9 may save u a bit...not sure on that one though...but do u really need both??...a 36t up front would probably work well

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
pipes10 said:
buy a black stem, strip it and paint it. seems logical if you do a nice paint job...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts