Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from Ohio in about two weeks and wondered what the trail conditions would be like there. We got 10 inches of snow over weekend and I wanted to find out if it impacted you guys down there and would Big Bear be effected. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was at the race this weekend. Got about 4 inches of snow or so, and a good bit of sleet and rain. Trails were muddy and slick, but the whole course was ridable basicly, it was just covered in snow. Big Bear seems to stay pretty ridable during rain and bad weather, so you shouldn't have any worries.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Was at the race as well, a little different than the race at Mountwood last week wasn't it?

I figure that once the snow melts the trails will be in pretty good shape since they seemed like they were mostly rock. In two weeks the trails should be in excellent condition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh yeah, Mountwood was perfect. I got a flat rear tire about 3 miles into the race at Big Bear, and Mr. Prepared over here brought nothing to change it with. So rather than admit defeat and accept a ride back and DNF, I punished myself for my stupidity by finishing the last 6 miles or so on rim. Surprisingly only put one good sized dent in it, and didn't knock it out of true any at all really. Luck was in my corner on that one i guess.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Maybe you fellas could help me--I was reading this post and I was wondering about what kind of tire (racing) to run at Big Bear... I'm entered in the 24 Hrs. of Big Bear in mid-June, and I'm not sure what tires would be best. Figured some fellas in here should know that region pretty well... Thanks!

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
Wish I could help but that was the first time I have ridden there. However for pretty much all of WV I run a Continental Escape Pro in the rear and an Continental Explorer up front. I use Stan's with them. I generally run them around 37 - 42 psi in the rear and 35 - 39 psi in the front.

Mr Ridiculous what class do you ride in WVMBA? Also how did you finish at the races? I race the Sport 18 - 34 class. I finished 6th at Pipestem, 11th at Mountwood and 9th at Big Bear. Might not seem that impressive to most but I am extremely happy with my finishes so far, last year I was just struggling to finish the races I entered.

·
the unvarnished nonsense
1,832 Posts
LowCel said:
However for pretty much all of WV I run a Continental Escape Pro in the rear and an Continental Explorer up front. I use Stan's with them. I generally run them around 37 - 42 psi in the rear and 35 - 39 psi in the front.
He's lying. Generally, he's running around trying to find someone with a spare tube.

Sorry Low, I just couldn't resist that one. :D

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
davis said:
He's lying. Generally, he's running around trying to find someone with a spare tube.

Sorry Low, I just couldn't resist that one. :D
I flat once in two years and no one ever lets me live it down. :rolleyes: So what if that one time I happened to flat four times in about 200 yards. :D BTW, I still take full responsibility for that one, if I had paid attention and realized that my stans had all dried up and just added a little I would have been fine.

I am planning on bringing a few extra tubes to the shuffle just in case though. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.