Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good Afternoon,

Summary: I put a bike on layaway and Store Sold it 2 days after....

Resolution:
The store and I came into an agreement.

thanks All for your feedback.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Why did you go back? Just find another shop and go for a drive if you have to.
I wanted a 2020 Fuel Ex 7 in july of 2020. Shop told me, yeah, maybe Jan/Feb of 2021. I drove to Tennessee and had one that week.
I decided I wanted a 2021 Slash 8 LAST WEEK. Local said, "LOL, Uh, November 2022." I drove to Alabama on Friday and rode saturday.

You want a bike? Find the bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Selling a bike they had on lay away is definitely NOT right. However, I'm gonna be blunt with you, what ever lead time they give you on a Top Fuel is very likely to get pushed back. I've had my eye on a couple (Procaliber Frameset and FX Sport Carbon 4) and every time they're supposed to be in stock, the date gets pushed back. I work part time at a dealer so I can see the anticipated dates, and they change on a fairly regular basis. The Top Fuel 9.9 X01 has lead times ranging from 325 days to not even orderable, depending on size and color. The Top Fuel 9.9 Axs has lead times ranging from 205 to 389 days depending on size and color, with some sizes not available at all. If I check back in a month, they'll likely all be different. Unfortunately, this is how a lot of the big brands in the industry are right now.

There's a gentleman named Mitch on this forum that may be able to help you locate something in-stock at another store. I feel that's your best option, as trying to order anything at this time is hit or miss. I've also been trying to order a the front bike packing rack (From the Trek 1120) since January. First I had to wait till Feb 4, then sometime in March, then April 18, now it says anywhere from May 17th to October 4th, again depending on color.

·
Super Moderator
4,385 Posts
As someone managing back orders right now I can tell you my worst nightmare is accidentally selling a bike thats on order.

But for a bike that's in-store? Something went horribly wrong, the point of sale database shouldn't have allowed it to be sold (when a layaway is created it takes inventory to zero AND flags the bike as sold). Even my back orders are flagged as soon as we receive them into inventory it shows as being assigned to someone in layaway.

Your description of how it was handled by the shop is where they piled another mistake on the original mistake.

I feel really bad for everyone involved. I really hope the shop comes through for you on the 9.9AXS, that is an absolutely killer bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
TOP FUEL XX1AXS smoke blue,Large
205 Days is what's shown at this time. The reason I ask is because the other colors are available only in mediums and the smoke blue is only available in L and XL, I just wanted to make sure they weren't giving you the run around, but the info they gave you appears correct.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks

Thank you for your words, I worked on a bike shop for a few years and everything you are saying is absolutely correct. They sold the bike to a friend of them, I also heard rummors that the friend paid some cash under the table
My initial thought was they sold it to someone who offered more $$$$.
Selling to a friend with "cash under the table" is just as bad.

If it were me I'd go right to the top of Trek and let them know what this Vendor is doing.

·
No known cure
4,258 Posts
My initial thought was they sold it to someone who offered more $$$$.
Selling to a friend with "cash under the table" is just as bad.

If it were me I'd go right to the top of Trek and let them know what this Vendor is doing.
I'd be livid, and if I signed my name on the layaway (contract), I'd be breaking one off and scorching the Earth.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.