Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a fan for years of Maxxis tires and I thought I had the perfect combo with the Mobster 2.35 up front and a 2.1 in the back. This is a very good combination, but I've stumbled on to another that works even better.
While we were in AZ, I went to a LBS there called, Mountain Bike Heaven and the owner was there working on bikes, my frien Gabe asked him his preference on tires and the guy was hesitant to tell us. He did say we had some good stuff already on our bikes at the time ( I had a Blue Groove and a Maxxis Larsen TT and Gabe had Weirwolfs). Finally the guy says,"you know what the best front tire there is for around here ?" And he told us about the Big Betty. This is the guy that took first place at Sea Otter in the expert class (super fast).
Gabe went ahead and got one and then I started to look at it. The weight difference between the Mobster and the BB is that the BB is 440 grams lighter and the knobs were bigger and the tire has a bigger foot print.
Immediately riding back to our motel room I could feel the difference in weight. Out on the trail I was a little sceptible. I've been misled by more then one bike store. Not the case here though. This tire hooked up and rolled even better then I could of hoped for. I railed into some turns probably the hardest I've ever entered and was pleasently suprized as I flew through with no traction loss. We rode for 4 solid days and the tire only broke lose once as I was seeing how far I could take it. I do have it set up with Stans and I've been running the pressure between 30 to 35 and you'll be hard pressed to find a better gripping tire.
One downside though is the price. I paid 75 bucks for it and I've checked on a couple other sites and that's pretty close to the going price. I almost ate it bad yesterday going downhill at 30 mph plus and I fell off the edge of a rut down into it and lost control. The tire regripped immediately and saved my butt from a trip to the ER, so I figure it was money well spent.

·
Registered
171 Posts
These Bettys are awesome indeed! Here in Europe they're really popular among the fr crowd - fortuately they're much cheaper here than in the us (heck, but on the other hand we have to pay quite some more $$$ for the holy US frames!) Anyway, the ratio between traction and weight is insane with the Bettys => grab em!

·
Basura Blanca
1,796 Posts
Maybe the price has gone up, but I got mine for significantly less than that thru MtnHighCyclery.com. Lame website, but useful to get the number and call Larry directly. Still not cheap, but not $75.
- Joe

·
Registered
969 Posts
...such an "inferior tire" ...

NuMexJoe said:
Maybe the price has gone up, but I got mine for significantly less than that thru MtnHighCyclery.com. Lame website, but useful to get the number and call Larry directly. Still not cheap, but not $75.
- Joe
That's SO funny - I went to the VERY SAME bike shop that the original poster purchased his at over a year ago and asked them to order me the Big Betty. They did everything they could to talk me out of it because it was such an "inferior tire" in the one guys mind! I insisted that yes, I indeed wanted it, but they just never botherd to order it... or DID they, and it ended up on an employees bike!?! I would not be surprised in the least bit! Par for the course...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Which compound are you guys using--the regular orc or the 'gooey-gluey'--I've been using the schwalbe Alberts for a year and love 'em-0I use the soft-sticky front only on the front--necessary with the big betty??

·
Registered
969 Posts
Gooey Gluey

SuperbMan said:
Which compound are you guys using--the regular orc or the 'gooey-gluey'--I've been using the schwalbe Alberts for a year and love 'em-0I use the soft-sticky front only on the front--necessary with the big betty??
I'm running them tubless on UST rims. In a nut shell, even the Gooey Gluey compound is not that sticky - I could not imagine using the ORC in the dry rocky conditions around here. Even the GG tire is bouncy, perhaps because it is so "balooned out"? I usually run my tires @ 24 and 26 psi. These I'm running @ 18 and 22...!

Granted, I am used to the extremely soft Maxxis 40a Slow Rezzey 2.7 up front and Kenda Stick-E 55 rear.

After only one long ride, in quite varried "deserty" terrain, I can say that I do really like them! On high speed loose stuff they do not feel as "planted" as the 2.7 Mobster / 2.5 Nevegal combo, but they are more predictable and controllable once a slide begins, where as the Mobster would just break away suddenly. I quickly adapted my "riding style" to incorporate slight controlled drifts on high spped loose turns. Fun! Not a good thing in erosion prone areas of course...

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
I'm running them tubless on UST rims. In a nut shell, even the Gooey Gluey compound is not that sticky - I could not imagine using the ORC in the dry rocky conditions around here. Even the GG tire is bouncy, perhaps because it is so "balooned out"? I usually run my tires @ 24 and 26 psi. These I'm running @ 18 and 22...!

Granted, I am used to the extremely soft Maxxis 40a Slow Rezzey 2.7 up front and Kenda Stick-E 55 rear.

After only one long ride, in quite varried "deserty" terrain, I can say that I do really like them! On high speed loose stuff they do not feel as "planted" as the 2.7 Mobster / 2.5 Nevegal combo, but they are more predictable and controllable once a slide begins, where as the Mobster would just break away suddenly. I quickly adapted my "riding style" to incorporate slight controlled drifts on high spped loose turns. Fun! Not a good thing in erosion prone areas of course...
I agree, the GG compound still rolls surprisingly fast (much faster than I expected) and is what I prefer (dry and rocky here also).

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts