Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm Looking for some help, I wanna run a 1x9 setup on my Singlespeed but I dont know how to go about it without wasting money, so I have a couple of questions.

Bike is pictured below

1. What do I buy (I'm thinking X9 or XTR but how is that going to work with my horizontal dropouts,also which is lighter?) any other hardware that I need?

2. What happens to my chainline now?

3. I only ride in the city so I'm thinking about removing the rear brake and using that cable for my new rear Derailleur so things don't get messy.

4.Lighest cassete available except for Ti (too expensive)

5. Is this going to be problematic, or is it pretty solid plug and play.

I'm gonna list it in classifieds but if anyone's interested in trading, I want a white bros 29er carbon fork rigid, and I'll give you my reba.

thanks guys...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
if you have a singlespeed hub, you're going to need a new hub(or complete wheel) in order to put a full 8 or 9 speed cogset on. Sram X.0 and XTR really are going to give you good shifting and be relatively light at the same time - really comes down to which brand you want to go with.

your chainline should be fine, similar to running a regular 1x9 setup. the wheel would be dished to accommodate for the cassette, which should maintain your chainline.

you're also going to need to do something for a der. hanger.. they make sliders with a hanger - or go the saint route, which requires the saint hub and bolts to the axle (there are apparently ways you can do this with any hub, search)

either way, its not going to be cheap, you'd probably be better off with another bike. the monocog flight 29er comes to mind...

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
jgsatl said:
would something like this work on the bianchi?

https://www.bikemannetwork.com/biking/p/SSCHTEN/FS3102

i think you can then modify a cassette into 4 or 5 gears to fit your hub if it's a standard freewheel style hub. not sure what you got there. kinda like this:

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=424972
those should work with any horizontal dropout.

OP said wants to run 1x9, but as pointed out by jgsatl, running only 4 or 5 gears would be far more economical, since you wont have to build a wheel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok looks like it's gonna be 1X4, which i'm fine with, mainly just need a smaller ratio when i'm going over the bridges. where can i get those thingys with the zip ties?

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
jensonusa has 'em. i've seen them at my lbs as well. well, one of them. the other hadn't even heard of 'em.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.