Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has any experience with the Big Betty UST for DH use?
Was thinking of running these on my new V10. I have ran them in the past (regular version) on my AM rig.

Wanted to see if anyone has hands on experience in a DH environment.
It's either these or the UST Minions.

If anyone can share some direct experience/comparison between the UST Minions (DHF) and the UST Big Betty in a DH environment, I'd really appreciate it.
- weight
- casing durability
- most importantly, grip, traction

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, I was waiting for his reply... :); he sounds as big of a fan of Schwalbe as I am... I've been running Schwalbes on XC and AM rigs for the past 3 years. Never on a DH bike.

I should mention, I'm in Calgary, so I ride mostly loose, rocky, steep Alberta terrain, plus whatever BC throws at us: smooth Silverstar, super rough Kicking Horse, Whistler.

To narrow it down loose,rocky, loose over hardpack.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,150 Posts
brillantesdv said:
enter bullcrew in 4...3...2...
LMAO! :cornut:

Hey I was in the neighborhood!

They are fine, great grip, fast rolling and the sidewalls are burly. Minions I havent run in UST form but I have run alot of DHF minions. Minions and Big Bettys are both up there. I prefer the BB but thats expected, I have rode them in Socal and in NASTY stuff and the BBs hook up real well, durable and predictable.

The Big Bettys are plenty tough, I have some sitting here and I have proceeded to beat on the whole Schwalbe DH line with great results and even better than expected handling and durability.

Its going to be weight at this point because they both work great and both have great rubber compositions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bullcrew said:
LMAO! :cornut:

Hey I was in the neighborhood!

They are fine, great grip, fast rolling and the sidewalls are burly. Minions I havent run in UST form but I have run alot of DHF minions. Minions and Big Bettys are both up there. I prefer the BB but thats expected, I have rode them in Socal and in NASTY stuff and the BBs hook up real well, durable and predictable.

The Big Bettys are plenty tough, I have some sitting here and I have proceeded to beat on the whole Schwalbe DH line with great results and even better than expected handling and durability.

Its going to be weight at this point because they both work great and both have great rubber compositions.
Thanks man!

That's exactly what I was expecting. I have a pair of UST DHF Minions and a pair of UST Big Betties sitting right here... wasn't sure the Big Betty would be tough enough. And I think it's faster rolling.

Seems like your conditions are similar to mine. Any problems with slashes, burps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,150 Posts
UST Big Bettys are in now, I have had mine for a bit now!
UST Muddy marys are in feb 24th! Im waiting for them as well, Im beating the non UST MMs in DH and FR version now and love em.

If you like the BBs now and want to go UST then do it, Im heavy and ride aggressive and Im not worried at all. I blow fr/single plys up all the time, Ive actually become sort of an expert at riding out of a landing with the back tire flopping! :D

I dont have any issues with the USTs they are heavy enough and designed right!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dood, if you are fine riding them like you do, then, I'll be more than fine... :D

I'll make sure I'll pick up some Muddy Marys too when they come out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,150 Posts
Ro.nin said:
Dood, if you are fine riding them like you do, then, I'll be more than fine... :D

I'll make sure I'll pick up some Muddy Marys too when they come out!
Yeah Im excited for the UST muddy marys.
Youll be fiine with the UST stuff, they did a great job on these.

Pics of the trails, us US'rs dig N. territory stuff! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bullcrew said:
Yeah Im excited for the UST muddy marys.
Youll be fiine with the UST stuff, they did a great job on these.

Pics of the trails, us US'rs dig N. territory stuff! :thumbsup:
One more Q. How is the Big Betty comparing with the Minion 2.5 for size/volume?
 

·
I heart the drops
Joined
·
1,105 Posts
have you had a problem with them burping at high speed turns or big hits and how are the sidewalls and beads on these tires?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,150 Posts
No burping, No folding and they have taken some hard hits on the sidewall to the extent the rim got chalked again pretty good. Too low of a pressure and Ill explode DH casings so PSI is relevant to whatever you roll rubber wise. I like a little softer than normal psi. I havent had any issues though and completely confident in them.


As far as size a BB ios a little bigger than the 2.5 minion, maxxis always runs small. I tend to stay with 2.35-2.4 schwalbe and the front on gnar stuff is 2.4-2.5 and it works perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
i ran my BB ust for about half a season at diablo freeride park (a lift-accessed bike park in nj), and i liked them. BB's are noticeably lighter (on paper and when riding), and the rubber compound is a lot more durable than the maxxis minion 3c and super tacky compounds. grip between the BB and minion dhf and dhr is comparable. the sidewalls aren't as burly as the minion offerings but i didn't run into any problems.
 

·
biking is fun
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
good thread,
i just bought some mavic 823's (thanks bullcrew) and thought it would be a good time to try tubeless out.
These BB's sound almost too good to be true. I ride single ply advantages all over the place and rarely pinch flat so if these are a little burlier then it should be perfect. the maxxis minion dh's seem too heavy. i guess you never have to worry about pinch flatting but at the same time a little less sidewall and i would still feel comfortable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,932 Posts
I see a lot of riders using them as fronts but anyone use them for rears? Do they hook up? I was thinking Muddy Mary for a rear and BB for front (UST of course for the added sidewall thickness).

Cheers,

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,150 Posts
Gman086 said:
I see a lot of riders using them as fronts but anyone use them for rears? Do they hook up? I was thinking Muddy Mary for a rear and BB for front (UST of course for the added sidewall thickness).

Cheers,

G
Spike style in front to grb and low rolling resistance in rear with braking ability ='s BB rear MM front. They work well BB front/rear and Muddy Marys front/rear as well. I ride half the time MMs front rear, then BBs front rear then mix it BB rear MM front and they are all winning combinations so far... I wouldnt run a spike rear and a low rolling front, kinfd of defeats the purpose, grip in front for digging and laying the bike in and a good pedal/corner/braking tire for the rear. Front is grip/corner and occasional braking.

Big betty front/ Muddy mary rear - Not a good combo in my opinion!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,932 Posts
bullcrew said:
Spike style in front to grb and low rolling resistance in rear with braking ability ='s BB rear MM front. They work well BB front/rear and Muddy Marys front/rear as well. I ride half the time MMs front rear, then BBs front rear then mix it BB rear MM front and they are all winning combinations so far... I wouldnt run a spike rear and a low rolling front, kinfd of defeats the purpose, grip in front for digging and laying the bike in and a good pedal/corner/braking tire for the rear. Front is grip/corner and occasional braking.

Big betty front/ Muddy mary rear - Not a good combo in my opinion!
Kewl, thanks for the info BC! So for fast flowing FR with a lot of woodwork, like we have at Post Canyon, I'd be better off with a BB for both F/R if I follow what you're saying (tho the MM would sure be nice during the winter months?)?

Cheers,

G
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,150 Posts
Gman086 said:
Kewl, thanks for the info BC! So for fast flowing FR with a lot of woodwork, like we have at Post Canyon, I'd be better off with a BB for both F/R if I follow what you're saying (tho the MM would sure be nice during the winter months?)?

Cheers,

G
Definently! :thumbsup:

Thats without ? exactly what Id run! BB front/rear they work great in rocks, loose over hard, roots and wet wood as well. So yeah thats the set up right there! PICS!!!! Im a pic whore I love seeing different areas of riding! Wether its an action pic or just a great line in or stunts!

If its winter and wet with loam/mud or other packiing type terrain Id run Muddy marys (winter months) triple rear and a guey gluey front. Like any soft compound keep road riding to a minimum, on front it will last a long time and with the rear having soft compound sides it will hook up and prevent rear sliding on roots and stuff.
NOW: If winter is wet and cold drizzley no real loam or mud then Id rock the BBs year round with a guey gluey front in winter and a triple in rear.

You can run the BBs but they wont shed or grip in like a muddy mary does in the bad conditions, no loose over hard tire will! But in the summer months it will kill it. If I had that kind of terrain and did alot of wood structures and rocks (wet sometimes) Big Bettys all the way!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
..ouch
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
I ride the tubed "triple compound" BBs on my "trail" wheelset for my Uzzi both f/r and I love them. They have taken some monster abuse (scree slopes, rock gardens, jumps/drops) without issue. It's a little slower rolling as a rear tire, but it hooks up great.

I typically run heavy tubeless dual-ply's on my pure DH wheels, but the BBs have seen a few days of riding at SolVista without issue.

climbingbubba - the Advantage's don't even hold a candle to the BBs. I shredded both the f/r sidewalls on a new set of Advantages during one ride that the BBs handle regularly without issue. I found the BBs corner a ton better in the loose conditions as well.
 

·
biking is fun
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
thump said:
climbingbubba - the Advantage's don't even hold a candle to the BBs. I shredded both the f/r sidewalls on a new set of Advantages during one ride that the BBs handle regularly without issue. I found the BBs corner a ton better in the loose conditions as well.
thanks man, i can not put down the advantages. i have trashed mine for 1.5 seasons on the same ones and they have held up awesome. I wouldn't put them on my DH bike though. they are on my intense SS which is used for AM/FR.

I would love to try the UST BB's. I take it from you guys that they would hold up pretty good with no blowouts even with fast nasty rock gardens and a summer of DH abuse and hucks and jumps.
does this sound right?

the whole 950+ grams makes me a little nervous but it would also be good cause it would lighten my bike a ton. but i would rather have more weight and durability if the BB's would have any issues.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top