Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Big Bear MTB Gran Fondo - worth it?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JackieTreehorn8 
#1 ·
Hey all, I was going to try the big Bear Gran Fondo this year (probably 50k route). Love riding that area and it seemed like a good, legit, fun event.

Has anyone done this event? How was it? Was it worth it?

#3 ·
I've done the 100k twice, in full race mode.

I assume the 50k course would be everything on the mountain without dropping down into Angelus Oaks, which would be a lot of good trails. I don't have any complaints about the course or support. I would do it again in the future, maybe, but not planning on doing it this year.

#4 ·
I've done the 100k twice, in full race mode.

I assume the 50k course would be everything on the mountain without dropping down into Angelus Oaks, which would be a lot of good trails. I don't have any complaints about the course or support. I would do it again in the future, maybe, but not planning on doing it this year.
Thanks for the feedback! My issue from a value perspective is that I can ride those trails any time...for free. On the other hand, events are fun to have something to train for, fun to see other riders, and fun having support on the trail...Sounds like it's worth doing if one hasn't done it.

#6 ·
Assuming Grizzly 100 happens, any advice for tire choice for a steel hardtail, casual fondo-er? My current options (all 29er F/R)
XR4 2.4/ XR4 2.4 both highly worn (current)
BoosterPro TR 2.6/ BoosterPro TR 2.6
Forecaster 2.6/ Forekaster 2.35 or 2.6
Or other combos of these

I’m a fan of the XR4s, especially climbing out of saddle, they seem to be just enough grip for loose climbs. Possibly will just run the worn ones. But Im curious about higher volume or XC rolling… 2.6 specifically for a long day on hardtail. Also, XR4 seem sold out everywhere.

#7 ·
Assuming Grizzly 100 happens, any advice for tire choice for a steel hardtail, casual fondo-er? My current options (all 29er F/R)
XR4 2.4/ XR4 2.4 both highly worn (current)
BoosterPro TR 2.6/ BoosterPro TR 2.6
Forecaster 2.6/ Forekaster 2.35 or 2.6
Or other combos of these

I'm a fan of the XR4s, especially climbing out of saddle, they seem to be just enough grip for loose climbs. Possibly will just run the worn ones. But Im curious about higher volume or XC rolling… 2.6 specifically for a long day on hardtail. Also, XR4 seem sold out everywhere.
I personally think the XR4s are going to be a bit heavy, depending on what route you are doing. IIRC, they are 900+ grams. Both the other options are 750-850 grams.

The trails up there are certainly loose this time of year, so I'm planning an aggressive XC tire in the 750 gram range (Ardent Race, Spesh Ground Control, etc.) I'm running 2.4"s on an Epic Evo, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.