Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
rock crusher
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently broke my 07 GF Caliber 29er again. This is a full squish Fisher. This is the second time the frame will have been warrantied (rear triangles broke), this after only ~20 rides on it. It is being warrantied with a 2010 GF HiFi.

I like the Fisher warranty (lifetime), but really don't like the track record. And, I have heard plenty of similar stories of breakage on Fisher frames throughout the years. So, the question becomes... sell the HiFi as a frame and upgrade? Or, ride the new bike until it breaks, then replace it down the road.

For the record, I am 6'9", 230-235 (plus gear), and ride plenty of ups/downs aggressive XC to all mountain. I tend to be hard on parts, and really have been riding my SS most of the time lately, largely due to frustration with continued breakage on my FS/geared bikes.

I would be willing to (and if money were no issue) love to get into a Sultan or an El Cap, but this would be several months and lots of saving up, leaving me with only the SS in the offroad stable for a while. What would you do?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Save up

I would save up and get a bike that fits and is strong, I have personally talked to Sherwood about the El Captain and he says he can build one to hold up to me. They also have a great warranty even though it is not for life. Im 6'10" 270lbs without gear. The only thing is a full custom comes to about $3000. So for now my custom hard tail Curtlo is doing the trick. But I use it for an XC bike, not AM or drops. The Zinn Megabike would be a good look too. It is built by Lenz I believe and is a tank of a bike. It goes for around $2600.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A Niner WFO in XL would likely do the trick. 5.5 inches of travel in a stiff and strong frame. You're not so heavy either so I doubt you would have either breakage or big flex issues. They were having a frame and fork combo deal lately as well for $2100 which is super good. Not sure if this is still going on though. Definitely worth a look. This bike would be way better than what you have; probably a little heavier but that is what you absolutely need. I would easily sell the Fisher and do the swap in a heartbeat (if you have a bit of cash).

·
rock crusher
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the frame has arrived, a 2010 HiFi Pro. I believe it is a new frame design too... improved from the 2008-09 versions. I actually dig it. I can hope that it is less prone to breakage.

But the bad: it is going to require: a new seatpost, propietary rear skewer, new tapered headset and spacers to mate up with 1 1/8 fork, proprietary front derailleur, a pressed in (proprietary?) bottom bracket (bearings), which will mean a new crankset, and then, it still leaves me with a G2 frame and a standard offset fork. If I go with a G2 Fork, I will also need to go with a 15mmQR wheel, as I am currently on a 20mm wheel. Arrrrrggggghhhh!

All in all, this "free replacement warranty" is going to cost me about $650 without the proper fork and wheel. Damn, at that price, it is looking like $1500 just to get the warranty bike up to par. Looks like the HiFi may go on the auction block...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sounds like they forced your hand.

I rode one of those new HIFi 29er's, sweat ride.

I wonder if there was ever a G2 version of you current fork. You might be able to swap parts and create a G2 fork that used 20mm. I have the impression that the crown is the only part that makes a fork have G2 geometry.

·
rock crusher
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 51mm offset G2 forks apparently gain that offset with the crown and different lowers as well.

Regardless, it looks like the Manitou Minute 20mm fork that I run has a 48mm offset (larger than I had thought). I can't really get upset over 3mm on a mtn. bike either... that would be a roadie thing to do ;) Oh well, trial and error. Plus, once I had gone to 20mm, 15 seems like a step back in stiffness. I just wish mine was a Maxle, not bolt on. Hopefully it will be rolling by next week.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It is hard to imagine that 3mm would make much difference.

There are posts here and elsewhere suggesting the HiFi rear triangles are susceptible to breakage. Hard to know exactly how big a problem it is based on a few people's stories, but seems like there is some sort of issue. Hard to know if they've taken steps to resolve it in more recent versions of the frame.

Your course of action sounds good, I'd just keep a plan B in mind.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.