Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Why in the F are you still giving this store the time of day? Take your money elsewhere. You keep saying "the discount" but how is a discount of any value on a bike that a) has a big lead time and b) they haven't even ordered yet!

Find another bike from another brand that's actually in stock and won't treat you like crap, or buy a used bike to hold you over until this new bike craziness stops.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Good Morning,

2 Weeks ago I went to a Trek Bicycle Store to Buy a Top Fuel 9.8, They had only 1 left, and it was Large, My size. I used my Trek Credit Card and put a down payment because I was going to travels (WORK) for the rest of the month and It didn't make any sense to get a $6k bike to sit in my apartment for 1 month. I ask several time to the TREK Salesperson if it was ok to do a Layaway on the bike and pick it up in a couple of weeks, he said yes, the store has a 90 DAYS Layaway policy. I put a down payment on Saturday, that next Tuesday, I email the Salesperson to ask about a XXX Bontrager Seatpost for the bike, he doesn't answer, I proceed to call on Wednesday. He tells me that they are out of stock without ETA. On Thursday I receive an email from the same Salesperson saying that he Sold the bike to another customer but he might have allocations for 2 cheaper ones in the next few months but the one I had on Layaway had a lead time of over 400 days.

First of all , I think this is a very low move from a TREK Bicycle Store, specially when I was calling them for parts for that same bike and the fact that TREK has no bikes, all they have are Lead time for over a year.

Story continues:

On Saturday (1 Week after I put the Top Fuel on Layaway),I go back to see the manager and to check if I had other options, the lowest LEAD time was the TOP Fuel 9.9AXS (out of my budget) and a TOP FUEL 9.9 X01. I double the amount of money for the Down payment and order a TOP FUEL 9.9 X01. Between Tuesday and Wednesday I receive a call again saying the the lead time (July 2021) changed to December 2021. I said, OK, lets continue with the order. on Saturday I go again to the store to Triple the amount of money I putted down the first time and the manager tells me the the bike is Out of Stock and cant be ordered anymore. At this point I am thinking that the Manager is delaying the process and not ordering the bike on the spot. He might be delaying the order on purpose to not sell me a bike at a discount or he just might not care enough about the huge mess they did and he is just ordering stuff last minute.

That same Saturday we decide to go with the TOP FUEL 9.9 AXS, today is Tuesday and I still haven't received a confirmation call saying that the order was placed successfully. Today , I will call back in the afternoon to check if the order went thru.

Have this happened to any of you ?

What do you think is happening here?

Is this the way TREK BICYCLE STORES work?, doesn't it damage their image?
There is an old saying that applies here: “First time shame on you, second time shame on me.”

·
Registered
213 Posts
Are they allowed to sell above MSRP? Specially after the sold it to me MSRP, do you think they where bidding the bike?
No, but that's where the "Cash Under the Table" comes in handy.
Either way, It's greasy and slimy and needs to be rectified

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wake up Bro. NEVER set foot in that shithole shop...ever...again----not even for a tube or lube. ..There is zero excuse for Your situation, and in fact is obviously a low manouver by the shop to sell YOUR bike to someone else for MORE money than they were going to get from selling it TO YOU. They said **** YOU to you. They thought : WHO CARES about this guy. Let's just sell it to someone else for MORE, alas, BEHIND YOUR BACK.

I was poorly treated by some asshat at Fanatic Bike last year and I can tell you, though it used to be my favorite shop, I will never--ever--spend ANOTHER cent in their store, NOR will anyone---in--my--family. NOR will anyone--I know, because I am that influencial. The ONLY way to get back at these types of asshats is to hit them where it hurts : $$$

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I am giving them until today for an Order Number, If not, I will contact corporate and share the receipts and emails here
And do what? Trek corporate most likely are not going to give you a bike. That shop sucks, but they don't truly work for Trek anymore than your local Ford or GM car dealership work for those brands.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why did you go back? Just find another shop and go for a drive if you have to.
I wanted a 2020 Fuel Ex 7 in july of 2020. Shop told me, yeah, maybe Jan/Feb of 2021. I drove to Tennessee and had one that week.
I decided I wanted a 2021 Slash 8 LAST WEEK. Local said, "LOL, Uh, November 2022." I drove to Alabama on Friday and rode saturday.

You want a bike? Find the bike.
Same. My local said "maybe xmas" on a fuel ex8... the next day I drove up to wisconsin and bought one from a different trek store.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not sure I would have ever stepped foot in that store again after selling a bike I had on Layaway.
That’s my take. At the least I wouldn’t give them my business and I might consider bailing on Trek Bikes all together.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Wake up Bro. NEVER set foot in that shithole shop...ever...again----not even for a tube or lube. ..There is zero excuse for Your situation, and in fact is obviously a low manouver by the shop to sell YOUR bike to someone else for MORE money than they were going to get from selling it TO YOU. They said **** YOU to you. They thought : WHO CARES about this guy. Let's just sell it to someone else for MORE, alas, BEHIND YOUR BACK.

I was poorly treated by some asshat at Fanatic Bike last year and I can tell you, though it used to be my favorite shop, I will never--ever--spend ANOTHER cent in their store, NOR will anyone---in--my--family. NOR will anyone--I know, because I am that influencial. The ONLY way to get back at these types of asshats is to hit them where it hurts : $$$

The shop is playing homie. No one at that shop is gonna order that bike and give him that deal. No one.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would get in touch with Mitch on this forum and inform him of the incident right away, just so that someone at corporate is in the loop and on your side, he may be able to give you a reason they dont have an order number yet (sometimes our shop waits to get a larger order together because it can save on shipping/handling). I can also see how a shop could mistakenly sell the bike when you had money down. We've accidentally done it in our shop too. Someone comes in, puts money down with one salesperson whom then forgets to pull it off the floor, then the next day a different sales persons sells the bike without looking at our ticket que (our system of keeping track of bikes). Luckily for us, it was a super common bike and the customer just had to wait 45 minutes for us to build a new that was still boxed up. Now if there was money under the table, that's a whole different ball game, but I can absolutely see how it could accidentally happen.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Demand your money back and contact corporate. Give them the shop name, the employees with whom you corresponded, describe what happened, and then cut your loss and look elsewhere. No "discount" is worth them giving you the run around.

You're not saving anything if they're wasting your time.

41 - 60 of 183 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.