Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for a nice pair of chamois for the racing season and keep seeing bib shorts. Can someone explain to me the benefit of these, as they seem cumbersome. Would be willing to purchase if they are practical and comfortable but at first glance they are non of the above. Appreciate some input.

dt3

·
Registered
417 Posts
Bibs keep everything in place and make the shorts fit comfortably all over. Your shorts won't slide around causing chaffing and making the chamois move where you don't need it. Buy one pair and you'll never go back.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats all i needed to hear, thank u lots :thumbsup: i got my finger on the purchase trigger just waiting for some support.

dt3

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I love my bibs. that is all I ever wear.

I always wear an "under armor" type shirt under the shoulder straps...even in hot weather. I think it is nice to have the compression support for your upper body muscles to help with all the constant jarring and vibrations. Usually they are long sleeve...but not always. Long sleeve white in hot sunny weather can protect your skin and reflect heat. I always wear a true bike jersey over them

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went from road riding to mountain biking, which means I naturally brought the bibs across the sports with it.

Go bibs over shorts almost every time. Like previous posts have stated, they don't move around like shorts do.... and I find that having no elastic around the waist is another comfort benefit.

Just learn how to hike up one of the legs to pee out the side for toilet breaks and you will be fine.

·
Registered
189 Posts
There can be variation in quality though. I have 2 bib shorts - one is only so so in terms of comfort (the legs seem a liitle short and ride up, the overshoulder straps are a bit narrow and the chamois is not great). The other one is absolutely superb - you hardly notice it on long rides - a good thing. They were costly though but heartly recommended.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Like so many things in life, you get what you pay for. But, in mountainbiking there is such a chance of crashing and tearing up your shorts, I won't pay top dollar for the best bibs possible. Instead, I look for the best pair I can find that don't cost so much that if I destroyed 'em on the first ride I'd want to jump off a bridge or something. For me, Voler fits this bill the best. Really good quality at a very reasonable price, especially when they're on sale, which is pretty often. Only place to find 'em is at velowear.com

Some of the Performance brand bibs aren't too bad, either, but I like the Voler bibs better.

·
Registered
281 Posts
sounds like you already bought them, but...IMO...try them on before buying them. a nice pair of shorts are my favorite for long days...going to the bathroom is a pain in bibs if you're in them all day. a good pair of shorts is just as comfortable as any bib...you just have to find your happy pair.

I do like my bibs as well...there's just different situations where shorts are better. and like scooter said above, bibs are usually pricier, meaning one crash and you're spending more.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I went to Performance Bike over the weekend with a gift card I had gotten for Christmas. I was'nt specifically looking for anything but came across their 2009 team bibs on sale. They looked pretty cool so I went and tried them on. I was very suprised how well and comfortable they fit. Following day I'm on the trails with them and they felt great. I've never had problems with regular lycra/spandex riding shorts as far as slipping or moving around, but I noticed it felt like I could breath more easy with the bibs. I've been riding for about 5 years now and never really paid attention to bibs. I guess I thought they were kind of wierd or something...But after one ride with them, I'm sold on em.

·
Registered
400 Posts
BKruahnndon said:
sounds like you already bought them, but...IMO...try them on before buying them. a nice pair of shorts are my favorite for long days...going to the bathroom is a pain in bibs if you're in them all day. a good pair of shorts is just as comfortable as any bib...you just have to find your happy pair.

I do like my bibs as well...there's just different situations where shorts are better. and like scooter said above, bibs are usually pricier, meaning one crash and you're spending more.
Ditto that, bibs have not worked out for me. The only added comfort is they don't bunch up under my belly like shorts. Otherwise I've had trouble with the straps chafing my nipples, they are a pain if you have to take a dump, and if they don't fit just right you can't adjust them because they will quickly go back to their natural position. I do like them for short rides but I stick to shorts if it's going to be more than a few hours.

I like the tip of wearing the compression top underneath them, I'll have to give that a shot.

·
More than a little slow
654 Posts
brassnipples said:
Ditto that, bibs have not worked out for me. The only added comfort is they don't bunch up under my belly like shorts. Otherwise I've had trouble with the straps chafing my nipples, they are a pain if you have to take a dump, and if they don't fit just right you can't adjust them because they will quickly go back to their natural position. I do like them for short rides but I stick to shorts if it's going to be more than a few hours.

I like the tip of wearing the compression top underneath them, I'll have to give that a shot.
I haven't had any success with bib shorts. I don't find them any more comfortable than shorts and more of a pain in many situations. But having said that, there are so many people that absolutely love 'em that if you are doing a fair bit of riding you really do have to try them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts