Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
My wife got one of these within a few hours of it being offered on the Jenson website (Her first SS!). We were about to order a Zion frame for her, along with various parts to build it up, when we saw this deal...can't beat the free MX comp! She rode it for the first time today...running it rigid at the moment, which she likes, but the steering is way to twitchy due to the front end being so low. Installing the MX comp is going to raise the front end enough to slow the steering down a bit, but she's asking me what to do if she wants to go back to the rigid fork...guess I'll have to find a high rise stem / handlebar combo or tell to just get used to the ultra twitchy steering! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wow! That looks like a great deal. Any opinions about the SASS? I wasn't really looking at it becuse I thought they were alot more money and I was just going to build up a 1 x 1. But now I'm thinking.....

So, any opinions out there about this bike? I have read the reviews and searched past posts. Looks like there might be a problem with the chain tensioning and I am a little concerned about that.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
20,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
labrat73 said:
Wow! That looks like a great deal. Any opinions about the SASS? I wasn't really looking at it becuse I thought they were alot more money and I was just going to build up a 1 x 1. But now I'm thinking.....

So, any opinions out there about this bike? I have read the reviews and searched past posts. Looks like there might be a problem with the chain tensioning and I am a little concerned about that.

Thoughts?
I have read great things about them, and if I didn't have less than a year on my Zion, I would definitely get one, actually the SAAS' build with the MX Comp is pretty similar to my Zion's build.

Cheers,
Cris

·
Registered
534 Posts
labrat73 - Not sure on the chain tension thing yet (my wife only has one ride on it!) but the bike is very nice...only thing we switched out was the saddle and seatpost (she hated the Rocket V saddle and the stock post was a tad short). Other than the very low front end with the stock rigid fork, the bike is a blast to ride. Even though the Jenson site claims it comes with an ISIS crank/BB, ours arrived with the GXP version.

Like Cris, I've got a Zion frame built up as my SS, but I have to admit that I'm now a bit jealous of my wife's SASS...especially when we get the MX comp on it.

Attachments

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,626 Posts
trailnimal said:
the problem I see with the SASS is that the it has sliding axle adjustment with disc brakes and so could be prone to brake alignment issues. What has been you experience on this?
I have an older SISS and the rear disc mounts are slotted so you can adjust the position of the caliper. I'm pretty sure that this is the same design used on these frames.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i bought this bike, really fun bike. i did not wait and put the comp on it right away. Lets put it this way, I dont notice the front fork(so it must be doing the job) and the bike is really fun to ride. The tensioners work as they should and The bike is just a blast. Its not the best deal in the world but a pretty good one. Sizes are running out thought

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.