Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Bike Advice for Female

What bike recommendations would you give a 5'-4" 140# female that wants to get into a little downhill riding without investing too much money.

I can't seem to stop the urge to jump things and I can keep up with most of the guys when it comes to downhill XC riding. I don't have too much money to invest so something used or entry level would be best. I already have a Giant NRS FS for XC riding. I would ride the bike infrequently due to the lack of downhill opportunities in my area. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanx

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You are lightweight, so I don't think you need anything truely massive to be successful in DH. Used can be a great way to go if you are savvy and know what to look at and what questions to ask when examining a used bike. Another great option is to see if shops have any of last years models kicking around. This is what I am doing, and currently looking at one that is 34% off MSRP (not too shabby!)

Could you give us a ballpark of what you are willing to spend, as even "entry-level" can be quite variable in price, or even way above what someone might figure that they need to spend.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Look into a small Santa Cruz Bullit with a Super t or boxxer. With the right parts spec. you could get that bike at around 38-39 lbs. Bullits are pretty cheap too.

-tmoney

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shibby said:
Could you give us a ballpark of what you are willing to spend, as even "entry-level" can be quite variable in price, or even way above what someone might figure that they need to spend.
Under $1000, the more under the better but that's the max.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
For $1000 max, I'd almost be inclined to stay away from a full-suspension and go for a FR hardtail. What are the DH trails like in your area? If they are really tame, a hardtail may be the way to go for $1k

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Shibby said:
For $1000 max, I'd almost be inclined to stay away from a full-suspension and go for a FR hardtail. What are the DH trails like in your area? If they are really tame, a hardtail may be the way to go for $1k
I've been searching classifieds lately in boredom and have found several nice looking fs bikes for $1k. Mostly bighits, but on ebay a few days ago I saw a Ironhorse SGS with Shiver and DHX and was in sweet condition with buy it now at 1k because the guy was moving. Just be patient and look through lots of classifieds and auctions online if you do go used.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
tmoney said:
Look into a small Santa Cruz Bullit with a Super t or boxxer. With the right parts spec. you could get that bike at around 38-39 lbs. Bullits are pretty cheap too.

-tmoney
this would be a great bike for you....welcome to the darkside of riding

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
LOL, I was just doing that too...I see that there are a couple good ones as well, I guess I should have looked before posting that. I will say though, that for $1000, you may be getting a surprise buying a FS used off the net (ie: sight unseen). Buyer beware and all that jazz.... But I do agree that there are deals to be had, you may just be a little safer with an HT

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Shibby said:
LOL, I was just doing that too...I see that there are a couple good ones as well, I guess I should have looked before posting that. I will say though, that for $1000, you may be getting a surprise buying a FS used off the net (ie: sight unseen). Buyer beware and all that jazz.... But I do agree that there are deals to be had, you may just be a little safer with an HT
Eh. As long as you're careful and ask enough questions you'll usually be alright. All the bikes I've bought were off the internet (except my bighit) and sometimes there's little things that need fixing but as long as you look out for good deals it should work out alright.

Here's that $1000 SGS. Guess it was on mtbr not ebay....
http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin...sults_format=long&db_id=86191&query=retrieval

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You're right, I guess I'm just am not as trusting as you. I always think that with my luck, the guy would be lying through his teeth and I'd get a severly beaten, dented, bike with a blown shock, gouged stanctions, etc.

That SGS looks like an AMAZING deal. He works at a shop, so I guess he gets deals, but it still seems like a really low price. If it checks out, that's well above what would be considered an 'entry-level', and would be an awesome race bike.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Shibby said:
You're right, I guess I'm just am not as trusting as you. I always think that with my luck, the guy would be lying through his teeth and I'd get a severly beaten, dented, bike with a blown shock, gouged stanctions, etc.

That SGS looks like an AMAZING deal. He works at a shop, so I guess he gets deals, but it still seems like a really low price. If it checks out, that's well above what would be considered an 'entry-level', and would be an awesome race bike.
If I had the money I'd buy it for a FR bike. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm about 5'3" 130#. I have a small Kona Stinky w/ upgrades that I bought used for about that price. It's my first dh bike and has served me well so far. I woluld recommend it. They're pretty cheap (comparatively) new too.

·
Registered
819 Posts
i am selling a SGS. it is completely unused (5 times in driveway) and in mint condition. i pmd VT mtbkr. i dont know how to post pics on mtbr, so if u email me at [email protected], i will send u pics.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
When you reply, scroll down to the additional options box. Once there, you'll see an option which says upload images. This will send you to your harddrive and you select where the image is stored. Simply select the image you want and then hit the upload button and away you go. The only problem I've ever had is when the resolution was too high which resulted in the file being bigger than allowed.
sreiman said:
maybe not... can someone tell me how to post pics?.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.