Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Death By Snoo Snoo
Joined
·
321 Posts
I just signed it, maybe we should post this on the downhill forum... i am sure people outside of california would not mind supporting keeping a resort open to downhillers.
 

·
Are you gonna eat that?
Joined
·
500 Posts
munkyspank said:
I just signed it, maybe we should post this on the downhill forum... i am sure people outside of california would not mind supporting keeping a resort open to downhillers.
I'm surprised they're banning it, anyone have any links to articles explaining why ?

Downhill mountain biking seems like the best possible use of a ski run in the off season to me, especially if people are paying for bike rental and the shuttle up the top of the mountain, not like these freeloading hikers who walk everywhere :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,679 Posts
I guess they cant get over the liability issue..

matthew said:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/downhill/petition.html

It probably wont change anything but stand up and be heard anyway.
Money talks so feel free to mention how much money you spent in the Big Bear area (use comments area)
Spread the word, it can't hurt.
DH put summit on the map. it created revenue, and jobs that the city of Big Bear could never draw just from skiers. Some how i see TBB being hung out to dry on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
here is some info

http://www.bikebiz.co.uk/daily-news/article.php?id=5027
http://dirtragmag.com/web/news-article.php?ID=353


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KevinG
From VeloNews.com:

Big Bear: Rider dies during downhill practice


By VeloNews Interactive

This report filed May 17, 2003


Tragedy struck Big Bear Lake on Saturday when Japanese downhiller Haruko Fujinaka was killed in a crash while practicing on the Snow Summit Resort course.

According to Big Bear fire department captain Richard Flint, the 33-year-old Fujinaka lost control of her bike after hitting one of the many jumps on the course and crashed hard. When Flint arrived at the scene Fujinaka was unconscious and not responsive to any stimuli.

The Associated Press reported that Fujinaka was then taken to a local hospital before being flown by helicopter to Loma Linda University Medical Center in Riverside County. The Kyoto native was pronounced dead at 11:51 a.m.

Deputy coroner Jim Sedgwick said Fujinaka died from multiple injuries, but official cause of death would not be known until an autopsy was performed later in the week.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------






Kyoseki said:
I'm surprised they're banning it, anyone have any links to articles explaining why ?

Downhill mountain biking seems like the best possible use of a ski run in the off season to me, especially if people are paying for bike rental and the shuttle up the top of the mountain, not like these freeloading hikers who walk everywhere :)
 

·
Are you gonna eat that?
Joined
·
500 Posts
Ah, ambulance chasing, had to be, bummer.

That's a real shame, can't really hold TBB liable for it though, they're doing what they have to.

I wonder how many injured skiers file lawsuits against the place each year ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
jrm said:
DH put summit on the map. it created revenue, and jobs that the city of Big Bear could never draw just from skiers. Some how i see TBB being hung out to dry on this one.
Mountainbiking at Snow Summit certainly was the straw that broke the camel of inactivity's back and pushed Big Bear over the hump to full, year-round economic vitality. Before they opened it up to XC riding, the town practically shut down all summer. Once the XC crowds started coming in hoards to rent cabins, buy dinner, stalk around Pine Knot Blvd looking for anything to do... businesses perceived enough activity, combined with Old Miners' Days, 4th of July, Oktoberfest and various motorcycle rallies, that it made sense to stay open...and the whole town just took off. "DH" didn't even exist yet, in that Tomac raced "DH" on an XC bike with drop bars...

Now, in later years, I bet that "DH" riders were the vast majority of Snow Summit's summer business. But NORBA, SoCal riders and the money were all there way beforehand.

It will be an interesting summer in Big Bear. I wonder how quiet Summit will be.
 

·
That's gonna leave a mark
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Well EB...

EBasil said:
Mountainbiking at Snow Summit certainly was the straw that broke the camel of inactivity's back and pushed Big Bear over the hump to full, year-round economic vitality. Before they opened it up to XC riding, the town practically shut down all summer. Once the XC crowds started coming in hoards to rent cabins, buy dinner, stalk around Pine Knot Blvd looking for anything to do... businesses perceived enough activity, combined with Old Miners' Days, 4th of July, Oktoberfest and various motorcycle rallies, that it made sense to stay open...and the whole town just took off. "DH" didn't even exist yet, in that Tomac raced "DH" on an XC bike with drop bars...

Now, in later years, I bet that "DH" riders were the vast majority of Snow Summit's summer business. But NORBA, SoCal riders and the money were all there way beforehand.

It will be an interesting summer in Big Bear. I wonder how quiet Summit will be.
Before you can comment on DH-related activities, you have to own a full suspension bike with more than 4" of travel. Otherwise, counselor, just keep your eyes on the paved road so you don't become a hood ornament for a Volvo...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
Upchuck said:
Before you can comment on DH-related activities, you have to own a full suspension bike with more than 4" of travel. Otherwise, counselor, just keep your eyes on the paved road so you don't become a hood ornament for a Volvo...
Haha!! Good to see you online, bud!

Wait a second...my XC bike is a 5x5... mass-produced, but travelicious. :)
 

·
That's gonna leave a mark
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
5x5?!

EBasil said:
Haha!! Good to see you online, bud!

Wait a second...my XC bike is a 5x5... mass-produced, but travelicious. :)
I heard rumors but figured they couldn't possibly be true. Lemme guess, a Blur?

So did you retire the Manitou HT? Or is that your 1x1? Let me know when you'll be up here and we'll ride. I'll do the same.

(I still won't return to socalmtb-gestapowhineyfrigginmoderators.com)
 

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
rumor has it

Upchuck said:
I heard rumors but figured they couldn't possibly be true. Lemme guess, a Blur?

So did you retire the Manitou HT? Or is that your 1x1? Let me know when you'll be up here and we'll ride. I'll do the same.

(I still won't return to socalmtb-gestapowhineyfrigginmoderators.com)
that his squishy is a Cake but there have been relatively few sightings of him on the trail so nothing can be confirmed yet..........

YR
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
XC bikes still OK? If so how are they going to determine

an XC bike from a DH bike, it's a fine line these days.
I suppose that they could shut down the lifts and say if you can ride it up, you can ride it down, that's a scary thought, freeriders with lungs.

Good thing Sonny Bono or anyone else didn't eat it and die at Big Bear, otherwise they would have to ban skiing there also.

Good luck DHers, I am sure the local shop & business owners are also pulling for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,127 Posts
rumore come from somewhere...

Yeti_Rider said:
that his squishy is a Cake but there have been relatively few sightings of him on the trail so nothing can be confirmed yet..........

YR
Cruel, but true. This year marks the least riding I've done since the year our son was born. Between rain, trail-access wars/maintenance and pneumonia, I've been out only a handful of times, half on the Cake and half on the ss Manitou HT. I fit in with the horsemen better, thanks to my new physique... :rolleyes:
 

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
man, tell me about it

EBasil said:
Cruel, but true. This year marks the least riding I've done since the year our son was born. Between rain, trail-access wars/maintenance and pneumonia, I've been out only a handful of times, half on the Cake and half on the ss Manitou HT. I fit in with the horsemen better, thanks to my new physique... :rolleyes:
this winter has been awful! I don't remember Powerline hurting nearly as bad 6 months ago as it did two weeks ago! I think the rain made the hills steeper.............that's my story anyway.

YR
 

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
Joined
·
4,659 Posts
Chairlift still operating, AFIK

Article in the new Decline talked about these points... I am sure this info is also somewhere out there on the web? It may be outdated but this is what I read:

The main Sky Chair will be carrying bikes in 2005 and instituting some sort of weight limit of approximately 35 pounds. You can still ride a pretty buff bike at 35 pounds, but it rules out really big machines.

But my impression is that if the injuries hadn't happened, the Forest Service would have pressured them to shut down because of all the illegal trails. That seems to have been forgotten or overlooked in all of this, that place was getting destroyed by dudes cutting their own tracks.

JMH

Bike Nazi said:
an XC bike from a DH bike, it's a fine line these days.
I suppose that they could shut down the lifts and say if you can ride it up, you can ride it down, that's a scary thought, freeriders with lungs.

Good thing Sonny Bono or anyone else didn't eat it and die at Big Bear, otherwise they would have to ban skiing there also.

Good luck DHers, I am sure the local shop & business owners are also pulling for you.
 

·
If you have to ask...
Joined
·
717 Posts
As was just pointed out

Snow Summit was going to shut down to DH anyhow, lawsuit or not. The Forest Service, who owns the land and licenses it to Snow Summit, had told them that the illegal DH runs being built by riders had to stop, or they'd pull the plug. Snow Summit made some effort to curtail these activities, to no avail. Hence, plug-pulling by the Forest Service.

The lawsuit was merely icing on the cake.

miles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
miles said:
Snow Summit was going to shut down to DH anyhow, lawsuit or not. The Forest Service, who owns the land and licenses it to Snow Summit, had told them that the illegal DH runs being built by riders had to stop, or they'd pull the plug. Snow Summit made some effort to curtail these activities, to no avail. Hence, plug-pulling by the Forest Service.

The lawsuit was merely icing on the cake.

miles
I just called them and heard the same thing. The lady I spoke to said its more the illegal trails that are to blame then the lawsuits. When she said lawsuits, I questioned her because from what I read it was only that gal. She informed me that before her, there was a couple other guys that are suing also.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top