Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 183 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
I am watching this devolve, and suggest that before it does further, we all stop and consider a few things:
  • We all have the benefit of hindsight. The OP made what he thought was a reasonable decision at the time. But for the screwup at the dealer, it was a reasonable decision.
  • Trek Bikes- It is all too easy to lump Trek Bikes into some big monolithic corporation. At the end of the day, it is large company, made up of multiple divisions (the factory stores are likely operated completely separately from the manufacturing side), but employs human beings. Likely, most of those human beings are bicycle enthusiasts and others are people who have no interest in bikes, they get their paycheck and could care less if they work for Philip Morris, Hitler, Trek, or Mother Theresa, as long as their check shows up at the end of the week. Every decent sized company, no matter how well intentioned and good, has some bad actors.
  • There is an issue at the store level. Whether it was just the salesperson acting in an underhanded manner, or extends up to the manager, we don't know. I would be willing to be that someone over at Trek corporate right now is trying to figure it out, as this is not the relationship they want with their customers or how they want to be viewed by potential customers.
  • There is a shortage of available product- Except for the last year, the dealer would have had a replacement bike in a matter of days and a good dealer would have given a discount on the bike or on accessories to help make the OP feel better and keep them as a customer. That isn't an option right now. At best, the dealer will dial for dollars and possibly find another that has one in stock and be willing to sell it.
For the OP:
  • A representative from Trek has now reached out to you. Please take the opportunity to the use the resource. Hopefully Mitch can facilitate getting you the bike you want, or at least one that you are happy with.
  • If you are looking at 6+ months to get the bike you want, consider other options. I believe you can get an Ibis Ripley in a matter of a couple of months if you put in an order right now from one of the larger dealers. Smaller dealers may have models in stock if you are willing to call around. The same applies for some of the other small to midsized brands (Norco, Kona, and Transition spring to mind).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Would anybody at Trek corporate really care? They’ll sell all their bikes for 2021 and for 2022, we’re talking about one less sale here.

Reactions: zstover

·
Registered
488 Posts
You need to disclose the discount percentage so we can judge your desperation level. 👀

I really hope it’s more than 30% off MSRP.

·
Registered
Keep things simple
260 Posts
I understand what @Cary posted. Well said. However.....a couple of thoughts.

When I buy and get an equitable price, I plunk down my dollars and do the deal right away and leave with whatever I bought.
I understand goof ups, but I do not accept them. Even to my detriment. Being polite and allowing a seller to make good is always a plus.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
438 Posts
I’m really struggling with this.

The Trek store really did him dirty selling off a bike he put a deposit on.

However, you’re simply the chump who put down a deposit when someone else came in with full payment(maybe even extra) you’re the one left without a bike.

I’ve always operated on the spectrum that if
want something, pay for it and be done with it. Cash talks...

I’m in a version of sales and I simply can’t waste my time on people not willing to do actual business, the person that wants to drop cash and PAY ME has my complete attention...

However, I would NEVER “hold” an item for a client and then sell it under their nose.
I simply don’t “hold” anything.

If you want it, you buy it. I don’t take partial payments or deposits.

In the end, the OP was done dirty. He paid to have it held, then hold it. If you sold it under his nose, own up your douche like ways and refund him...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
You went into the Trek Store with a Trek card that offers 12 months interest free financing and you decide to put a down payment on the bike to hold it for a month instead of just buying it and bringing it home and letting it sit in your apartment?

I kinda don't feel sorry for you...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone else find it slightly odd that the store is selling below MSRP right now?

I'm gonna go with, 'no matter how thin the pancake, there's still 2 sides'...
I was thinking this too. Most shops are completely void of stock so why would they offer a discount unless its a stupid expensive ride. Can't imagine the market for $12,000 Colnagos has been impacted by covid lol

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
At first I was like.....meh. Too late now -it has already happened.
Assuming he sold a bike not to recooperate money knowing you're going to be gone for a while -they gambled that one would arrive in time.
Then it went on where you were getting a good price break on an upgraded model.

Then it went to crap when you state you've spoken with the salesman an hour beforehand.

Yeah, their friend paid a good price to get the bike today because you're not around to argue it.
At this point, I would make it will known to your friends and friends friends. Regardless of how well you liked them before today -the story would go "I left town after paying a $600 deposit and while away they sold it to their friend."
Unless you have no other Trek store to purchase from -sounds like you are no longer required to be a Trek supporter just due to that particular shop taking our bike away.
I'm not usually on the side of the complainer on forums but in this case I feel that I would do exactly as I stated if my shops did that to me. I like all 3 shops but if they sold a bike after I paid money on it, I would not buy from them. I'd first give them one chance -but today with everything out of stock I would not be waiting for them for more than a few days. They need to get on the phone to find a place in the U.S. that can have it shipped.

A friend of mine is shopping for a bike. He requires XL which are hard to find anyway. A shop he spoke to on the phone from hours away found one to have it sent! It arrived and my friend went to look. Unfortunately the bike was damaged. It looks like the shipping shop left the seat installed during shipping -the seat tube has a nasty crack down it as if the seat post was a lever to bend the bike frame.
The point..... the shop has no clue who my friend is aside from "I want to buy a buy that says is in your inventory".
If your shop can't find a place in the U.S. to ship one for you -then time to find something else. Too bad though every manufacturer is in a similar situation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
I find it hard to believe your story. Anyone serious about bikes during these times of extreme supply chain issues would have paid for the bike in full and safely stored it at home. You are upset because some sort of mistake happened, that's life. What if the shop got robbed and your bike disappeared that way? You would be in the same situation, "needing" to buy a bike.

The fact that you just created an account to whine about your situation just diminishes your position further. Just go buy a bike and move on with your life.
Lol, funny guy . I do a layaway or whatever the heck I want with my money. You do you. Do you want me to show the receipts including names and pictures? I dint knew about the situation because I have a life after I ride my MTB. The bike shop did a very unprofessional move by selling an already sold bike. If you are ok breaking agreements in life just for fun thats you and you will have to live with that curse. I have a 2002 account so old I cant find the password so I created a new one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
At first I was like.....meh. Too late now -it has already happened.
Assuming he sold a bike not to recooperate money knowing you're going to be gone for a while -they gambled that one would arrive in time.
Then it went on where you were getting a good price break on an upgraded model.

Then it went to crap when you state you've spoken with the salesman an hour beforehand.

Yeah, their friend paid a good price to get the bike today because you're not around to argue it.
At this point, I would make it will known to your friends and friends friends. Regardless of how well you liked them before today -the story would go "I left town after paying a $600 deposit and while away they sold it to their friend."
Unless you have no other Trek store to purchase from -sounds like you are no longer required to be a Trek supporter just due to that particular shop taking our bike away.
I'm not usually on the side of the complainer on forums but in this case I feel that I would do exactly as I stated if my shops did that to me. I like all 3 shops but if they sold a bike after I paid money on it, I would not buy from them. I'd first give them one chance -but today with everything out of stock I would not be waiting for them for more than a few days. They need to get on the phone to find a place in the U.S. that can have it shipped.

A friend of mine is shopping for a bike. He requires XL which are hard to find anyway. A shop he spoke to on the phone from hours away found one to have it sent! It arrived and my friend went to look. Unfortunately the bike was damaged. It looks like the shipping shop left the seat installed during shipping -the seat tube has a nasty crack down it as if the seat post was a lever to bend the bike frame.
The point..... the shop has no clue who my friend is aside from "I want to buy a buy that says is in your inventory".
If your shop can't find a place in the U.S. to ship one for you -then time to find something else. Too bad though every manufacturer is in a similar situation.
Yes, i did sold my other bike

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Trek is good on stuff like this. You didnt need to make this thread. Id say you brought on the jabronis like verboten, but that said, i feel your pain.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Trek is good on stuff like this. You didnt need to make this thread. Id say you brought on the jabronis like verboten, but that said, i feel your pain.
However, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. He went through more of a headache trying to work things out before coming on here than many others would have.

Personally, I doubt whether the result would have been the same without going public.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I ask several time to the TREK Salesperson if it was ok to do a Layaway on the bike and pick it up in a couple of weeks, he said yes, the store has a 90 DAYS Layaway policy.

On Thursday I receive an email from the same Salesperson saying that he Sold the bike to another customer.
I just bought a bike last week that I put on layaway at another dealer. I bought a Surly Disc Trucker from a store 300 miles from my house down in Maryland -- the only other dealer with inventory was in Phoenix, and I live in Connecticut. I couldn't get down there for a couple weeks, and was sweating bullets the whole time. I called the salesman weekly to check in and make sure everything was OK. Finally, last Monday, I drove down to Maryland and got the bike. Everything went smoothly, to my great relief, but I was sure nervous for three weeks. When I got there, I saw that this store had my bike clearly tagged and in a separate storage cage (with 50 other bikes on layaway) so that there was no chance they would accidentally sell a bike out from under a customer by leaving it on the floor.

I would call Trek corporate and raise hell in a firm but polite "I'm not going to go away until you fix this" mode. My dad was a master of wearing people down until he got what he wanted. Never raised his voice once in 50 years that I saw him do this. He just kept grinding away with the facts, over and over, no matter how many people they would transfer him to. Wearing them down works much better than throwing a tantrum, even if it does take longer, because you don't give them a reason to hate you and go out of their way to make sure you're left unhappy.

Even though they are probably not legally obligated to do anything, since you got screwed by an independent dealer, it does affect their brand. That's especially true when you're dealing with a "Trek" branded store, not "Bob's Bikes." The dealer sales team should have access to some inventory to deal with abject screw-ups and to deal with dealers that engage in sleazy practices, in the event they sold it to someone who paid over list.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
However, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. He went through more of a headache trying to work things out before coming on here than many others would have.

Personally, I doubt whether the result would have been the same without going public.
fair point.

·
Registered
Ibis Ripley V4
438 Posts
Lol, funny guy . I do a layaway or whatever the heck I want with my money. You do you. Do you want me to show the receipts including names and pictures? I dint new about the situation because I have a life after I ride my MTB. The bike dod a very low move by selling an already sold bike, by the way, today I ready a couple of reciews for that store and many people complain about the same thing. If you are ok breaking agreements in life just for fun that you and you will have to live with that curse. I have a 2002 account so old I cant find the pasaword so I created a new one. Also, apparently this was a big deal to TREK CORP , they are taking the case and working a deal with me.
You keep taking this “moral high ground”, yet you don’t have a bike.

you had the opportunity to take a bike HOME.

You passed, you lost.

Next time, pay for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Anyone else find it slightly odd that the store is selling below MSRP right now?

I'm gonna go with, 'no matter how thin the pancake, there's still 2 sides'...
The price of the bike I put on layaway was Full MSRP, I have receipts. The discount was offered to me as a compensation for their Unprofessionalism. But I had to wait over 400 days

81 - 100 of 183 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.