Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ain't right...

==========================
Bicyclist in critical condition after being shot in the head

Jaxon Van Derbeken, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, February 1, 2007

(02-01) 12:25 PST -- A 35-year-old woman was listed in critical condition today after being shot in the head, apparently while riding her bicycle in Ingleside Heights, authorities said.

The woman was found on the sidewalk near Randolph and Head streets shortly before 6 a.m. Wednesday, after witnesses reported what appeared to be an accident involving a bicycle.

She was found beside the bicycle, bleeding from a head wound. Doctors at San Francisco General Hospital discovered she had suffered a gunshot wound to the back the head.

"She's in critical condition at San Francisco General -- we were able to get her identity, but not much else,'' Lt. Leroy Lindo said.

He said the woman has not regained consciousness since she was admitted to the hospital.

"Nobody has come forward, nobody has called,'' Lindo said. "We are trying to piece together what happened in this tragic situation.''

E-mail Jaxon Van Derbeken at [email protected].
====================================

·
Registered
225 Posts
ok, ill play devils advocate here.... the woman in question could be a crack addict on a stolen huffy, the story doesnt give much info, and its presumtuous to say that anyone on a bike is a cyclist, could just mean too many dui's...

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
FatTire said:
ok, ill play devils advocate here.... the woman in question could be a crack addict on a stolen huffy, the story doesnt give much info, and its presumtuous to say that anyone on a bike is a cyclist, could just mean too many dui's...
But still..I don't wish anybody a shot in the head...

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
FatTire said:
Yeah! THATS THE SPIRIT!

Tough break for crack lady. Jesus, WTF. :confused:

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Shakes head WTF!

FatTire playing devil advocate might serve a better means when used in a trail debate about Demo or in F-88, not when someone is shot.

No one wants to see a cyclist injured! Wish her a speedy recover and karma runs over the culprit. Reminds me of the unfortunate hit and run in the Presidio many months ago.

·
Registered
225 Posts
sorry, was just reacting to the assumption that since she was on a bike, she was a 'cyclist', it takes more than just being on a bike, doesnt it? jumping to conclusions without the data tends toget people into trouble (can anyone say iraq). still... i wasnt trying to offend people, all appologies if i did, i was merely attempting to inspire thought.

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FatTire said:
sorry, was just reacting to the assumption that since she was on a bike, she was a 'cyclist', it takes more than just being on a bike, doesnt it?....
not sure there mang...kind of an intereting question though....at what level of "non-newbieness" is one considered an accepted member of a hobby/sport/group??...probably the wrong thread to discuss.....but what the hey...I'm the OP..

·
Registered
225 Posts
hmmm, while i do not know the answer, i dont think it has to do with how new to riding you are are, and certainly not what kind of bike you ride, rather, i think it has a lot to do with wether or not you ride because you love it, or because, for instance, youve had too many drunk driving convictions...

·
Registered
88 Posts
FatTire said:
You usually only can play devil's advocate when you actually have some details. Someone was shot in the head, I don't see how you can be on anyone's side other than the victims.

·
Coors, the american beer.
3,533 Posts
FatTire said:
reminds me of napa

some lady was illegally crossing lincoln avenue one or two years ago and got hit by a teenager in a suburban ... they later found out that the reason the lady was even on her bike in the first place was becuase of no lisence from duis .... personally i think duis are the only reason huffy stays in business haha

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The media in SF reports just about anyone riding a bike as a bicyclist, it's just the terminology used. I remember a case where a homeless guy stole a bike and got killed riding it, and they reported him as a cyclist. The term is more specific to me, but the media doesn't share my view.

That said, that's not one of SF's better neighborhoods; could well be either an execution or a stray bullet from someone else's...

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
My Guess : Wrong Place, Wrong Time

I know nothing about this particular incident, but I do know that there's some outta control gangs in Ingleside and none of them have any gun skills. One of the two gangs that clashed on Halloween was from Ingleside. 10 people shot, most were caught in "accidental crossfire". I hope she has a full recovery.

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
FatTire said:
you're a fvckin' genius aren't you?
If it's a crackhead with too many dui's it's o.k.?
She was riding a bike... she's a cyclist.
I'll keep my insults and personal attacks to myself this time:nono:

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
CHUM said:
not sure there mang...kind of an intereting question though....at what level of "non-newbieness" is one considered an accepted member of a hobby/sport/group??...probably the wrong thread to discuss.....but what the hey...I'm the OP..
easy.. when you're on a bike you're a cyclist
driving a car? you're a motorist.
riding a fixed gear and wearing a white belt (at the same time?) a hipster.
shooting someone in the back of the head?... scumbag.

Some things are black and white.

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
FatTire said:
hmmm, while i do not know the answer, i dont think it has to do with how new to riding you are are, and certainly not what kind of bike you ride, rather, i think it has a lot to do with wether or not you ride because you love it, or because, for instance, youve had too many drunk driving convictions...
I was convicted of DUI 17 years ago. I lost my license and never bothered to get it back. I ride for recreation, transportation, stress relief, anger management and just because I can and sometimes I have to. I started when I was 6 and never stopped...even when I was a car-driving teen... what does that make me?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.