Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Big Bear 2014

16K views 154 replies 42 participants last post by  aperral 
#1 ·
Park opens up on Friday 4/18.

I heard season passes are $279, anyone know if the daily rate has increased this season? Assuming the park closes in October we'll have a solid 6 months of riding so it may be worth it to get a pass. Any locals know if all the trails will be open the first weekend?

Bike Park - Kick Off Party 4/19

ATTN mountain bikers: your prayers have been answered. We will be opening the mountain bike park on 4/18 the Friday before Easter weekend and will continue to keep it open on Friday, Saturday and Sundays. This will be the earliest opening for mountain bike parks in North America! Join us on Saturday April 19th for our first annul Kick-Off Party. We will have the Red Bull MXT here with DJ Slip Matt playing in the plaza. Check out bike vendors and win prizes throughout the day. Come up and celebrate with us.

#5 ·
No new trails there from last year. There is an article that talked about the red tape with the forest service. It caused them to step back to get it cleared up. They are hopeful to add beginner's trial this year and that is about it for the ski area.

Snow Summit Bike Park, Moving Forward, whats new for 2014

Don't let that get you down as there are a number of great trails that can be accessed outside the ski area.

#15 ·
I think SS rentals should fit the bill, they use Trek's, the other 2 shops that rent bikes, Bear Valley Bikes have Specialized and KHS, Chains Required also has Trek ands Giant.

For those not relying on the lifts,or use the lifts and are interested in XC, light trail, there are plenty of trails to be found on both sides of the lake.

#20 ·
If you've ridden or hiked to Grays Peak, then you were on the Grout Bay trail to get to the trailhead. Grout Bay Trail starts/ finishes at the Hanna Flats campground space #51, and ends/ starts at the Grout Bay day use area. It is mostly fire roads with some hidden, secret single track, the Perfect Cycling Trail is also another option, although you may not want to ride it, especially on weekends.

#21 ·
What's the park like for XC? What I can ride back and forth via their lifts.

Looks like one XC/Intermediate trail and can't tell how long it is (miles). West Ridge. Looks like you have to ride advanced on Cruiser for a bit to hit it. from vids looks like everyones wearing full face helmets so might be a little too advanced for the crew I plan to take.

Might have to wait for Mammoth?

#22 ·
If your of a XC rider, I would even bother riding the bike park. There are tons of XC trails around Snow Summit, trails like Skyline, Trick or Treat, Powerline, Pineknot trail and Cabin 89 and Grout Bay trail and Grays Peak on the Northshore near Fawnskin are all awesome trails worth coming up to ride.
I've ridden the bike park, there are some great trails there, just not totally XC bike friendly.

#24 ·
Agree with Jeff, although I have spent all weekend riding the lifts and riding the XC trails as well....some more all mountain....I'll be up there a ton this summer for the bike festival and GGR trips, so looking forward to riding more of the trails in town that I don't know. The trails in Fawnskin are awesome but short, so you have to connect them

#27 ·
No matter what bike your riding, it comes down to riding preferences. I've ridden my 4" travel XC bike in the park, as well as my 6" am bike, the bigger travel bike was way more fun, but all the trails outside the park, my XC bike excels.
As GGR Girl states, shuttling up on the lift and riding the trails outside the park is a great option also.
One of my favorite rides is, starting from my house on the east end Northshore area, I ride up Fern trail to 2n10, to Skyline to Secret trail( to become the extension of Skyline) to Cabin 89 to Millcreek, then take the hwy over the dam to the Grout Bay trail, to Rim of the World 2n14, to Delamar man 2n16, to Perfect Cycling Trail, to Van Dusen Cyn, then 1 mile back home. Turns out to be about 45 miles with more than half of that on sweet single track. Thinking of doing this ride this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.