Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting back into cycling and bought a rigid 26" MTB for commuting and leisure on road, tow path and some easy off road. Having a ball! Doing about 40-50 miles a week, mainly on tow paths and loving it.... The only upgrades I've done to my bike are new saddle (Gusset R - essentially a charge spoon/madison flux but seamless) and changing the tires to Big Apple 2.15's. Both these made a massive difference to my quality of ride. My question is this... I went for the 2.15's because I wasn't sure about clearance and fender sizing. The tow paths and roads around here are super rough but when you get the Apples in their sweet spot they just eat them up. However, a little voice at the back of my mind wonders if I should have gone for the 2.35's. It's obvious to me now that they would fit on my frame etc and the benefits were so large I just wonder if I should have gone the whole the hog and got the fattest ones?

So I've done a load of googling and I can't find anyone online who discusses the real world differences riding on these 2 sizes? I'm running them at the softer end (just less than 2 bar... I'm about 70kg and bike is about 13kg). Anyone have any opinions or advice?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cheers Yang! My 26" 2.15's are a faction under... closer to 2.1" in width. I'm actually more interested in trying to find out if there are any differences in ride between 2.15 and 2.35? Does the larger size make a perceivable difference in comfort or speed? There's so much written about these tires but I couldn't find any info on this!

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
Cheers Yang! My 26" 2.15's are a faction under... closer to 2.1" in width. I'm actually more interested in trying to find out if there are any differences in ride between 2.15 and 2.35? Does the larger size make a perceivable difference in comfort or speed? There's so much written about these tires but I couldn't find any info on this!
I noticed a difference when getting 5-6mm wider tires of "similar construction", but I also used a 4mm wider rim.

Right now I'm running 2.1s on a 28mm rim and I think it both looks better and feels more stable, more solid sideways kinda. The 24mm rims I had before are good up to 47mm tires or there about, more than that I feel is mismatched.

For 2.35s I would get a 32mm rim or so imho.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
Rim width matters.
I have a set of the 29 x 2.35's mounted on a set of 27mm external rims. Use them when the trails are too muddy, and I'm stuck on gravel roads, and paved bike trails. Set at 28/32 PSI, was amazed at how quickly they roll, and suuck up rough spots. (rigid SS)
If you've got the clearance, and a 24+ mm rim, I think you'd be impressed by the 2.35's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts