Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have been convinced to go with bib shorts (as I am a big guy at 6'/250lbs). What brands are good? I don't really want to spend more than $100 on them (and I would like to get 2 pair if at all possible). Has anyone had any good experiences with the generic (Nashbar, Performance, CBO, etc) brands?

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Performance are nice

If you want to go with the cheaper brands. I got 2 pair of their top of the line bibs for like $79 2 yrs ago when they were running a buy one get one for 1/2 price sale. They are fairly comfortable however I really dislike the mesh straps that most bibs in the US market have. I prefer the "bib" portion to be made of the same material as the shorts.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
If you're looking for good quality at great prices, check out Voler at velowear.com. These are MUCH nicer than what you get a Performance and Nashbar but comparably priced. They do monthly specials if you sign up for the email list and put the bibs on sale twice a year (bib should be coming up in the next month or two). You can also check out some other companies that have Voler make their shorts. They are often very inexpensive if you don't mind being a billboard for their advertising.

http://www.velowear.com/category2.asp?cartid=0744042606283092&cat=CAT-BOTTOMS-MENS-BIBS

http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=P...&AMI=10050&uir=product.category,CLTH,Clothing

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used to wear the performance elite bibs. They were ok, but then I tried a pair of bellweather drylines. Man they rock. They use a very similar chamios to the castelli bibs which rock but they are $150. The last bellweather's I bought were about $75 each.

ONe thing I have learned since buying spendy shorts is to wear a pair of baggies over them. they last much longer when you aren't getting them snaged on everything. Especially the bellweather as they are not the usuall lycra.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I have 2 pair of the Performance bibs and love them. The only downside to bibs is taking a piss.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
shiggy said:
I second the Volers. Very good. Comfortable. Durable. Affordable.
Yes. Ditto. I have two pairs of their ones in Road Bike Review styling and continuously impressed with the quality and comfort for such a reasonable price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts