Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading the slick Shimano eBike mag-advertisement supplement (Further)included with my last FreeHub or Mountain Flyer issue, I got all excited to go tackle some big mountain routes with massive elevation on my(wife's) eBike this past weekend.

All I can say is, I'll be doing more of this. Not only can you cover so much more ground and elevation but get to places and climb grades that would not be practical on an analog bike. At least not for humans and certainly not before noon.

I was able to do 33 miles and 7200' of climbing on a big over the top and back mountain ride one day in about 4 hours but was still feeling fresh enough to do a 25 mile 4500' foot up and back into some pretty remote, steep, untrammeled mountains the next morning in less than 3 1/2 hrs. And if you're keeping track and what's better yet, that's almost 12000' of descending in two morning rides without a lift or a shuttle.

Home by noon both days. Still fresh enough to do yard work one day and shampoo our carpet the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
13,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
They are remote and untrammeled precisely because they are hard to get to.

Not anymore, I guess.
Believe me, if I don't ride these trails at least once or twice a year, they will disappear off the face of the mountain. No one else goes, much less rides up here. In fact I'm already having a hard time following one of them and got lost. It was supposed to be a loop, but ended up being an out and back because I couldn't find the through trail along the ridge anymore. Also much of the access to these trails that would be impractical or at least unfun on an analog bike is on steep dirt roads and jeep roads that get used.... just not by bikes.

·
Young, Shawn Young
3,166 Posts
After reading the slick Shimano eBike mag-advertisement supplement (Further)included with my last FreeHub or Mountain Flyer issue, I got all excited to go tackle some big mountain routes with massive elevation on my(wife's) eBike this past weekend.

All I can say is, I'll be doing more of this. Not only can you cover so much more ground and elevation but get to places and climb grades that would not be practical on an analog bike. At least not for humans and certainly not before noon.

I was able to do 33 miles and 7200' of climbing on a big over the top and back mountain ride one day in about 4 hours but was still feeling fresh enough to do a 25 mile 4500' foot up and back into some pretty remote, steep, untrammeled mountains the next morning in less than 3 1/2 hrs. And if you're keeping track and what's better yet, that's almost 12000' of descending in two morning rides without a lift or a shuttle.

Home by noon both days. Still fresh enough to do yard work one day and shampoo our carpet the next.

That is too cool man! I really am starting to look at E bikes as an alternative to my riipmo. What is your wifes bike anyways? If I had an Ebike I might actually come up there annd ride again)

·
Registered
13,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That is too cool man! I really am starting to look at E bikes as an alternative to my riipmo. What is your wifes bike anyways? If I had an Ebike I might actually come up there annd ride again)
Right? They're the great equalizer.

We share a 2021 Turbo Levo Comp. We also tested the Santa Cruz Heckler, Orbea Wild, and Rocky Mountain Power Play.

·
This place needs an enema
17,702 Posts
Neat that you're seeing some familiar places in a new way.

A thought that has been ballooning in my head of late is that we -- as both a generalized species and as a particular culture -- aren't good at patience. Shocker. There's not a huge evolutionary benefit to it so it makes some sense why it has worked out that way.

I can see the benefit of coming home not wrecked after covering a lot of ground.

I can see a benefit in being able to close loops that would otherwise get turned into out-and-backs, or require (more) driving.

I get stuck because I'm no longer driven by covering a lot of ground. I want what I experience when out to be of quality: I want to engage with the place, learn something about it, be in awe of some aspect of it. You don't have to go far to do any of that. In fact going slow and paying attention to where you are is all that is needed.

Going further just for the sake of it doesn't do it. Seems actually to work against my desires.

So -- thanks. Your post finally caused me to do a legitimate cost/benefit analysis and you just saved me a pile of cash!

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
I'd also add there is value in getting wrecked from that big ride.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
Yep. That's why it's called a "sport". Otherwise we'd all be deer hunting with night vision and machine guns, fishing with dynamite, and mountain biking with motors.
Mountain biking is not called a "sport". It only becomes a "sport" to certain individuals once you introduce competition between other individuals or teams into it. Otherwise, it's a hobby.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
18,132 Posts
Here we go.

Don’t want an ebike? Then don’t get one.

Meanwhile… hear me out. Please.

Ebiking is a sport. So is mountain biking. But they're different sports. Bow hunting is a sport. Whitewater paddling is a sport. 4-wheeling is a sport. Hang gliding is a sport.

Ad infinitum. Pick you poison.

Which sports shall we condemn? Which ones shall we praise? Well it's obvious, isn't it? Let's condemn the sports we don't engage in and praise the ones we do.

It's all about us.

We can all (ALL) cite examples to prolong the debate about whether ebiking (or anything else) is legit or should be nuked. We're not going to get anywhere by continuing to do this.

I've cried at the edge of a sensitive meadow slashed to destruction by some drunken bubba doing donuts in his jacked up 4-wheeler. Shall we outlaw all 4-wheeling?

30 years ago hikers said that mountain bikers ("thrill bikers") shouldn't be allowed on trails. Too much impact. Too much erosion. Too much destruction. Too many people in the backcountry.

Maybe they were right. Those of us who've been engaged in off-road bicycling since the '80s have perspective on this. Yeah folks, us mountain bikers are pretty much out of control.

You know it's true.

Heck I know of someone who recently moved from a mountain biking mecca to a remote forested sanctuary to escape the yokel mountain bikers who'd taken over what used to be a great place to ride.

Meanwhile here we are, us mountain bikers -- the ones who not so long ago fought the hard fight to gain access -- pointing our fingers at the next emerging sport.

A sport trying to gain access... just like we did not so long ago.

Yeah, ebiking and mountain biking are different sports. And there's the rub. They look so similar. People love to say, "That's an ebike! Not a mountain bike!"

Right. It is. Big deal.

It doesn't help that the bike companies, who just want to sell product, do their best to blur the lines. Don't be fooled. We know the difference. Do we really need the hate?

Meanwhile the new-to-the-sport ebikers think they're mountain bikers, which they are not. This doesn't help either.

Can't the rest of us take a higher road?

Don't want an off-road 4x4 truck? Then don't get one. Same with ebikes. But please, live and let live. Let's stop shaking our fingers at people who do anything different than us simply because we've convinced ourselves that what WE do is right and what THEY do is wrong.

Us vs them thinking is destroying this country. Let's not let it destroy our sport. Er, sports.
=sParty

·
WTF is downcountry?
894 Posts
I wouldn't say riding an emtb is a diff sport, I mean suspension, disc brakes and dropper posts make riding easier but riding a modern MB isn't a diff sport than riding a MB from 30 years ago.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,057 Posts
Hmm. Rode XC in Whistler last week, about 6,500' vertical over 25 miles, then did a "small" 2700 vert ride in Squamish the next day on the way back down south, where I rode 5,500 vert the next day after Squamish. But by that time, the vert was getting to me, I rode 2.700 the next day, but was too tired to ride Predator, which I really wanted to ride, so at that point I could have used some help. All self powered, but this summer it became apparent to me that if I lived in Texas, I'd have an E-bike. I was riding there in the summer and for each of my rides in the worst temps I could only ride for about an hour max before I was just done. I'm sure an e-bike would have extended that significantly and gave me a more fulfilling ride.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.